Options

Salads at Oberoi

We know all about getting water in sealed bottles. Question is are salads safe to eat at Oberoi hotels as leaf and vegetables are usually washed?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Hello BARMAR,

Eating raw vegetables and salads as well as unpeeled fruit, is strongly discouraged.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    I did the trip in Jan/Feb of this year. Did not touch anything uncooked that I didn't peel myself. Why take the chance. There are a lot of great things to eat. When I came home it was a salad a day for 10 days.
  • Options
    we went december and I ended in the hospital in Mumbai. Do not eat anyhting uncooked, wash your hands carefully and keep your hands away from your mouth. I have a beard and tend to touch it too much. If you are careful you'll have a wonderful trip. If you start to feel lousy, call for a doctor immediately. And be sure to get the insurance
  • Options
    We went over a year and one half ago and we did NOT eat any salads. We each took Pro-Biotics after each meal and I added a pepto-bismol pill to my routine. It is an old thing from the 60's when they gave pepto-bismol pills to the Peace Corps volunteers to use in Africa. We never got "Delhi Belly" or "Mummy Tummy"in Eygpt. Everyone around us was getting sick. At the Oberoi Hotel, they have wonderful Italian food. I lived on it and my oat and honey breakfast bars. Breakfasts were great -- all traditional breakfast items.

Sheila
  • Options
    Tour Director will likely inform you as well to not eat any salads or unpeeled fruits. Generally all the foods at the Oberoi's are safe. We had the cut fruit (banana's, melon's - and even ate the grapes) most days with breakfast.

Speak to your doctor about possibly bringing meds like Cipro with you in case you do get Delhi belly. Hotels also have doctors on call who can treat. If you do get Delhi belly, with meds it will usually clear up in 24 hrs, without meds, can take a long time. Also bring Immodium, Pepto, antacid.

As others have stated, try to keep hands clean - use hand sanitizer. Drink bottled water. The restaurants and kitchens at the hotels are kept very clean and food handling and preparation is done well.

There is no guarantee you won't get sick - often not Delhi belly but stomach upset from all the various new spices you may not be accustomed to.

We love Indian food so had the Indian breakfasts and dinners virtually every day too.
  • Options
    > Generally all the foods at the Oberoi's are safe.

Totally untrue.

> I have a beard and tend to touch it too much. If you are careful you'll have a wonderful trip.

Don't blame yourself when you get sick!

The food service in all but the Dehli and Mumbai Oberoi hotels is horrible. The kitchen staff is just as untrained as the waiters. You will wait hours for your meal and then be served reheated food that you are luck if it was actually frozen before being microwaved. If you are unlucky it was cooked who knows when nuked, and then pushed out the door without a care.

The Oberoi hotels in Dehli and Mumbi are great, but every other one, including the "fancy" one in Jaipur is just horrible in both food quality, service and sanitary conditions. I have seen many get sick from Oberoi meals, personally I was sick after eating in Agra. I'm not sure what you can order that's safe, really it's a crap shoot.

Please bring antibiotics, take them at first sign of travelers diarrhea and hope for the best.
  • Options
    We returned from the Spotlight On India trip in February and stayed in all the same hotels as you up until Mumbai when the tour ended. We did not have any kind of experiences that you mentioned over food. And as far as I know neither did anyone else on the tour. Service was very good and food generally of a high standard in the hotels. Only one lunch was slow service and that was at an Italian place not in the hotel that Tauck used. We even had a cooking lesson at the Delhi Oberoi. Everything is made in house there, the home made yoghurt was one of our favorites. Your digestive system will be 'different than usual' because of the change in diet, but that is not Delhibelly. You definitely need to wash your hands more often or use hand sanitizer but that is because you will be touching things all over the place like handrails and door knobs. I believe that the average person subconsciously touches their face about one hundred times an hour, so it's really hard not to do it.Don't forget, unlike in the US, a job in a hotel or restaurant is a prestigious job and in the Oberoi they only employ the best people. I have seem restaurant kitchens in the US that are disgusting and questionable food handling. I watched someone sneeze all over the meat they were about to serve me in a supermarket once, and we are supposed to be educated.
    Youn mention being able to walk around Delhi, something I would not have done unless I knew exactly where I was going because of being bothered by hawkers an d trying to cross the road in heavy traffic. Best to use a hotel taxi
  • Options
    I took the Northern India and Nepal trip in November, which uses many of the same (Oberoi) hotels as other Tauck India trips. I carried Cipro and attempted to follow the guidance regarding food. To the best of my knowledge, no one on our tour got sick from the food. We made mistakes and even had a salad or two near the end of the trip. Follow the guidance as best you can, but don't go to India with the belief that illness is inevitable. Go prepared to enjoy your vacation.
  • Options
    I cannot understand bsmith's comments. When we went 18 months ago ALL Tauck hotels were, without exception, excellent. Food may be "different" from western diet but that certainly did not make it as bsmith describes.
    Western digestive systems are different from oriental tummys, so LISTEN carefully to your TD at the first meeting. You will be told that it does not need to be food which upsets you, the bugs can be anywhere. Most importantly, if you feel the slightest unwell tell your TD IMMEDIATELY. They are well versed in getting you back to normal fast so you can enjoy the experience of the tour. Don't waste time on western upset potions because they will not touch the Indian bugs. I was afflicted at Agra. Told the TD at 0800 and doctor there by 0830 with drugs which put a full stop to the symptoms and I was firing on all cylinders again within 12 hours. The TD will give you advice at the outset, just don't think you know any better - they have the experience and most importantly have your best interest at heart. We had a UK doctor on our trip who thought they knew better and paid the price!
    That said, don't eat anything uncooked, peel any fruit and insist on always seeing the seal on the water bottle broken in front of you. Wash your hands frequently and take a small bottle of sanitiser with you at all times then keep hands away from face.
    Above all, this trip is an incredible (and in some places humbling) experience so go for it and enjoy.
  • Options
    We did one of the India trips last year. The hotels were terrific, the food was good, but it is India and you need to be careful! I ended up really sick and the doctor came to the hotel. It ended up being a combo virus/ dehydration. The medical care was excellent, as was the support of Abi our guide. Take probiotics and electrolytes daily - and drink a lot of water!!! I thought I was but it clearly wasn't enough!!! By the way, it was one of our best trips ever!!!! ABI was the best!!!!
  • Options
    ScorpioS wrote:
    We went over a year and one half ago and we did NOT eat any salads. We each took Pro-Biotics after each meal and I added a pepto-bismol pill to my routine. It is an old thing from the 60's when they gave pepto-bismol pills to the Peace Corps volunteers to use in Africa. We never got "Delhi Belly" or "Mummy Tummy"in Eygpt. Everyone around us was getting sick. At the Oberoi Hotel, they have wonderful Italian food. I lived on it and my oat and honey breakfast bars. Breakfasts were great -- all traditional breakfast items.

Sheila

What about milk? Is it safe to drink?
  • Options
    Yes in the hotels. The yoghurt is fantastic, certainly made in house at the Delhi Oberoi. You will not enjoy this trip unless you have faith in the people who you are paying to take care of you.
  • Options
    Well said, British, you are absolutely correct. If you do not trust an excellent company like Tauck you should not even be on their tour. My personal advice is dont think you know better than the professionals who are there to make your trip a joy. Do what they tell you and things will run smoothly.
  • Options
    Richardb and British:
    Sounds like I need to calm down a little bit. Quit worrying!
    Felicia
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    This is the best quote I have read so far.... regarding Tauck and the Oberoi hotels services.... " You will not enjoy this trip unless you have faith in the people who you are paying to take care of you." It's all truth!, and it's why I travel with Tauck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file