Options

Security for Valuables at Lodges and iPAD facetime

My husband and I are debating bringing our iPADS on this trip. It is very tempting to do so for entertainment on the long plane rides, reading our iBooks at night, and possibly doing facetime with the grandkids. But I have repeatedly heard that the lodges do not have a place for valuable and any valuables you bring along (cash, passports, cameras, phones, iPADS) need to be with you at all times. That will make for a very full daypack before we even add in the extra layers of clothes and first aid supplies. Any advice? Also, is the WiFi good enough for facetime?

Comments

• Options
    In our room at the Arusha Mountain Lodge, Serengeti Serena Lodge (Bilila), Mt. Kenya Safari Lodge and the Masai Mara Lodge all had safes. Only the Ngorongoro Serena and the Amboseli Serena did not have a room safe, so I locked everything in my suitcase except my passport). I felt perfectly comfortable doing that. I brought my netbook so I could back-up my pictures and videos. I don't recall Wi-Fi at the Arusha because we were only there for one night. I believe Ngorongoro charged but there were 2 computers for guest use. The Serengeti (Bilila) had free Wi-Fi in the public area but it was weak. I used the supplied ethernet cable in the room and it worked great. I think the Amboseli charged because I didn't use it there. The Mount Kenya Safari Club had free Wi-Fi but it was sporadic. They had a free business center with 3 computers. The Masai Mara Lodge had free Wi-Fi in the public areas and it was quite good and they also had 2 computers for guest use.
This discussion has been closed.