Options

Altitude; Money; Shopping; Luggage; Tipping

Did anyone have a problem with the altitude? If you were concerned, what medication did you bring along?

I've read that one should bring new and crisp bills. Besides ones, are fives, tens and twentys acceptable? Are you able to exchange $ to the local currency at the hotels?

Also, read somewhere that there is one type of wood that is not allowed through customs; as in bowls, figures, souveniers, etc. Does anyone know anything about that.......which wood is it if info is true?

I have a short time between flights, (Delta to KLM), in Amsterdam. Is getting from one airline to the other a problem as in distance, change of concourses, etc? Has anyone had a problem receiving their luggage when they arrive in Arusha?? Has anyone not checked luggage and just used the duffel as a carry on or checked luggage and used the duffel as a carry on?

Is tipping expected for the safari guides and drivers or is their service included in tour? If tipping, what are tip amounts for each and for how many? Trying to figure out available monies to have on hand.

Sorry the questions are so varied but..................

Thanks to those who are so informative and those who may respone.

Terri

Comments

• Options
    I doubt that I have the definitive answers, but the following observations may help.

You should find guidance on tipping in the material that Tauck sends after you make your final payment. You should expect to tip your tour director, and possibly your bus driver (if one stayed with your group for a large portion of the tour), but no one else. The tour director will handle all other tips.

Many money changers will only accept relatively new bills. You should only need to worry about this for money you plan to exchange for local currency.

I suspect that the advice on taking lots of $1 bills is for purchasing souvenirs, etc. from small businesses (eg, roadside stalls) where most items only cost a dollar or two. Don't expect such venders to make change (at least not in a currency you recognize).

Nick
  • Options
    Hi,
    I'm going on that trip next week. In the documents from Tauck it says we only have to tip the tour director. Everybody else is taken care of by Tauck. The info about the dollars is the same ad what I've read. When are you going? Hope this helps!
  • Options
    24 guests on my departure and no one had problems with altitude. If this is a concern for you, it's best to speak with your personal physician. As for money, do bring new crisp bills in denominations up to and including $20. You will not be using local currency at all. US$ are accepted everywhere you buy souvenirs, drinks, etc. Personally I took $750 in cash, only used my debit card a couple times near the end. I bought way too much beaded, wooden jewelry - but I love it all! As for the wood, I believe it is ebony, but not sure. We experienced no problems at Schipol Airport, there's good signage. KLM had a major computer glitch with their baggage handling system which created a situation for our group, but this was highly irregular. As in all long distance travel, there is always the possibility of your checked baggage taking a side trip without you. Pack a change of clothes, meds in your carry on just in case. If you're traveling as a couple, put some of each person's clothes in each other's suitcase. All tips except for the Tour Director are included in the tour price.
  • Options
    When I took this trip, in addition to tipping our tour director, everyone in my group tipped the guides. Tips for the guides are not paid by Tauck. It is an optional thing, however, and we are not talking about a lot of money - $5.00 for each guide you spend time with, maybe $30.00 total and they really do depend on it. They do not have very much and in addition to being some of the nicest people I have ever met, they make a huge difference in your trip, and, believe me, you will want to tip them. It will be your pleasure.
  • Options
    I am particularly sensitive to altitude, and I took this tour in 2012. Our first night in Arusha (about 4500 ft), I did have to acclimate. We arrived a day early, and I was glad we did. Once acclimated, however, I encountered no other issues except that it was much chillier than I expected. The recommendation to bring clothing layers is one I was glad to have observed.
This discussion has been closed.