Food on this tour

Any feedback on the food offered on this tour ? I noticed there were a lot of lunches and less dinners. Is Tauck cheating out ? Would love to hear from anyone who has been. Thanks

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Hi kcfromkc.

This is what it says on the page for your itinerary:
    20 meals (10 breakfasts, 4 lunches & 6 dinners), service charges, gratuities to local guides, admission fees, taxes & porterage - See more at: http://www.tauck.com.au/tours/europe-tours/italy-tours/italy-vacation-im-2014.aspx#sthash.d8OnQc10.dpuf
    Are you referring to a different trip, perhaps?

Cheers,

Jan
  • Not done this exact tour but past tours, especially in Italy, we found that the general feedback was that some people requested the opportunity to be able to chose where to eat, so Tauck did not include all the dinners to satisfy I guess something that people have wanted quite often. Personally, we have found almost all meals great on Tours. If a particular restaurant consistently gets bad feedback then Tauck will find an alternative for the next season, or immediately. One of the reasons we like Tauck is that you almost pay for everything up front, no hidden expenses, no optional or undosclosed add-ons.
  • Get Rick Steves travel book. I used it on the Classic Italy tour and ate at some really good places and gives you and idea of the price. In Italy you will be glad to not be carted around to eat. Usually supper not included is when you have free time so you can eat where ever you end up. Most of the time supper is included on arrival and you eat at hotel or if there is not much in the area or it is to give an experience.

Don't worry not too expensive unless you eat all courses. We only did one course and found it reasonable. Eating all courses would be way to filling. Not sure how Italians do it, but they said they do. I am planning this trip in a few years with add on at the beginning to take train thru Umbria from Rome and extra days in Venice. I Venice I recommend getting lost outside of the tourist area. It was great. I took a walk in morning before the crowds in the tourist area and spent the afternoon outside tourist area getting lost going from hotel to find my way to the famous bridge. Was shocking to get backing crowds around the bridge with the shops all around there.

Over the years I have noticed a cut back on some included lunch and dinners to keep the price down. On Tauck trips one of the complaints you always heard was too much food. Just look at as when not included you get to chose where to eat and how much, because when you pay for it you will not try all.
  • Thanks so much for all the info....does anyone remember are dinners at the hotels ? restaurants ?
  • kcfromkc wrote:
    Thanks so much for all the info....does anyone remember are dinners at the hotels ? restaurants ?

We took this tour about 4 years ago and it was wonderful. Looking back I recall eating dinner at the hotel in every city. The other nights were either on your own -- or in the case of Bologna -- a restaurant down the street. Enjoy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file