January 14, 2015

Is anyone booked on this trip?

Comments

• We haven’t booked yet but we’re planning to.

DAB3
  • Dab3 I am assuming you don't mean you are going to book the January 14th trip, you need a visa and it takes quite a while. As far as your weather question goes, look at the temperature charts Tauck provides on the tour information page and decide what those mean for your particular comfort levels. The Ganges was cool and some early mornings like at the Taj Mahal when we went in February.
  • I’m confused....

Do we return to Delhi on Jan 24th or 25th? On the day of departure Jan. 25th.....when is the earliest we can take a departing flight?

Doug
  • Hi to all:

My husband and I are booked on this trip and are really looking forward to it.

DAB3: We got our visas in Chicago and it only took four days in total, and the experience was totally painless. Also, we fly home on Jan. 26 at 3:40 a.m., and not on the 25th. The Tauck folks have reviewed our itinerary (per our travel agent), and we didn't have to book a room extension. But, honestly, I'm not sure if the closing party is on the 24th or 25th.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Judy
  • Hi All,

Visas arrived today so we’re all set! We arrive at 930PM Jan.13 and depart Jan. 25 1130PM. I still find conflicting information on what the weather will be like?! Can anyone comment? A little worried too about how to prepare for Delhi Belly!

Best regards
    Doug
  • edited December 2014
    There is a link to expected weather in 'before You Go'section on the tour details plus you can go to any of the weather websites for current future and averages for all cities. Delhi belly, ask your travel doctor or read ideas from past posts on this forum. Take plenty of hand gel and use it. Keep your hands away from your face. Use hand gel before you eat. Take antibiotics with you just in case. Inform your tour director as soon as you run into a problem with diarrhea and they will get the necessary help to assure a speedy recovery.
  • Hello Doug:

Glad to see you got your visas. It was painless and fast for us as well. I saw on another thread that you asked about clothing. I'm no expert, but we did travel to China a year ago with Tauck. There's an opening and closing party, and both are on the fancy side. Most women wore dresses and men jackets. It's a really great way to start and end the tour. Aside from that, my husband was business casual most days (pants and collared shirts) and I stuck with layers. Long pants and shirts with cardigans. We never leave home without a windbreaker and raincoat, too. We were just fine with those choices last year. I've been watching the New Delhi weather in the Chicago paper, and for the past week it's been 65-70 during the day and high 40s to mid-50s at night. Sounds like perfect touring weather to me!

Another thing--as the group gets comfortable with each other, folks share almost everything. If one runs out of hand sanitizer, another steps in. We even had a doctor touring with us, and he pitched in with advice whenever someone was ailing.

Looking forward to meeting and traveling with you! It should be quite an adventure!

Judy
  • Does anyone know how many people are on the Jan 14th tour?

I’m beginning to think that arriving a day early is not necessary... what’s there to do on an extra day.?

Cheers
    Doug
  • edited January 2015
    Doug, I'm beginning to rhink you are not for real, surely you have booked your flight by now! Most flights arrive in the middle of the night, for example we got to the hotel absolutely exhausted at 3am. Perhaps you are one of those remarkable and weird human beings who does not get jet lag because your body clock malfunctions. My body clock is in great shape, so I get jet lag. This is strenuous tour, mentally more than physically, butwith many early starts, my recommendation for this tour especially is to arrive two days early at least. We were the only ones who did this and were much more together than most others who were pretty jaded after a few days.
    To answer your question about how many on your trip, it looks as if your trip is a small group, if you know Tauck's website well, you can find many more answers about things like that by just opening up the links they provide. Or so near the trip, call them and ask, the number is likely not to increase at this stage, but some might cancel.
    Sorry if this sounds mean, I really am just trying to be helpful.
  • Doug, I think there are a variety of reasons for coming in a day or two early on trips so far away from home. First, I always fear some sort of airline, plane, airport, or weather complication(s). An extra day gives some margin for error. If you are asking airline questions about arrival dates and such at this point in your journey, you must have tickets that are flexible (using miles perhaps) and you can change them without penalties or you don't care what the expense is for changing tickets. Either of which is a great position to be in.

Second, the jet lag issue. I am one of the "remarkable and weird" people who doesn't get jet lag. I have no clue why, Maybe, it's because "my body clock is in great shape." I have no idea whether it is a good or bad thing and won't make any value judgements of other peoples' physical situations. How time changes effect you will help to dictate this part of your trip, but it is based on your requirements and needs.

Coming in at Zero-Dark-Thirty can be an issue. I arrived in Africa at 0100 and got into my room around 0300, but after 4 or 5 hours of sleep I was ready to go. Again, the need for sleep is based on the individual and there is no value judgement to be made. I always figure I'll get all the extra sleep I missed out on when I die.

British is correct when it comes to knowing how many people are on the trip. Just call Tauck and they will tell you exactly how many are registered at that time. It could change, but not by much probably.

Enjoy your trip and travel safely. Happy Trails.
  • Just winding up our tour. We’re on the way to New Delhi from Udaipur tomorrow. I’m shocked and saddened by the way I’ve been treated here by the management of this Hotel. Bitterly disappointed at the implications made against me, too! All I ask is that I be given a room with clean fresh air...surely not too much to ask..... I don’t want an upgrade or a bottle of wine... management is unsympathetic but has provided me with two blankets so I can sleep on the terrace tonight...
  • Just winding up our tour. We’re on the way to New Delhi from Udaipur tomorrow. I’m shocked and saddened by the way I’ve been treated here by the management of this Hotel. Bitterly disappointed at the implications made against me, too! All I ask is that I be given a room with clean fresh air...surely not too much to ask..... I don’t want an upgrade or a bottle of wine... management is unsympathetic but has provided me with two blankets so I can sleep on the terrace tonight...
  • I am not sure what you are talking about, but you are in India. Have you spoken to your tour director, that is the way to go. All our hotel experiences in India were good.
  • Yes, the tour director is fully informed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file