Options

Africa trip July 2013

would love to talk with folks who recently traveled to East Africa.

Comments

• Options
    I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. We were on May 19 Classic Safari. If you have a chance to look at some of the other Kenya & Tanzania topics in this forum, you will find some information that I have already provided to future travelers!
  • Options
    Hi Ilene...I've been meaning to check the Tauck site for several weeks to see how you enjoyed your Tanzania / Kenya safari. We corresponded several times before you left. Beth and I wondered how you enjoyed yourself.

We just returned from a river cruise from Moscow to St Petersburg, Russia. It was good but nothing like Africa. In face, we just made reservations to return to Africa next June. We will visit Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe this time. We will also do a five day pre-safari to Kruger National Park in South Africa. Our Tauck trip gave us the knowledge and confidence to do this next trip in isolated, primitive tent camps. Frankly, we can hardly wait.

Hope you enjoyed your trip...Leo M
  • Options
    Hi Leo - Your information was essential in helping us prepare for the best experience of our lives. The trip was fantastic; and, like you, we are eager to return to Africa. Your proposed itinerary sounds terrific. By any chance are you going with OAT? I don't think Tauck is doing that itinerary yet.

We would also like to look into tented camps. Our favorite "hotel" was the Fairmont Mara Safari Club despite the hippos that grunted all night; and whereas the Mt. Kenya Safari Club was magnificent, it didn't feel like an authentic African experience.

If you want to discuss some more, please feel free to e-mail me at variousmail@bellsouth.net.

Ilene

• Options
    I will email you directly this evening Ilene. Thank you for the direct link. I do want to follow up on next year's planned trip. Yes, you are correct. We are going with OAT but only after determining Tauck did not have a similar trip. We are big fans of Tauck. I'm sure Tauck has its reasons for not offering a more primitive trip but I'm not sure what it could be. The Tauck Tanzania / Kenya safari honed our appetites for an experience that was even closer to the animals, the land and the people....Leo
  • Options
    Like Ilene, we are also willing to offer you any insights we can. We did the Tanzania / Kenya safari on January 20, 2012. You can email me at leo@leomcyr.com or go directly to our blog (link provided below) or both...Leo M.

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/leomcyr/1/1326885220/pod.html

• Options
    My wife "Sam" and I (David) will be traveling from Southern California
    and are anxious to meet all of you. Jordana, Ed, Nancy, Lynne and your sister.
    We have gone thru the blogs and have decided to only bring the duffle and
    a back pack each. Whew 33 lbs. is tough! We may not be very elegant in the evenings.
    We'll get there the 26th to chill the wine.
  • Options
    lexajeanne - I see where you're going on this trip in the summer of 2013. I'm looking for a roommate for that time frame. Any comment. Terri
This discussion has been closed.