Cabin selection

We are planning our first Tauck River (Rhine and Moselle) cruise in July 2015. Is there any conventional wisdom on cabin selection. We will probably splurge and chose category 7. There are several suites available. Is morning sun or afternoon sun preferable, fore or aft, and the like?

Comments

• Here's my thoughts. There are really no bad rooms (though the bottom deck has a limited view). I would go for the middle of the boat or slightly forward. The closer to the front, the more people will be walking by your room to get to theirs (although you would be closer to the restaurant and bar). The closer to the back, the more engine noise (although not a major problem on the riverboats). We were happy with the middle deck, but if you want more room and are willing to pay for it, great. We really didn't spend too much time in our cabin, since the best sightseeing is from the bar or sun deck (you can see both sides of the river at once). Most days are spent sightseeing off the boat. We were on the starboard side (afternoon sun most days). I wouldn't say that there is a strong advantage to either side. Hope this helps.
  • Just to add to what Ken said - in 2011 we were in cabin 209 which is on the middle deck on the port side and for our next cruise in August we will be in 206 same deck on the starboard side. I think the time you actually spend in your cabin, other than sleeping, is really quite minimal so I don't think you'll have any problems with whichever cabin/deck you choose. Have a great Tauck holiday.
  • Just came back from the cruise. We went from Basel to Amsterdam. Our room was terrific, we were in 323. That side of the boat was better because we always had a view of the river. The other side was the side the boat docked on.
  • OzJohnno wrote:
    Just to add to what Ken said - in 2011 we were in cabin 209 which is on the middle deck on the port side and for our next cruise in August we will be in 206 same deck on the starboard side. I think the time you actually spend in your cabin, other than sleeping, is really quite minimal so I don't think you'll have any problems with whichever cabin/deck you choose. Have a great Tauck holiday.

I see that they number their cabins just the opposite of the US Navy Ship compartment numbering convention which is odd to starboard (right side) and even to port (left side). How will an old salt like me find my cabin? :)
  • AlanS wrote:
    I see that they number their cabins just the opposite of the US Navy Ship compartment numbering convention which is odd to starboard (right side) and even to port (left side). How will an old salt like me find my cabin? :)

I guess the same way this old Air Force guy did. I just followed my wife.
  • OzJohnno wrote:
    I guess the same way this old Air Force guy did. I just followed my wife.
    And very sensible of you, too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file