Options

Researching the Treasures of Aegean Tour. Need your input on flight arrangements

Hi, beginning research for a 2016 Treasures of the Aegean tour and looking for some suggestions on best airlines and connection airports I should consider. Will be flying from East Coast-USA. From what I have found so far Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines are the two major flight providers into Athens and Istanbul Have never flown on either airlines. Also trying to research best connection airport to consider. Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Jeff - I am taking this trip September 2015 and my travel agent is working on air reservations right now. So far, it looks like Delta, non-stop, from JFK to Athens and on the return Turkish Airlines back to New York with 1 stop in Paris.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I have flown both of those airlines. They are great!! I would suggest Business or First class tickets, but that is a budget item. We took this trip in 2011 and flew into Istanbul. We flew Turkish airlines, first class. Comfortable, superb service, great food (chef on board), and nice lay flat seats. I flew Turkish airlines from Venice to Kilimanjaro, through Istanbul, first class this past July. We flew Lufthansa in 2003, first class to Frankfurt, and in 2013, first class to Heathrow. They were great also. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I like them better than any US airlines I have flown on. Now, I did use miles for those trips.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info. Explorer have a question for you. I'm new at collecting miles to secure award tickets and planning to use miles to secure award tickets at a minimum Business Class for trip to Istanbul. Wanted to ask which airline miles did you use your miles to secure tickets. I know with Airline Alliances and what I have read, you can book award tickets through a airline other that the actual one you will be flying on i.e. Book flights on Turkish airlines with United Airline Miles etc.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Options
    Jeff, getting the miles necessary to fly your route is relatively easier than getting to actually use the miles. First, do a lot of searching for a credit card that offers massive miles - 50k-100k - just for signing up. Lot of obsessive young guys with blogs out there explaining how to do this. Looks like United is your best bet since both Turkish Air and Lufthansa are members of Star Alliance. Along with sign-up bonus, look at how the card gives out bonus points - 2x for airline tickets, 1.5x for gas, 1.25x for groceries, etc.
    The other card choice is SPG's Amex card, which I use extensively. It gives you great access to hotels worldwide - we're spending 5 days in a Westin in Madrid for 48k points - or the ability to transfer points to several airlines like Delta.
    Once the card decision is made, call the airlines you want to fly and ask when they post their schedules for your cities. Most only do one year out. On the posting dates start searching for both paid and award flights. Sometimes it is cheaper to use $ than miles - the Madrid trip cost $2200 for a business class ticket from Boston or 50k miles r/t each.
    When to get a ticket is becoming a war of computers used by the airlines and the flight bloggers. My opinion is that if using miles, the earlier the better since the airlines are shrinking the number of award seats. Some airline customer service agents are helpful (keep calling until you find one) and can tell you the award inventory is and what their experience is as to when award seats open up for different airlines. For instance, we put an AA business class seat on hold for our last Tauck trip, and was able to get a BA first class seat for the same mileage a few weeks later.
    It's complicated - which is why I rely on the youngsters who blog about this for a living
  • Options
    Very interesting! I'm not sure if the tips would apply so well for carriers leaving Australia for the rest of the world, but I guess the general principles would apply. Do you have any tips for those useful blogs?

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    As far as mile awards go, you can collect them with the airlines themselves and/or use credit cards to collect them. Actually, some times you can double dip if you use the credit card to buy the tickets and use your frequent flier number on the ticket. For our earlier trips we used our United Miles that we received from flights and the United credit card we had. I flew a bit, but my wife was a Road Warrior...or would that be Air Warrior...and collected over 100k a year. Between us, we had a boatload of miles and used them for all of our flights to Europe.

After my wife died, I still had hundreds of thousands of miles and used them for most of my trips. I now have a non-specific credit card that awards generic miles and use it for EVERYTHING I buy. I pay it monthly and build up miles quickly to just about any airline. I think I had to pay for a portion of my next flight to Buenos Aires. I am going to live in London in June and July of next year and when I crunched the numbers it was cheaper to pay for a portion of the BA flight and use miles for 100% of the London flight.

As far as airlines to the Aegean trip, we flew to Istanbul using Star Alliance partners. If I remember correctly, we flew from Chicago directly to Istanbul on Turkish Airlines. They do a nice job. Once that cruise was over we bought tickets from Athens to Catania, Sicily because they were so cheap. We had rented a villa in Sicily for a couple of weeks added an adventure of our own to the Tauck cruise. From Catania we flew to Rome (paid) and then used miles from Rome to the US. I don't remember which city we flew into, but it was on United. I'm guessing New York. All the international flights from or to the US were first class and very comfortable.

United flights didn't have as many bells and whistles as the Turkish and Lufthansa flights I/we used. Getting flights can be a challenge if you deal directly with the airlines, but the credit cards seem to have access to more seats at reasonable rates. They also tend to let you pay money for part of the flight, if you wish or if you don't have enough miles.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    jdurkin wrote:
    Very interesting! I'm not sure if the tips would apply so well for carriers leaving Australia for the rest of the world, but I guess the general principles would apply. Do you have any tips for those useful blogs?

Cheers,

Jan

Sorry Jan, I don't know of any good blogs for Australia, but the principal is the same. Here is one I follow The Points Guy – http://thepointsguy.com/
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. I'm just off on a little jaunt to Singapore this week … I couldn't bear the thought that some points would expire unused! Quelle horreur! But I'm more concerned with nabbing flights to & from Europe next November. A good friend has convinced me to do the Christmas Markets … so at least I have a few international gateways to choose (err, try). So any suggestion are very welcome.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I've read a number of the air travel mileage blogs- unless you are really into this stuff, it can become boring, even mind- numbing, very quickly. The bloggers talk about all sorts of tricks how to earn miles- just signing up for new credit cards, which carriers and credit cards have the best programs, what routes accumulate the most points, etc. They even take special multi-segment trips at the end of the year for no other reason than to add miles and segments to maintain frequent flyer status (silver, gold, etc.) and so on. Some sites also include blogs about airline service, aircraft type, food, seating, etc. They often speak in jargon, referring to the carriers and aircraft by abbreviations, talk about manufacturers/versions of Business class seats, etc., often ad nauseam.

Delta and others have made significant changes to their frequent flyer programs that will take effect in Jan 2015. In Delta's case, earning miles will be weighted on how much you spend on a flight as opposed to how far you fly. In that regard, if you book a flight with Tauck at (their unpublished) discount, you may not receive the miles you would have normally earned flying at the carrier's published rate. I found that out the hard way- of course, I have no clue if the miles earned would have offset the savings. That is hard to compute.

I don't fly much, just two long Tauck and may one short trip each year, so even though the blogger info might save me a little money, I just find it is all a bit too much!

A note about schedules- many (most?) airlines start taking reservations no earlier than 330 days before the departure date. Their website may show you a calendar but won't let you select a date outside 330 days.
  • Options
    Hello Explorer. We are from New York and also taking the late September, 2015 Northbound Treasures of the Aegean from Athens to Istanbul. Is that the one you will be on. Regards,
    Ron
  • Options
    We are also going in Sept 2015. We have booked non stop Delta JFK to Athens and I stop Delta, Istanbul to Paris to JFK?
  • Options
    I am also going in Sept 2015. My trip starts Sept 2 and I will be leaving here on Aug 31. Anyone booked on that trip?
  • Options
    I am also trying to book air and am looking for the best price. Are there any advantages
    tp book the air through Tauck? Are we losing out ($$$) by booking as one way flights (to Athens,
    return from Istanbul).
    jonathan
  • Options
    jdurkin wrote:

Cheers,

Jan

Jan, here is an Australian example: http://www.nab.com.au/personal/campaigns/credit-card-affiliate-qantas-rewards-premium?cid=108443460:0

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file