Options

Australia/NewZealand January 22nd.

Whose going on this trip?? January 22, 2015

Comments

• Options
    We already have a thread for our trip,however it is just the two of us who have responded.
  • Options
    I figured I would get it going again to see if we had anymore people.
  • Options
    Great idea! Tauck shows that it is sold out. Maybe the rest don't have computers!!
    Just purchased tickets for two of our free nights in Sydney for the Sydney Opera House. Seeing Tosca one night, and the movie The Godfather, shown as the Sydney Symphony Orchestra plays the music live, the other night.
  • Options
    How did you go about getting tickets??? The Godfather sounds like fun.
  • Options
    I have been following the Sydney Opera House website to see what events will be playing during our stay.

http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/homepage.aspx

The dates for the Godfather are Jan. 29 and 30. Checked with Tauck and for both dates there are no evening events planned. We are going on the 30TH. Less touring that day.

You can purchase tickets on line through their website or by calling the box office directly. I called, 14 hrs ahead from the East coast, (used Skype) and they were extremely helpful in advising what seats would be best for viewing. Will pick up our tickets when we are in Sydney.

Should be a fun evening. "Leave the gun, and take the cannolis!"
  • Options
    Just booked fairy penguin tour for jan. 21st, day before our tour begins. Starting to really think about trip!!!
  • Options
    Don't forget the sunscreen! :) You'll be in for some hot weather …

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Jan, sunscreen is on the top of my list. I will probably have to buy some extra while I am there. Will have some questions for you soon. Sallie
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Tauck recently changed two of the hotels on our tour that where listed in the brochure. Now staying at the Reef House instead of the Kewarra Beach Resort, and the Sofitel instead of the Crown Plaza Queenstown. Also flight on Day 3 from Melbourne to Alice Springs for a quick stop, and then a second flight to Uluru, will be non stop to Uluru. Told that all flights in Australia will be charters like in NZ
  • Options
    Salmcg wrote:
    Jan, sunscreen is on the top of my list. I will probably have to buy some extra while I am there. Will have some questions for you soon. Sallie

You can buy sunscreen here …. just sayin'. ;))

Happy to help if I can.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    rogfam wrote:
    Tauck recently changed two of the hotels on our tour that where listed in the brochure. Now staying at the Reef House instead of the Kewarra Beach Resort, and the Sofitel instead of the Crown Plaza Queenstown. Also flight on Day 3 from Melbourne to Alice Springs for a quick stop, and then a second flight to Uluru, will be non stop to Uluru. Told that all flights in Australia will be charters like in NZ

I was glad we saw Alice Springs on our tour even if it was only to say we had been to such a famous place. We enjoyed the stop at the art studio for lunch, art lovely, food nothing special. It was nice to see the typical scenery and vegetation. TAUCK must have its reasons. Our Australia tour got changed before we went too,giving us an entirely free day instead of two half mornings and then two free afternoons, they only told us when the tour began, we had made plans to visit relatives and add on days there, so we ended with three days to do other things while others carried on to New Zealand. At that time everyone was keen to walk the Sydney bridge because Oprah had just done it so I think that is why it changed to accommodate customer requests. The bridge walk takes a hunk of time, it's expensive and weather dependant. It was cool and windy and we thought we had seen the same views from the harbor cruise so we opted to see a show at. The Opera house and it was wonderful, acoustics wow!
    The Kewarra resort was a good hour's drive away from the place we got the boat to the reef. I think the new place will be a better location.
    The change to Sofitel---past comments about the Crown Plaza have not been good. The change will affect our upcoming tour to NZ, we got a change letter about that.Then I noticed that the Langham was changed to Sofitel at the end, so I called TAUCK and they said the first two tours of the year are still at the Langham . They have since ammended the website to correct confusion.
  • Options
    British wrote:
    I was glad we saw Alice Springs on our tour even if it was only to say we had been to such a famous place. We enjoyed the stop at the art studio for lunch, art lovely, food nothing special. It was nice to see the typical scenery and vegetation. TAUCK must have its reasons. Our Australia tour got changed before we went too,giving us an entirely free day instead of two half mornings and then two free afternoons, they only told us when the tour began, we had made plans to visit relatives and add on days there, so we ended with three days to do other things while others carried on to New Zealand. At that time everyone was keen to walk the Sydney bridge because Oprah had just done it so I think that is why it changed to accommodate customer requests. The bridge walk takes a hunk of time, it's expensive and weather dependant. It was cool and windy and we thought we had seen the same views from the harbor cruise so we opted to see a show at. The Opera house and it was wonderful, acoustics wow!
    The Kewarra resort was a good hour's drive away from the place we got the boat to the reef. I think the new place will be a better location.
    The change to Sofitel---past comments about the Crown Plaza have not been good. The change will affect our upcoming tour to NZ, we got a change letter about that.Then I noticed that the Langham was changed to Sofitel at the end, so I called TAUCK and they said the first two tours of the year are still at the Langham . They have since ammended the website to correct confusion.

Thanks for your thoughts. Seems that Tauck only has two groups in 2015 staying at the Reef House, rest are at the Silky Oaks Lodge. It is in a rainforest not near the beach.
  • Options
    My wife and I are going on the January 22nd trip. I've been looking at Tosca for the 29th. Plenty of seats available. Any suggestions on a section to book?

Noel
  • Options
    nadler wrote:
    My wife and I are going on the January 22nd trip. I've been looking at Tosca for the 29th. Plenty of seats available. Any suggestions on a section to book?

Noel

We have tickets to the Jan 29 performance. I wasn't sure from the seating chart which seats were the best, so I called the box office and they were very helpful. Told me what seats would have limited views, which seats won't allow seeing the translations projected above the stage, etc. Ended with Stall (what we here in US call orchestra seating) B Reserve/Stalls K41,42.
    Good Luck
    Glenn
  • Options
    Just bought tickets for the opera house on January 29th to see the Godfather with the symphony playing in the background. This is going to be fun!!!
  • Options
    The trip is now getting rea!!! We made the final payment yesterday. Starting to thinking about what I have to take with me. All suggestions will be accepted.????
  • Options
    Salmcg wrote:
    Just bought tickets for the opera house on January 29th to see the Godfather with the symphony playing in the background. This is going to be fun!!!

Thanks for the info on purchasing tickets to this performance. For others interested in going, Friday has limited seating and Thursday has only a few good seats left. So if you are interested in going, you better move on it soon. The interactive on line purchase was easy.
  • Options
    My husband Dennis and I are on this trip and are just booking Tosca today. Thanks for the tips!
    We are from Raleigh, NC, and are really looking forward to this adventure! Maryanne
  • Options
    Hi Salmcg~ We are looking at tours for the fairy penguins on Phillips Island. Which company did you book, or are you hiring a driver? Thanks for any help~ Maryanne
  • Options
    We booked our trip with greyline and did it online. We are going on the penguin express on the 21st. We get picked up at the hotel at 3:20. Sounds like a lot of fun.
  • Options
    Thanks - we were looking at the Little Penguin Bus, which i think leaves a bit later. I think it is a 2 hour drive to get there, and figure sunset is about 8 pm.
  • Options
    Around 22nd January, sunset in Melbourne will be at 8:41 .... Phillip Island is a little SSE of Melbourne.

Cheers,

Jan

PS Amazing the things you can check on the web! :))

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file