Options

Winter Coats in India? Take it or leave it?

Leaving soon for Portrait of India tour, stopping off in Zurich for 1 day on the way over from NYC. Direct through Zurich but no stopover, only connection on the way home. I will be wearing my winter coat to the airport in NYC and will probably need the coat in Zurich. Won't need it again until I return to NYC in February. Will be gone a total of 30 days including travel days.

What do I do with the winter coat during the India pre-tour, during the Tauck tour, and during the post-tour travels? I am planning on taking a lightweight jacket for India since the evenings might be cool in the north, but this will be not warm enough for my travels and Zurich visit.

Any suggestions or insights?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    This is difficult. When I have had this complication in the past I tried not taking a coat and leaving it in the airport location parking lot in the car, then holding my breath and getting on the airport bus in freezing temps and the same when I returned. I survived.
    You could try taking an old coat that you can just dump before you leave Zurich airport, hoping that you don't really care if people think you are a scruff.
  • Options
    When people have had too much retail therapy on our tours and risk paying baggage surcharge on flights home, some have posted items separately in advance. Maybe that would be worth it for your coat.
  • Options
    Well, we've decided that we're going to wear the coats to Zurich and then mail them home from ZRH before continuing onto India. I'll let you know how this works.
  • Options
    Dear Cruzing23,
    I just returned from Portrait of India, several days ago. I took a fiberfill jacket (and gloves) "just in case" of a cool evening. I didn't take it off until we hit the tropical zone around Cochin. I wore it every day. It was quite cool in New Delhi and beyond. Have a great trip.
    lsondy
  • Options
    To follow up on my initial inquiry, we took our jackets to Zurich and then mailed them back home from the Zurich Airport. There is a Swiss post office on the lower level. You can buy the shipping box there and the postal staff will help you complete the customs and shipping forms. No hassle - but it's cash only, no credit cards. Jackets made it home in good condition.

We never needed the jackets in India so we're glad we didn't haul them around for three weeks. There was considerable fog in Delhi so it was damp, but not cold.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this Very Useful Tip! And for Zurich, I thinking you'd need Swiss Francs, too, not Euros. Since Zurich is quite the European airline hub, your tip could have a much wider appeal than you might think!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    The ever resourceful Swiss postal service also has an ATM right outside their store so you can get the CHF for the purchase.

Great airport. Fantastic food services and stores on the lower level. Highly recommended if you have time to kill at ZRH.