Options

Post August 13-27, 2012 Tour / Some Tips & shopping opportunities

I encourage everyone getting ready for this tour to read the Top 10 Travel tips posted on August 25....they are spot on. I would almost take the #1 tip to the next level and say that don't bother bringing a camera, unless it has a zoom lens with at least a 400mm capability. There are many good digital point and shoot cameras out there with this feature and make sure that the lens is "built in"....changing lens in the dusty field is not practical. A good friend with a 250 mm lens was very disappointed with his shots. I used the Leica V Lux3 ($750 after rebate) which had a 600mm capability and was very happy. There are many similar excellent cameras out there which cost a lot less (Panasonic, Sony, etc.) but having spent a fortune for this tour, don't economize and use your European Tour camera.
Re-read Tip #10....put down the camera from time to time....I promised myself I would and didn't do it enough!!
The inflatable pillow was pretty useless.
Do buy a monopod.....Google The Red (or Green) Pod and then buy it on Amazon for about $20....it is a small bead filled bag which screws onto the bottom of all cameras and was great for steadying the camera. You can leave it attached all day.
The electrical convertor plug is the standard 3 prong which was present in all hotel locations. I brought my own, but all hotels had them for loan. If you bring a notebook /laptop, etc. which has a 3 prong power supply plug, bring a convertor which changes it to 2 prong as all the wall convertors present a 2 prong face.
Make sure to put all cell phones on airplane mode which prevents roaming, cellular data charges, etc. which will match your trip costs, if not turned off! Call your carrier, depending on your phone, and make sure to disable these features. You can easily call home using your "disabled" phone with the free Skype App and the hotel's usually free Wifi. You can purchase $10 of Skype credit and then it is about 2 cents a minute. I tried the Magicjack and it did not work as well.
Shopping Tips: There are the same "trinkets" everywhere...every rest stop, airport, park entrance, etc. I was looking for "top" quality, signed by artist, ebony wood carvings. These were available at several locations. The Heritage center at Arusha had some excellent pieces. There is an Art shop at the front of The Mount Kenya Safari Club (Fairmont Hotel) that had the best selection as well as some great oil paintings. The gift shop at The Mara Safari Club (also Fairmont) had some great pieces and lastly, The Nairobi Serena Hotel had great masks and a few excellent carvings. You can try negotiating, but The Fairmont locations are pretty rigid. Keep your eye out for the carved Calabash (Gourd)....there are some great ones out there. The airport shop near the Mara Safari Club had some great ones as well. On the expensive carvings, etc., remember to have your invoice state...."Original Art, signed by artist, wood carving", etc......original art is duty free.
If you buy a Masai war club (they are everywhere), get one made in ebony and then after purelling it, pack it in your checked luggage to avoid confiscation at the airport.

Lastly, bring plenty of Purell and........ constipation will not be a problem during your 2 week Tour!!
Good Luck...IT IS THE TRIP OF A LIFETIME!
Marty

Comments

• Options
    Hi, thanks for these great shopping tips, I was hoping to buy a quality wood carving! Can you give a general price range of what we might expect to pay for one, and did you pay cash or credit card? I know a lot of cards have hefty foreign transaction fees that I was trying to avoid with cash payments for smaller ticket items.
  • Options
    The good quality / signed by artist, ebony wood carvings ranged from $200 - $500. I saw one fantastic large piece at The Mount Kenya Safari Club (upstairs in the back) for $850, but it was too big to carry home and shipping would literally double the price...I still seriously considered it, but it was too scary for my grand kids (Shaman with snakes coming out of the mouth, etc.). I used my Amex for all purchases...I have no foreign transaction fees on my card. Also, The Mount Kenya gallery charges it in US dollars. If you pay in cash, they may give you a discount.
    Note: Ebony is very heavy....you can also double check by making a small nick on the bottom of the piece to confirm that the wood is indeed dark = ebony....however, if it is well carved in another species (e.g Rosewood), I don't think that is a deal breaker.
This discussion has been closed.