Options

Sounds of Silence Restaurant

Has anyone eaten at, or planning to eat at, Sounds of Silence Restaurant in Yulara ( Ayers Rock)? It gets wonderful reviews, but is very expensive. Is it better to plan to eat at the hotel, or is dinner even necessary after the cocktail reception?

Comments

• Options
    The cocktail reception is out by Uluru, then you go back to the hotel. How are you going to get to the Sounds of Silence? Is it anywhere near Seven Sails? I don't remember seeing anywhere else nearby, you are in the middle of the Outback, been up very early, then on two flights, then you are going to be up early the next day for your early walk round Uluru, you will probably be barely awake to make the Seven Sails to eat. By the way, the reception and canapés is just that, you will need something to eat afterwards
  • Options
    We attended the Sounds of Silence dinner a couple of years ago and it was spectacular. The haunting music, excellent food, and blissful silence in complete darkness while having an astronomer show us the various stars and constellations was very moving. The only negative was those darn little black flies that are everywhere, so be sure to have the net that fits over your hat (I did enjoy my champagne even if I had to slip it under my net). Go for it! I think you'll regret it if you don't.
  • Options
    The night of the Cocktails that the rock I did not have an feel like eating and went swimming in the pool instead. I was pretty full with the food at the rock.
  • Options
    Thank You, Lorraine. How far is it from Ayers Rock and how did you get there? Taxi?
  • Options
    susangu wrote:
    Thank You, Lorraine. How far is it from Ayers Rock and how did you get there? Taxi?

I think we were taken by bus from the resort. We certainly didn't take a taxi on our own. I did book the dinner prior to leaving on our trip as I didn't want to take the chance of them not being able to accomodate us. It is unique - being outdoors in the desert with linen table cloths, elegance, having crocodile appies, lovely dinner, champagne. Having the astronomer show us the southern cross and other constellations that we don't see in this hemisphere was another treat - and wait until you hear that didgeridoo - so haunting that it will give you goosebumps. Someone has mentioned early flights, late arrivals, etc. - yes, that is what happens in Australia because it is so large and there is so much to see. But you can rest once you get back home! Another fun memory that we have is taking an early morning camel ride in desert, then having an outback breakfast - so much fun. One regret that we do have is that we didn't purchase aboriginal art while in the desert - we kept thinking that "the next place" would have something that we liked even better, then it was too late.

It is a wonderful country. I hope that you have a spectacular time. Just don't forget your bug hat.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    We truly value the purchase, a year ago, of our beautiful aboriginal art from "Janet" who was one of three individuals sitting on the ground just a short distance from the location of the champagne/canape event. Our $20.00 purchase truly helped this woman and her family and was at 10% of what a similar painting was priced in the Alice Springs galleries.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file