Welcome Reception and Tapas Walk and Mooring in Porto

We're leaving on this trip in the next few weeks going eastbound. I have three specific questions:

1. How extensive is the tapas walk on the day we arrive in Madrid? How long does it last? How many tastes do we have? Would it be sufficient for dinner? Since we will have been eating well for the prior 10 days, I'm thinking that this may be a time to have a light snack instead of dinner.

2. What are the grounds like at the Palacio de Queluz? Is there walking on gravel and other non-paved areas? Could I have on flat shoes or sandals or should I wear sneakers?

3. Where does the boat dock in Porto relative to the downtown area? Is it walkable to get back to the boat from the main town? If you went back to the boat for lunch after the included tour what did you do after lunch?

Thank you.

Comments

• edited July 9

We did this tour last October. For the tapas walk, we had two stops. It should be considered a snack not anywhere near a dinner. It was fun. You will enjoy it.

Also, do the treasure hunt in Pinhao. If Tauck still does it, you go to three different shops to sample their products. One shop even opened up on a Sunday just for us.

• edited July 9

The tapas tour is not extensive at all. We also visited just two places. I would consider it a light meal. We have had much tastier and more authentic regional tapas in the area around Plaza Mayor.

Out of deference and for comfort, I would not wear sandals or sneakers when visiting the National Palace. Merely my opinion.

Our boat did not dock anywhere close to the main area of Porto. Instead of returning to the boat for lunch, why not stay in town and enjoy the lovely waterfront area? We did the westbound tour, so our Porto itinerary was probably different from yours.

We absolutely loved this tour. Enjoy.

• The palace is not a residence. It’s more of a museum. We visited when we toured independently. I don’t know how long your tour is but there is a lot of ground you could cover. Wear comfortable footwear for standing, walking. I wore my Hoka athletic shoes.

• Flat shoes or sandals will be fine for Queluz Palace. The pre-dinner cocktails were in the garden that had paved or gravel walkways. I wouldn't suggest wearing sneakers.

• edited July 9
    1. We found the tapas sufficient but if you're still hungry you could always stay and order more food. It was a short walk back to the hotel.
    2. We went in late Oct so the cocktails were served indoors.
    3. No the dock isn't close.enough to town to.walk.
  • Hello Kathy. In 2022 the Madrid tapas tour offered numerous tastings at each of three locations. When in Porto the Andorinha docked across the river in Gaia. Tauck took us by bus over the Douro to tour Porto. You will be fine in dress sandals, flats or low-heels to walk the pathways at the Palacio de Queluz. I would not recommend sneakers or casual sport sandals such as Keens or Tevas unless that is all you plan to pack. It was the only formal dinner setting of our tour. I would not pack special shoes to wear only once.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file