Options

Month of Travel

I'm interested in doing this trip in August or September of 2013. Which month would someone recommend and why?

Also, are there days when not on safari that clothes other then "no color" can be worn?

Did anyone have problems with the altitude? Thanks.

Terri

Comments

• Options
    Two of your questions involve a good deal of personal preference. I can only tell you our experience.

We went on this trip from January 20 to February 2, 2012. The weather was fantastic...cool in Ngorongoro and Mt Kenya...and hot in the afternoon on the Serengeti and Masai Mara. There was no rain. There were no mosquitoes and we only encountered tsetse flies while near the Great Migration on the Serengeti. Remember, the seasons in Tanzania are the reverse of ours.

We plan to return to southern Tanzania this October. August, September and October are among the best months for animal viewing. October is toward the end of the dry season and very hot. We are told to expect 105 to 110 degrees at noontime....but we will also be much farther south than your trip. The good news is almost all of the greenery has died off or been eaten. The animals are easy to see. Also, they congregate around the remaining water holes. The short rains usually begin in November.

We also have a trip scheduled for next June / July even farther south in Botswana. It will be winter then. Temperatures as low as 32 degrees can occur during early morning game drives. People dress in layers and peel them off as the day warms into the 70s.

During our Tauck trip people wore whatever color clothing they wanted when not in the safari vehicles. The only colors I would definitely not take would be blue and black. Both are proven to draw tsetse flies. We just read a blog of a lady who wore black socks one day and her ankles were severely bitten by tsetse.

Neither my wife nor I nor anyone we knew on the trip had problems with the altitude. If you decide to go on this safari, I feel certain you will enjoy it as much as we did. Be prepared to fall in love with Africa...Leo M
This discussion has been closed.