Options

Use of forums for Tauck Tim and others

Hi All,

A few months ago I started this thread as a request for a better use of the forum page. Although many travelers have commented on my original message and many have added their suggestions for improving the site to mine, I do not notice any changes.

I enjoy sharing experiences with travelers who have taken trips I have taken,and learning from those who have taken trips on my bucket list. I also enjoy being able to make suggestions to those who are contemplating trips that we have done. I think the forums are a great way to connect and I have made several "cyber friends" on this site.

I would like to see the establishement of a separate list for those travelers who want to connect with travelers who will be taking the same trip at the same time....maybe be starting a page that would be sorted by the date of travel. I think Alan S. suggested a way to do this in some post earlier on this thread.

How about it Tim, can we get it done?

Sherry (Shescha)

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Sherry, I think the last word from Tim was that Tauck is redoing the entire website, not just the forums.

A number of us provided suggestions and also offered to work with them offline, but I suspect the way this will work is that first Tauck will have a working group examine what they have now then come up with a list of features and functionality they want for their new site. I'm sure they will also consider user comments. They will validate that list at the working group level with others in the company before presenting it to management. Once the architecture is finalized, then they will put it out for bids. It is a lot more complex than just updating the forum (bulletin board) software since the site has many other fully integrated open and secure functions- tour info, tour availability, user data, payment functions, etc. Most companies like Tauck do not have a large enough IT staff with the right qualifications to undertake such a massive project. Even after the new site is done being built, it will likely take weeks or longer to test and work out the kinks, before they migrate all the data and make in live.

I think Tauck has seen the writing on the wall- compare the number of posts in the archives from years past with the number of posts in just the last 6 months and you will see what I mean. If Tauck is going to do it at all, I fully expect they will do it right!
  • Options
    Hi Sherry,

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoy using the forums! :) And thank you for the suggestions, they're all good ones.

And can we get it done? Of course! But all projects take time, both to build them and to test them, to make sure they're working when they're open to the public. AlanS' description of our process is pretty much exactly right. While our IT team is very skilled, we are not large enough to take on a project of that magnitude entirely on our own -- and our first priority has to be that the process of operating our trips goes smoothly, after all. Updating the forum/bulletin board software and the rest of our site is absolutely possible, and is definitely on our list of priorities. We're making progress towards it, but we're not there yet -- and our first priority is always making sure that you and your fellow travelers have a good experience while traveling with us.

Thanks for the patience and understanding, everybody!

-Tim