Options

Tauck Website Issues - 12 Oct 2014

So today the "Where Would You Like to Go?" tab only offers Canada. Likewise the "What Would You Like to Do?" tab is constrained to Canadian trips.

You can still use Destinations to find other-than-Canada trips, but I was trying to search for railroad trips which can only be filtered using the "What Would You Like to Do?" option.

Hopefully this is just a short-term side effect of some web maintenance today.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2014
    All better now.

Lesson learned: don't explore on a Sunday morning and no choice for rail trips...must have been Smithsonian I was thinking of.
  • Options
    Hi Portolan,

Sorry about that! Yes, periodically we do run updates and do routine maintenance during times with less viewership, and it seems like inevitably someone (like you) runs into it.

I'm glad it's working now.

-Tim
  • Options
    TauckTim wrote:
    Hi Portolan,

Sorry about that! Yes, periodically we do run updates and do routine maintenance during times with less viewership, and it seems like inevitably someone (like you) runs into it.

I'm glad it's working now.

-Tim

Tim- any word on the update/revision/replacement of the website (or at least forums)?

Thanks.

Alan
  • Options
    Hi Alan,

It's going to be a while, and I'm afraid I don't have a definite time frame. We're going to be doing some behind-the-scenes updates soon, and if it's possible, we'd like to update the forums during those. However, it may also not be possible for us to do it then. It's definitely on our to-do list, and we have a lot of other projects also going on designed to bring more features to you guys. Worst case scenario, it'll be sometime early next year before the forums get done. Thank you for being so patient!

-Tim
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Alan,

Be careful what you wish for. I have participated in the forums since shortly after our fantastic Classic Italy trip in 2004. Each time the forum has been changed all the old posts with their wonderful and useful information have gone away and can't be retrieved.
  • Options
    Hopefully, they will do a better job this time migrating the info.
  • Options
    Yes was frustrating when we lost it all
  • Options
    This may not be just a simple task. In a “previous life”, I had to do this type of transition a few times. Generally companies use web site management software developed by third parties, and many times the data format used in areas such as forums are proprietary. I don’t know if this is the case with Tauck, but often change is difficult!
  • Options
    crackers54 wrote:
    Yes was frustrating when we lost it all
    Urgh. Tell me about it!
  • Options
    rabo wrote:
    This may not be just a simple task. In a “previous life”, I had to do this type of transition a few times. Generally companies use web site management software developed by third parties, and many times the data format used in areas such as forums are proprietary. I don’t know if this is the case with Tauck, but often change is difficult!
    I so know what you are saying! And of course they always told us that computers were here to help us. Hmmm. Moving right along…..