Options

Warsaw, Budapest, Vienna and Prague

We are looking forward to our trip beginning 7/30/11 in Warsaw. Interested in hearing from anyone else going then, or others who have gone already with helpful hints. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    My husband and I have taken several Tauck tours and have enjoyed each and every one very much. The Warsaw, Budapest, Vienna and Prague tour is the only one I have felt compelled to write about. We just recently returned from this magnificiant trip and for those of you that are booked for the future......you are in for a treat!! The main reason I felt I needed to post a comment on this tour is because before we left on this journey I thought it might be complicated due the many currencies used and the many border crossings that we would encounter. Rest assured that if any of you are concerned with these issues you are wasting your time. It couldn't have been any easier. You don't even have to stop at each border any longer. As for the currency, the tour director makes that a breeze as well. As we entered each country, she told us an easy way to convert that countrys currency. She was wonderful and made the trip even more spectacular.
    Each place you go on this trip is absolutely beautiful, much to my surprise, and the people are very warm and friendly. Most speak english. The food is very good and the hotels on this journey are some of the best we have had on any other Tauck tour.....first class. You will hate to leave each one but the next will be even more wonderful. I could just go on and on about this trip and my husband feels the same way that I do. We knew very little about this part of the world and had no idea what to expect but several people on past Tauck journeys had recommended it to us so we took the chance. We expected post-communist, dull, drab scenery and boy were we surprised. From the minute we landed in Warsaw, Poland, we knew we were in for a wonderful experience!
    I also wasn't sure if I wanted to go to the concentration camps but I am so glad I decided to go at the last minute. It is horrifying but it is also eye-opening and very interesting. Everyone in our group ended up going and no one regretted it.
    Anyone that is booked for this trip or is considering this trip......by all means, go. You won't be sorry.
    I hope this helps.

• Options
    Toothfairy54: Thank you for your recent post. My husband and I are taking the Warsaw, Budapest, Vienna & Prague trip in July and it's our first Tauck trip so I really appreciated all your comments. I have a few questions which I hope you can answer: How dressy are the evening events; the Chopin recital looks quite dressy. Did the hotels or tour guide direct you to restaurants while on your own? Do you remember the names (correct spelling not necessary) and locations of any you enjoyed? What about currency since only one country is on the euro. Finally, did you read any of the suggested materials? If so, which ones and would you recommend any? Thank you and anything else you can think of, please add. I hope this doesn't take too much of your time. Foxglove56
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Took this amazing trip June 2010. Tauck recommended a jacket for the men. Traveling with a sport jacket, khaki pants, and a collared shirt worked well at any of the more “formal” dining locations. However, people wore a range of clothing, so it is what you are comfortable doing. For women, versatile outfits with a jacket or colorful scarf dressed up an outfit.

The wonderful hotels were in great locations that encouraged you to get out on your own when you had free time. If you arrive in Warsaw before the tour starts feel free to walk through the new Old Town. Also, there are historic sites, especially WWII and Jewish related. You can check them out in a good guide book such as Rick Steve’s Eastern Europe or on line. The hotel will assist you with information also. If you are in good health and fairly good shape (you don’t need to be able to run the marathon), you will enjoy walking.

In Budapest, there is a small little known memorial called "The Shoes" that you will see from your boat on the Danube. It has a different feel seeing it up close. You can see it and read about it on Wikipedia. If you decide to walk there, go along the promenade. Just when you think you will not get there, walk a few more blocks. I made the mistake of turning around and going back to the hotel. Later having consulted the concierge on walking the main streets or taking a bus, I ventured out again. I walked along the main streets but when I got to the area, there was no over pass to the promenade. I ended up running across a highway to get to the promenade side, which I do not recommend.

On the whole the food was good and excellent in the hotels. Relax and look forward to your trip. The Tauck director, and local guides, will give you all the information and assistance you need.
  • Options
    Pepper 87 pretty much summed it up. The tour director does give you a list of recommended restaurnats and local attractions for you to enjoy during your free time. Some of our favorite restaurants were ones that we just popped into on a whim. There are many to choose from that are near all of your hotels. Food is not a problem on this tour.....you will not go hungry!!!!

My husband also took a sports jacket and wore it several times. A couple of the women wore dresses on special occasions, but most didn't. Nice pants will be appropriate for all of the functions. Many of us wore capri pants during the day and some of the men wore shorts. You will just need to have your shoulders covered as you enter some of the churches. Make sure you have comfortable shoes because you will be doing ALOT of walking. Everyone dressed pretty casual most of the time and certainly dressed for comfort.

Our weather in May was a bit cool and I am sure it will heat up as the summer progresses. Take a sweater or jacket anyway because the motorcoach can be a little cool at times.

As far as currency, I went to my local bank before leaving on the trip and ordered a small amount of currency for each country. This really wasn't necessary as ATM's are plentiful and near all of the hotels. I just felt more comfortable having a small amount of money when we entered each country. As you leave one country and enter another, the tour director will guide you to an exchange place so you can exchange your existing currency for the new country's currency. This makes it very easy to get rid of what you don't need anymore.
    On paper, this trip looks complicated, but it absolutely isn't, so just go and enjoy yourself. You will have wonderful memories after you return home.

I think the best advice I can give to any traveler is if you are traveling with a companion, pack half of your clothes in your companion's bag and they do the same with yours. Also pack one change of clothes in a carry-on bag. Then, if one piece of luggage is lost, you will still have half of your clothes. Just make sure you have complete outfits packed together so you don't end up with a hodge podge of colthes that can't be worn together. Another thing I have learned over the years of traveling is PACK LIGHT!!!! It took me years to finally convince myself to do this but I haven't looked back since.

I hope this information helps and if you have anymore questions I will try to answer them because I, like you, had many questions before we departed on this trip.
  • Options
    Just returned from this trip and as with the other six Tauck trips we've taken, this was simply outstanding. My wife and I are already planning another trip just to go back to Vienna to spend a week doing the Opera, Ballet and Concerts.

This area of Europe is just as rich in its arts and culture as anything in the West (they sure know how to do Cathedrals and Palaces!) but the perspective is very different. These are all places that were in the middle of WWII, were Communist (except Austria) until 1989 and were also subjected to the Holocaust. Auschwicz, what can I say...very moving. So glad we got to go there. We even had one in our group who's mom and sister had survived it. And her husband survived the Soviet gulag.

The people everywhere were wonderful. Our guides perhaps the best I've ever had on a Tauck journey.

Our Tour Director, Stephen Fisher, was personable, easy going, and VERY knowledgebale about the region. We were in great hands and as always, Tauck made it look easy.

The only frustration is the same as in any trip...just not enough time to do everything you want! Guess we'll just have to go back!

Some in our group went to the Opera in Vienna and also the Ballet. I think the Opera "season" may be over in the larger theatres, but still something you might want to think about. The concierge at our hotel was very helpful in getting tickets...in primo locations.

Dress: I just took one sport coat but never wore a tie...wore it to dinner several times, usually over a nice polo shirt. This was the approach of most of the men. Ladies wore a range of outfits but casual was just fine for several events that might otherwise have been dressy (evening Mozart concert in Vienna) simply because the old palaces get a bit warm. "Business casual" was generally fine.

Currency: don't sweat this...your TD will give you advice. Plenty of ATMs.

Those of you who are scheduled for this trip...have a wonderful time. We certainly did and so did all the others in our group. BTW, the people we met on this tour, as usual, are just terrific. Gregarious, intelligent, humourous...great to meet and hang out with.

Interesting occurence...Robin Tauck showed up in Budapest and we sat down and had some drinks with her. She noted that this trip is now in Tauck's Top Ten. Not surprised at all!!!

This discussion has been closed.