Normandy & Paris in 2014

Anyone signed up for the tour beginning June 6, 2014? It's our first trip to France and we're excited about being there for the 70th anniversary of D-Day.

Brad & Jan Perkinson
Franklin, TN

Comments

• My husband and I are signed up for this trip. Also our first trip to France. Look forward to meeting you and the trip.

Charlie and Linda Collier
    Fairfax, VA
  • edited December 2013
    Hello,

My wife and I will also be going on the session that will be at the Beaches at Normandy on the actual anniversary. We will be there a week before you.

My wife and I have been to France before with Tauck. We have been doing a lot of research also and would be glad to answer any questions.

Thank you and looking forward to the trip.

Kevin
  • Hello Charlie and Linda & Hello Kevin,

We are actually arriving a day early but staying in the same hotel. Jan has always wanted to see Paris and I've always wanted to visit Normandy. We look forward to meeting you all.

Brad & Jan Perkinson
    Franklin, TN
  • Brad and Jan (and all),

Hello. We are also arriving a day early to see Versailles more completely. What day are you arriving? We'll be at the hotel the morning of Thursday May 29th for the tour that starts on the 30th and would love to meet any other travelers.

Is anyone else going to visit Versailles before the tour begins? According to the tour "If you wish, you may take an included independent visit to Château de Versailles that can be arranged through the hotel concierge." We were curious if the visit to Versailles is covered also if you arrive a day early so you could potentially see it two days?

Looking forward to the trip and meeting everyone.

Kevin
  • We have a question. Since we are arriving in Paris a day early for the tour, is a transfer from Paris Charles de Gaulle airport still included? If so, what type of transportation is the transfer, i.e. taxi, bus, metro, etc.? Thanks.

Brad & Jan
  • edited January 2014
    Trip departing June 6. We are arriving on June 5 and staying in Versailles at the same hotel. At least, we have plans to do that. I have talked to our travel agent and she is making reservations. Have not asked about a transfer to Versailles yet, but assume we are on our own since we are going early. We do want to spend time visiting Versailles. I have looked online for tickets and information about Versailles. It will easily take all day to see everything I would like to see.
  • Perk wrote:
    We have a question. Since we are arriving in Paris a day early for the tour, is a transfer from Paris Charles de Gaulle airport still included? If so, what type of transportation is the transfer, i.e. taxi, bus, metro, etc.? Thanks.

Brad & Jan
    Hi Brad & Jan,

I just noticed no one had answered your question. As long as you let Tauck know your travel plans (flight & arrival time) well in advance, they will arrange your transfers. As for what type of vehicle, I can't say. That would depend on the number of people on the same flight, I would assume. I always arrive a few days earlier than the tour commencement date and I've been collected by a chauffeur car.

Cheers,

Jan
  • We always go a few days early and have always had someone with a green Tauck sign waiting for us when we come out of customs. Make sure you or your travel agent give Tauck your flight times and information 2 weeks prior to your arrival and you will not have a problem. I have had an occasion where the didn't feel they had the right information and called me a few days ahead to verify. The cars have all been new Mercedes or Bmw that have picked us up except for Africa.
    Gary
  • Thanks Jan, Gary, and Linda. We'll confirm that Tauck knows our flight arrival times for the transfer since we're arriving a day early. We're looking forward to meeting everyone and being a part of the France experience.

Brad & Jan
    Franklin, TN
  • Hi Perk,

Sorry we missed your question earlier! Jan is pretty much exactly right; the only caveat I'd like to mention is that we can only arrange your transfer if you're staying at the same hotel you start the tour at (or, when a trip starts on the cruise ship, the hotel we normally book people in when they arrive early). If you're staying at one hotel and then moving when you start the tour, due to the nature of our contracts with the hotels and transport companies we can't guarantee your transfer.

I hope this helps; feel free ask if you have any questions!

Best,
    Tim

• Tim,

We are staying at the same hotel where we begin the tour. Tauck has been notified of our intent to arrive a day early and has our flight arrival time. Thanks for your reply.

Brad & Jan Perkinson
  • Hello,

We are on the April 18, 2014 Tour and will also arrive a day early. We plan on seeing Versailles when we arrive.

We are also hoping to visit one of the museums in Paris on the morning of April 18 before the start of the tour. Has anyone taken the Metro into Paris from Versailles? Is there enough time to do this?

We are trying to see as much of Paris as possible!

Eric and Maureen
  • Teemster wrote:
    Hello,

We are on the April 18, 2014 Tour and will also arrive a day early. We plan on seeing Versailles when we arrive.

We are also hoping to visit one of the museums in Paris on the morning of April 18 before the start of the tour. Has anyone taken the Metro into Paris from Versailles? Is there enough time to do this?

We are trying to see as much of Paris as possible!

Eric and Maureen

The Paris rail system is very easy to use. You'll need to find an RER line near where you're staying and you'll find that Versailles is around a 25 minute trip from central Paris. I would advise you to have a look at the Versailles website and book your tickets in advance. On the site you'll also find a section that gives directions for the train trip. Versailles is a huge palace and grounds with enough to keep you fully occupied all day but you can pick and choose what you want to see and do. Again the Versaille website is a very usefull tool. Have fun.
  • Thank You for the information about the rail trip to Paris and Versailles.
  • We just heard that President Obama will be attending the 70th Anniversary of the D-Day landing in Normandy. We would also expect the President will attend state dinners in Paris before and/or afterwards. Does anyone know if this could disrupt our June 6 tour?

Brad & Jan Perkinson
  • Hi Perk,

If it does, Tauck will send you a letter shortly beforehand to let you know exactly how. When I went to Italy last year, I received a letter shortly beforehand informing me that there was (apparently) a bicycling contest one of the days I was going to be in Florence. I don't remember exactly how it affected things, but we do take care to make sure that everyone knows in advance exactly what we're doing so things are disrupted as minimally as possible.

-Tim
  • Tim,

Thanks for your reply. I just remember when the President was in Nashville recently and much of the city was closed down while he was here. I understand why the security is necessary, but I don't want his visit to France to cut short our tour.

Brad Perkinson
  • My husband and I are on the May 23 trip and will be flying in a day early, staying at the Versailles hotel for 2 nights. We wonder whether to see a bit of Paris on our first day in France, then visit Versailles on the day the tour actually begins? or do as another on the forum suggested, and travel into Paris on the 23rd? Would luggage present an issue if we stayed in the city when we arrived?
  • We did this trip last fall, also arriving early. Tauck will arrange your pick up. Remember that Tauck will give you a contact number just in case the driver fails to show up. This happened to us, but I forgot about the contact number and we just took a cab. Even without a receipt, Tauck reimbursed us. It happened to a few other couples too.
    We made reservations directly with the Versailles website for the Royal apts. this ticket also gave us entrance to the main palace. Be prepared to walk-it can take at least a half hour from the hotel to the Grand Trianon. We were put in the a hotel by the same name-- beautiful hotel just outside the palace gates. Versailles takes at least a day to see-at a quick pace! Also, if you plan to go up into the Eiffel tower, go to their website and buy your tickets in advance otherwise you may wait several hours just to get the tickets. There is waiting involved just getting to the elevators too.
  • We are arriving a day early on June 5 for the June 6 tour. Our flight arrives at 8:10am. Will we be able to check in at the Trianon Palace Versailles hotel or at least check our bags?

Brad & Jan Perkinson
  • Hello,

We are on the May 2 tour and also arriving early the day before. I sent an email to our travel agent asking if we could get an early check-in. They put in a request, however, not sure if it will be granted until we arrive. I do believe you can leave your luggage at the hotel.
  • Thanks Explorer. We're anxious to hear about your trip.

Brad & Jan Perkinson (Perk)
  • We are also on the June 6 tour arriving a day early on the 5th. We are really looking forward to this 70th anniversary. My husband's father was in the 2nd wave at Omaha Beach and my husband just celebrated his 70th birthday. We are staying 2 extra days in Paris (since I have never been there). Tried to get tickets for the Eiffel Tower today and they are sold out until June 26. At least I can see it from the ground.

Perk, we are from Evansville, IN. Almost neighbors. We will probably see you on the Versailles visit on the 5th.
  • Navigator,

Did you try Viator? They have an evening tour that includes preferred access to the Eiffel Tower, dinner on the second level of the tower and a bateaux mouche cruise afterword.
    We loved it! spectacular evening view at dinner.

John
  • Hello Navigator01. It will be good to meet you June 5 at the hotel. We are both Hoosiers as well, born in Jeffersonville and Madison.

Perk
  • Almost forgot to ask a question. Can anyone tell us how the cell service will be in France? We are both AT&T customers with iPhones and iPads. Thanks.

Perk
  • Now we have iPads, for us we have pretty much eliminated the need for communicating by phone when we travel, especially as we have to take in the 5 hour time difference to the Uk and the 6 hour one from France. Tauck gives free internet access in hotels. You can use skype on the iPad for free with wifi.
  • Does Tauck give us passes to attractions and museums in Paris? If not, can we purchase a pass that is good for everything such as the Eiffel Tower, Louvre, etc.? Thanks.

Perk
  • LindaCollier & Navigator01,

What time will your flights be arriving on the 5th? Our Delta flight from Atlanta arrives at 8:10am. If you would rather not post, you can email me at home at cbperk1@comcast.net.

Perk
  • we are scheduled to arrive at 9:10 via American Airlines. Have already purchased tickets online for Versailles. Our travel agent has arranged for us to be picked up by someone and transferred to Versailles. have not received that information yet. really looking forward to this trip.

Linda & Charlie Collier

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file