Options

laundry service and tips

About how much does it cost for laundry service (say for 4 outfits)? Do you just pay in cash? How much do you tip for laundry service? Is it one day turnaround service?

Comments

• Options
    It would run around $20.00 depending on the outfit. Both times I sent laundry out, I had 5 and 6 pieces and it was less than US $20. You have to charge it to your room. You can either pay cash or credit at check-out. I always had it back the next day. The Mt Kenya Lodge and Bilila Lodge did a beautiful job without ironing. One time, the laundry was in the
    room when we returned so no tip was involved. The other time, I gave the young man $5 because our room was on the other side of the moon-otherwise I would have given less. If I had to do it all over again, I would not have packed for every conceivable type of weather! I ended up wearing the same things over and over. My advice, pack less and use the laundry service.
  • Options
    loves2travel - thanks for the advice
    So, what would you pack? how many pants? capris? shorts? how many short sleeve tops? long sleeve overshirts? sweater? fleece? rain coat? We leave in 2 weeks and I am probably in that boat you described and in danger of bringing stuff for all potential weather. I'm also confused on footwear. I have some light hiking shoes and some Merrill lightweight (they call them barefoot) closed toe shoes, and a pair of flip flops for pool/shower. I'd love some advice from someone who has been there and now thinks they over packed.
  • Options
    Hi CatLover8,

The answer to shoes is an easy one- and this from someone that loves shoes and overpacked those too. There is very little walking. You won't need any hiking boots. I wore the same Puma slip-on sport shoes everyday.They were perfect for the game drives. The roof of the land rover pops-up so if you want to stand on the seats, they request you take your shoes off. I'm short so I was always stepping on the seat to see and/or take unobstructed photos/videos. Flipflops are a good idea and I left them behind figuring somebody could use them. I wished I would have packed a shoe/sandal for the evening.
    Layering is the key. I wore a 3/4 sleeve knit top under a summer weight cardigan under a lightweight cotton jacket. I wore long khaki pants everyday. If I were to do it again, I would pack 4 pair pants, 4 knit tops, 2 cardigans and 1 cotton jacket. I did have several cotton scarves but I love scarves. The only "just in case or just because" to pack would be a pair of capris and a couple of less casual tops for evening to break the beige boredom. A few men wore shorts and a couple of women wore capris on some of the days but I don't think the temp. ever got higher than the low 70's and in the land rovers on game drives it can be chilly and windy in the morning. I did take a swimsuit but never used it because there was too much to do.
    July and August are their dry winter seasons and although I packed rain jackets and small umbrellas we never used them.
    This is an absolutely incredible adventure. Feel free to ask me more questions.
  • Options
    More shoes questions -- now I am thinking of buying a pair of TOMS as my "safari" slip on shoe. How important is it to wear socks? I would need to buy a larger size than normal if it is important to wear socks. My "barefoot" Merrells would be nice for evening. I am going to bring ONE cotton throw on dress just to be able to wear something different at night and one multi-colored cotton cardigan for those nights I don't wear the dress. I know, it's an indulgence. You're making me think I should choose between bringing the fleece vs. bringing the lightweight rain coat/jacket. No doubt about it, I will have to do a practice pack followed by a lifeboat drill. Everyone keeps saying pack light, then pack lighter.
  • Options
    TOMS would be perfect. I wore socks because I was worried about bug bites. Although I didn't get any bug bites, I would still wear socks because I wouldn't want to stand on the seats in bare feet. If your weather is similiar, I would go with the fleece. Another piece of advice - this is the only trip I have ever been on where there isn't a pharmacy or grocery store of some sort. The lodges are a beautiful oasis in the middle of nothing. Their gift shops have very limited toiletries/medicine if any.
This discussion has been closed.