Options

Inoculations etc for this tour

I was wondering what others have done regarding inoculations for the SA tour? Is a yellow fever vaccine necessary? What about medication for malaria? I will talk with my physician, but am curious as to what others have done? We are going on this trip in March 2012. Thank-you, Lynn

Comments

• Options
    TL19711 wrote:
    I was wondering what others have done regarding inoculations for the SA tour? Is a yellow fever vaccine necessary? What about medication for malaria? I will talk with my physician, but am curious as to what others have done? We are going on this trip in March 2012. Thank-you, Lynn
    We did this trip in 2008. Great Trip!

Your doctor will probably refer you to an infectious diseases clinic. Bring your itinerary to the clinic. The doctor at the clinic recommended Yellow Fever and Hepatitis A shots.
  • Options
    We went on this tour March 2011 and did not get the yellow fever vaccine. Most others on the trip did not either. We did not see any bugs and did not feel in any danger of contracting any diseases. I would say that if you are traveling directly from the US and then directly back you would not need the vaccine. If you are planning to do any other travel in Yellow Fever areas in the future then you may want to go ahead and get it. You can check the CDC website for other areas that do require the vaccine.
  • Options
    Just had a consult with a travel nurse today. She recommended Yellow Fever vaccine due to the Iguazu Falls portion of the trip. If you haven't gotten Hep A already, that is also recommended. I was due for Typhoid again so will get that as well
  • Options
    We went on the trip in December and did not get yellow fever vaccinations. There was no problem at Iguazu Falls and we weren't anywhere where we were deep in an environment where there was a threat of yellow fever. I would say it was half and half--some of the group did get the shots, but our tour director seemed to indicate that we were not going anywhere in a danger area.
  • Options
    It is the bugs that you don't see that will get you! Talk to a medical professional.
  • Options
    What date in March is your trip leaving?
  • Options
    To Kentucky 2008---we're on the March 18th tour. Enjoy your trip earlier in the month!
This discussion has been closed.