Options

Essence of Japan in May and questions

This is our first time traveling with Tauck and we are looking to connect with others who might be on the trip. We are arriving a day before the trip is to start in Osaka.
We are also wondering if anyone who has ever taken this trip before can offer some advice on how to dress when touring or other things we might benefit from knowing ahead of the trip.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2014
    We have travelled with Tauck many times and enjoy every trip. Everything runs like clockwork and if it doesn't you'll never know because the tour directors are so professional and ahead of the game and have so many contacts.
    We have not taken this trip, but my husband has travelled to Osaka about 40 times over the years and I have been twice, though not for about 17 years myself. I would o love to go back but is of course not on my husband's top of list.
    First, you will have jet lag, whether you fly first class or coach, so don't expect to find you have the strength to run around and do too much before the tour starts, Tauck tours are always full of wonderful things to see and do, which is why we like them.
    Clothing, wear the same kinds of things as you would in the US, it could be quite warm by May, but not always.
    Japan is so very different, I just loved it, the chaos of the cities and the peacefulness of the castles, shrines and old parts of the cities. It is a very safe country, very reassuring. My husband was in Osaka during the big earthquake, I think it was 1995 and I have been there when there was one. I was awoken by one high up in a hotel room, but the buildings are very well designed to withstand them. Try all the types of everyday Japanese foods, they are delicious, though hard to know what they may taste like by the look of them.
    You will be seeing the castle and the shopping district of Dotonbori on the tour. I particularly remember visiting a Hagen Daz ice cream parlor where you could sit on the lap of a 'young lady merry go round' and it looked as if she was licking your ice cream cone. And then when you go to the bathroom, the men's urinals sway from side to side and the ladies one lets out a sigh as you sit down, very funny! Now if it is till there, who knows.
    If you feel up to it, a visit to the fantastic aquarium in Kaiyukan, a short train ride away, the most amazing one i have ever been to, with a huge whale shark too.
    Shopping not usually my top priority on Tauck trips but the quality of souvenirs in Japan is fantastic, Kokeshi dolls being my favorite, lovely ceramics, silk handkerchiefs, paintings, kimonos, I could go on and on, my home has a definite Japanese touch to it. I even had a Japanese garden and koi pond when we lived in England, the gardens too are spectacular and peaceful. Have a lovely time and post your review when you return
  • Options
    We are going to take the same tour on September 4, 2015. We would greatly appreciate it if you can give us some reviews and tips from this tour.
  • Options
    Thanks British...this was very interesting and helpful. We are looking forward to the trip!
  • Options
    I am currently a Tauck guest on Essence of Japan trip + have been quite comfortable wearing synthetic knit tops + slacks that can be rinsed out in the evening + dry by the next morning. Most everything is casual w/ exception of 1st night dinner + geisha night. Most people dressed in their daywear those nights, but if you are someone who enjoys dressing up, those are 2 opportunities to do so on this trip.

Bring layers for cool mornings + nights. A hat to shield the sun is also helpful. Comfortable shoes are essential.

Enjoy your trip!
  • Options
    Hi Kbarber,

Here's the packing advice found on the trip itinerary page:
    Your journey is designed with leisure in mind. Dress for comfort and convenience with a wardrobe that is adaptable and allows for layering. Generally, during the day, casual, comfortable, cotton clothing is recommended. Cool weather at higher elevations or at night will require warmer, layered clothing. We recommend that you pack lightly for your trip to Japan, as there is very little room for luggage aboard the trains and you will pack an overnight bag for your stay at the Kagaya Hotel on Day 7 and at the Hyatt Regency Hakone Resort & Spa on Day 10. The balance of your luggage will be transported by luggage truck and there will be no access to the remainder of your luggage for those two nights. A small bag with wheels that you can comfortably manage on your own without assistance is strongly suggested.

We recommend that you dress smartly. Jeans and capri pants are suitable for casual dining and sightseeing. However, shorts are rarely seen outside of hiking or sport venues, unless they are longer-length Bermuda shorts. Most women wear cropped length pants and they do not, as a rule, wear t-shirts. Most wear a conservative top that may be sleeveless but is not low-cut, and many Japanese women wear heels even with casual clothes.

Shoes that are easily removed are essential, as it is customary to remove shoes when entering temples, shrines, private homes and certain restaurants. Clean socks and hosiery are also required to avoid unnecessary embarrassment.

Japan’s top French restaurants usually require jackets and ties. The older generation considers it inappropriate for women to wear dresses without hose or tops without sleeves.

Bring packets of pocket-sized tissue and handkerchiefs, as tissue and paper towels are often not found in lavatories.

We recommend that you pack an adequate supply of your prescription medication in its original container to last through your entire journey, together with a copy of your doctor’s prescription or a letter from your health-care provider on office stationery explaining that the medication has been prescribed for you, a list of the generic names of your medication, your travel documents and a change of clothing in your carry-on bag to avoid any inconvenience in the event that your flight or luggage is delayed.

Following is a list of recommended items to pack for your journey to Japan:

•Cotton, cotton/synthetic and linen clothing
    •Light weight shirts, pants, capri pants and dresses
    •Light jacket or sweater
    •Jacket and tie and casually-elegant attire for fine dining
    •Comfortable walking shoes
    •Shoes that are easy to slip on and off when visiting places of worship
    •Hat (a wide brimmed hat is recommended)
    •Collapsible umbrella
    •Swimwear
    •Gym wear
    •Sunscreen
    •Sunglasses
    •Camera, lenses, batteries, memory cards and/or plenty of film
    •Soap leaves, travel packets of tissues, handkerchiefs and hand sanitizer (toilet tissue and paper towels are not available in many lavatories)
    •Binoculars
    •Travel alarm clock
    •Copies of your travel documents that should be secured in the safe in your hotel room while traveling

British and metry, thank you for the help and feedback! :)

-Tim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file