Options

concerns about safety as a future solo female traveler to India

Hello.
Although, I'm planning on going to India with Tauck... I'm starting to get a little concern about all these rapes that are posted daily on the news.. happening in India.
I know no place on earth is safe and I know you have to keep eyes open and use common sence, but I would like to know if all this has affected Tauck and what xtra precautions are they taking to protect their female travelers.
My specific scenario is: "IF" no Tauck rep. shows @ the Airport their isn't anyone to ask for help ( police, taxi drivers are all suspects) and also @ the hotels while in the premises , what kind of background check they have on the employees.
Just asking....

Comments

• Options
    I can understand your worries. Of course, you are right to be concerned, as any prudent traveller is. Common sense, awareness of your surroundings … etc., etc. And they are not necessarily platitudes. Of course we worry.

I'm sure someone from Tauck will be along to address your query, but in the meantime, I thought some mutual concern and reassurance might be in order. Tauck are very professional in everything they do. I'm sure they are very aware of the situation in some parts of India currently. Perhaps some recent travellers can comment? As a single traveller myself, I can understand that there are times that would see you alone, so to speak, but in real terms, I wonder just how often you would actually be alone. I'm sure Tauck have plans B, C, D …..Z. Do carry on with your plans and research in the meantime. It sounds like it will be a stunning experience.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    I was on this wonderful tour two years ago. Don't worry when you arrive in Delhi, there will be a driver with identification picking you up. We arrived at 3:00 a.m. Tauck will give you a phone number to call in case of any problem at the airport. You will be staying at mostly Oberoi hotels which are top hotels in the World. Our Tour Director gave us a card with his phone number in case of any problem. The only time we were on our own was to go shopping in Delhi and four of us took a cab to the stores we were told were recommended. Just don't go for a walk by yourself and you will have no problems.

Sheila
  • Options
    Thank you both .
    I have traveled with Tauck and know how professional they are.. that's why I'm still planing on doing this trip but you know it doesn't hurt to ask :) and no doubt I definitely would not walk around town on my own,which is a bummer ! because I normally do; it's nice way to interat with the locals....
    But again thank you so much.
  • Options
    I'm planning to bring MACE with me
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Just a thought, Shelley, but you might want to check to see whether it's legal to import/carry mace in India before you go.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    We are about to go on the India trip, I am more anxious about avoiding pick pockets than being raped, at age 60 I hope I would not be any mans first choice of attack.
    Listen to the Tour Guide's instructions and follow them to the letter. But of course people do not, when we were on an Africa tour the guide said when we get to the border, don't open the windows, but yes they did and handbags were almost ripped from our laps.
    In India do not give anything to people begging because you will be immediately surrounded by people also begging I am reliably told! let's see if anyone on our tour heeds the warnings.
    Jan has made a very valuable point about mace, is it even legal in the US?
  • Options
    Hi British,
    enjoy your trip. It is a wonderful experience. The Tour Director picks several people who are selling dollar items and brings their wares on the coach to sell for them. This way, he makes them happy and they are not "in your face". They all look forward to the Tauck coaches stopping. As you said, do NOT give money to beggars or you will be surroumded.

Sheila
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip Sheila! Do you mean we should have dollars to pay for things?
    I've been looking on the forums for India specific tips for several weeks and they are finally appearing. Now I am getting hooked and posting all manner of messages, using knowledge from my other tours. Perhaps it is as we'll I don't do Facebook, best wishes, British
  • Options
    We did the India tour 18 months ago and had a wonderful time. You are quite correct that the one thing you need to understand is that once you get outside you lose your personal space. Absolutely nothing to worry about because Tauck understand the situation.....of course. There are lots of people selling trinkets but just avoid eye contact and ignore them. Our Director was well known on the circuit and once back on the coach he would select trinkets according to his experience and ask if anyone was interested. There are some delightful things, but do be guided by the Director.
    As for pick pockets, I just carried essentials around with me and left the rest in hotel safes.
    This tour is a wonderful experience even if rather humbling in parts, but at the end you will be so pleased you did it.
    Enjoy
    Richard
  • Options
    Is anyone going on the February 7 tour?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Hello.
    Although, I'm planning on going to India with Tauck... I'm starting to get a little concern about all these rapes that are posted daily on the news.. happening in India.
    I know no place on earth is safe and I know you have to keep eyes open and use common sence, but I would like to know if all this has affected Tauck and what xtra precautions are they taking to protect their female travelers.
    My specific scenario is: "IF" no Tauck rep. shows @ the Airport their isn't anyone to ask for help ( police, taxi drivers are all suspects) and also @ the hotels while in the premises , what kind of background check they have on the employees.
    Just asking....

Dear Milena,

I'm sending your post to some folks in our office who are better suited than I to answer your questions, and I hope they're able to allay your concerns. I'll also repost their response here once I receive it. This much I can definitely say, we take your thoughts and feelings very seriously, and the safety of everyone who travels with us is of paramount importance.

Everyone else, thank you for joining the conversation. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us.

-Tim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file