Options

walking tours

we are scheduled for Rendezvous on the Seine in June 2024. We are trying to decide between the Marais walking tour and the Paris Islands walking tour. Any recommendation or insight from anyone on these 2 tours. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Comments

• Options

The Marais area of Paris is a wonderfully vibrant area with something for all tastes--shopping, bars, restaurants, museums (the Picasso being one of them) and architecture. The area was once the Jewish Quarter and you can still find many kosher restaurants in the area. If you like falafel, try it there. Nearby is a lovely park that offers a nice respite from the hustle and bustle of the city.

We strolled through this area after the end of a different Seine River cruise last April. It was not part of the Tauck tour so I don't know what Tauck would cover, but I would definitely recommend visiting there. I have no experience with the other walking tour. Enjoy your journey and please consider posting a review afterwards.

• Options
    edited March 24

We’re also on this trip in June, beginning on the 17th. We did a Tours by Locals walking tour of the Marais last spring; I agree it’s definitely worth seeing. You won’t have time on the Tauck tour for lunch, maybe you could grab a falafel while walking around. Messy but delicious!

We’re going to do the tour of the Ile de la Cite and the Ile Saint-Louis. We want to see the progress on Notre Dame and get some ice cream at Berthillon.

I’ve been to Paris several times, it really depends on what you are interested in seeing. You’ll be able to speak with the TD when you arrive about what will be covered, or call Tauck, they often have very detailed info. If you sign up for one then change your mind, it’s usually not a big deal. They should have 3 buses going, one for each walking tour, so there will be plenty of room.

• Options

I don't think you can go wrong on either walking tour. The Marais is more low key where the islands have several of the main historic buildings of Paris. Makes sense since those islands are the historic center of Paris.

We did the Marais walking tour on a different Tauck tour and it was lovely, not too taxing. We've also been on the two islands on our own to see the exterior of Notre Dame and to tour the Saint Chapelle. Again, not a taxing walk. Sadly the cathedral still won't be open by the time of your cruise but the chapelle and the Conciergerie will be.

You might want to get a copy of Rick Steves Paris Pocket guide - updated Jul 2023 - which is very good at describing what you'll see. It's small, has great maps and useful info.

• Options

Thank all of you for your comments. Much appreciated

• Options

By the way mrrancis we are also on the June 17th cruise. Looking forward to meeting you.

• Options

kcook - are you going to Paris early? We’re staying for two nights in a boutique hotel a few blocks from the Tauck hotel, then moving to it for our GOT. The room rate was out of sight for us at the Lutetia.

• Options

Kcook
    Yes we are arriving in Paris on June 16. Since we have toured with Tauck before we get a free night in the Tauck hotel.

• Options
    edited January 30

We’re arriving on the 14th. See you in the Tauck hotel on the 16th, that’s our free night.

• Options

How great to meet fellow 'tour mates' in advance of your trip. Can't wait to hear about your adventures. Don't forget to post reviews! Enjoy!

• Options

kcook
    We are very excited about our Rendezvous on the Seine cruise as this will be our first time in France.

• Options
    edited January 30

If you have never been to Paris, I’d suggest you do the city tour excursion. We did that with Tauck last April; it’s very comprehensive and will give you a good overview of the city and the major landmarks. Or try to book an independent city tour when you arrive before boarding the riverboat on the Monday. Tours by Locals has some great options, we use them frequently.

• Options

kcook
    We are arriving in Paris from London on a train on the morning of the 16th after visiting with some friends from England that we met on a cruise over 30 years ago. We have found some local tours that we plan on doing the 2 days we have before boarding the cruise on the the afternoon of the 17th. We are planning on a Paris Walking/Metro tour and an Eiffel Tower tour. Right now it looks like the day that Tauck is offering museum tours is on a Tues. and the Louvre is not open on Tues. so we are hoping to take a tour of the Louvre one of the days as well. We have found the tours we want to take on Viator which is s site we have used before for tours in different countries.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file