Options

From My Experience - Top 10 Travel Tips For Your Safari

Having gone on one Tauck safari (most fantastic experience *ever*!) and gearing up for my second trip, here are some of my best tips I learned the first time around, most of which I followed but some (including #1 tip) I wish I HAD followed!

#1 BEST TIP - bring a good camera with a ZOOM lens. On my last safari I brought a Fuji Finepix point and shot camera. Although it took nice pictures, I was *very* disappointed in myself that I had not brought a camera with a strong zoom lens. There were animals that were further away that I could not get in close up shots. If you are not into photography, you don't need a DSLR or fancy camera, just an automatic camera with a strong zoom. This time around, after doing a lot of research, I bought a Canon Powershot SX40 HS (under $400), which has the equivalent of an 800mm zoom. Don't wait until your trip to learn how to use your camera either, I have been practicing for a few months learning how to use it. It also has the capability to take movies which eliminates the need to bring a separate video camera. I am also bringing a monopod. A tripod is too bulky, but a monopod is good for keeping the camera steady when the jeep has stopped and you have photo opportunities.

Tip #2 - bring good binoculars, especially ones that will auto focus. I brought Bushness Perma Focus binoculars which worked great and were reasonably priced.

Tip #3 - bring a field book. Someone else on my last trip had brought "Wildlife of East Africa" by Martin Withers and David Hosking, which is a small field book full of color photos and descriptions of the birds and animals native to the area. I wish I had gotten it because it was very interesting to identify the birds and animals I was seeing. This time around, I am bringing a copy. In addition to the typical animals (lions, zebras etc) you will see all types of birds, lizards, small animals, etc. and it is neat to look them up and learn more about them.

Tip #4 - CLOTHING - there is a reason for safari colors! The reason is - you will get completely dusty and dirty after a game drive! It may seem weird to pack an entire suitcase full of tan, brown and olive colored clothes, but when you get to Africa you will be glad you did, because these colors blend in better with the natural surroundings and hide the dirt better. It is true that if you are wearing bright colors you are going to stand out! And I would not recommend white because it will get very dirty. Also, wearing dark colors (navy etc) on the game drives gets very hot, and also attracts insects. And don't be afraid to get one of those "safari vests" with a thousand pockets. I wish I had one last time and will probably get one for next time, because on the game drives lots of pockets come in very handy for camera cloths, lip balm, tissues, sunglasses, etc. It is easier to reach into a pocket for what you need than scramble around in your bag and miss a photo opportunity.

Tip #5 - bring a HAT with a brim. I do not wear hats generally, but I had brought a baseball hat. I also wore bandanas quite a bit. Forget about "doing your hair" or looking good, it is impossible with the dirt, wind, etc. Be prepared to look windswept. But, if you are on a game drive in an open roof jeep with the sun beating down on you, you are going to wish you had brought a hat with a brim because you will also want the back of your neck shaded (not just the front like with a baseball cap). Pretty much everyone in our group who hadn't brought the proper hat broke down and bought one on the trip, except the ones you can buy at home are better made. You also want to make sure your hat has a tie, i.e. a way to strap it to your neck so it doesn't blow off in the wind.

Tip # 6 - do not bring jewelry. This is probably common knowledge but can't hurt to repeat. Leave ALL the jewelry at home, earrings, rings, etc. Buy a practical inexpensive watch and leave everything else home. There are several opportunities to buy beaded bracelets which are very inexpensive and colorful.

Tip #7 - no need to overpack. At least once during the trip, you will have the opportunity to do laundry. So you don't need to bring 12 changes of underwear, socks, etc. Count on wearing everything twice and doing laundry once.

Tip #8 - shoes - your shoes are going to get very dusty and dirty. You don't need hiking boots, but you should definitely at least bring sneakers you are comfortable walking in. Don't wait until the trip to see if the shoes you are bringing are comfortable, break them in. I brought sneakers, semi-hiking shoes, and flip flops. 99% of the time on the game drives I wore my semi-hiking shoes (brown), and I wore flip flops about 10% of the time, mainly at night in hotels that had regular walkways. Any place you are staying that has walkways, as opposed to inside hotel corridors, you are not going to want to wear open toe shoes b/c of the dust and dirt.

Tip #9 - pay attention! The animals are everywhere. Your guides are very good at finding animals because they know what to look for. It's not just the obvious (group of zebra over there), it's also sounds, activity or lack of activity, where the birds are flying etc. Take some time before you go and google how to spot animals, you are more likely to see things with 8 pairs of eyes looking than 1 pair. On my last trip, we were stopped in a park looking around. Right outside my window was a bush with a lot of brambles. As we sat there quietly, suddenly I realized in the bush right in front of me was a tiny baby monkey, smaller than a hamster, and his mother, about the size of a squirrel, hopping around on the branches. We would have never seen this if we weren't quiet and paying attention. The animals are EVERYWHERE, you just have to be still and look. And be sure to look UP! We spotted a leopard in a tree that the guides were driving by, it was only 15 feet away. We also drove right by a tree and then discovered there were lions in it. Keep your eyes peeled!

Tip #10 - put down the camera! Probably because I had not brought the best camera on my trip, I spent much more time focusing on what I was seeing, than on trying to get the perfect picture of it. This is really important, because you don't want to get so frenzied about snapping pictures that you see all of Africa through a camera lens. And realistically, except for a few prime shots, you are not looking at your 500 photos on a day to day basis when you get back from your trip. But, if you can put down the camera and look with your eyes, and ingrain into your memory how incredibly beautiful everything you are looking at is, those memories you will be able to call up in your mind forever. From my last trip, I will never forget returning from a game drive, with the sun setting in the background, and a vast plain in the Serengeti and a giraffe slowly walking across the plain, it was so incredibly beautiful, and I didn't have my camera out to take a picture of it, but the image was stunning and what I remember most from my last trip.

I hope these tips have been helpful and that you enjoy your safari, it is an unbelievable experience!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the great tips! We leave on our trip this week and can't wait.

You mentioned the Bushnell binoculars. I looked them up and found several different powers. Which did you get?
  • Options
    I bought the Bushnell Perma Focus 7x50 mm Wide Angle binoculars for about $60 and they worked great.
  • Options
    Thank you for the great info. Tell me more about the shopping opportunities and was there any fabric or cloth?
  • Options
    If you arrive early in Arusha, there is a very interesting local Afican market about a mile from the hotel. Wear good walking shoes and a hat. You should also go with a guide from the hotel, because they speak the language and will help you navigate. This is a local market where locals shop. I bought several yards of different African fabric there very reasonably priced. I don't recall seeing the bolts of fabric anywhere else. As far as Tshirts and souvenirs, each hotel has a gift shop, and at least once on your trip you will get to go to a large shopping area with lots of options. Ask your tauck guide when you will be in shopping areas, and if you see something you like, buy it, because you might not see it again.
  • Options
    Thank you for the helpful suggestions. I am leaving Septemeber 18 and am looking forward to a great adventure.
This discussion has been closed.