Options

Mosquitoes?

Are mosquitoes a problem in early-mid Feb?

Comments

• Options
    You must take Malaria meds for this trip. Remember that the mosquitoes that can give you Malaria you don't 'see'.
  • Options
    I just finished my typhoid meds this morning and will start the malaria meds in about 10 days. I had no side effects from the typhoid, but suspect I will from the malaria, simply because the pharmacist said to take probiotics during this time as well. Hmmmm.....

But I was wondering if mosquitoes are bad enough that I would need to take a repellent?

Thanks.
    Felicia
  • Options
    Repellent just as important as meds. Spray it onto exposed skin only, being careful to wash your hands afterwards. Take care you are not spraying in the vicinity of others, especially their faces. Better still, use the lotion. Avoiding being bitten in the first place avoids other potential diseases that mosquitoes carry.
    Malaria meds, take during a meal or immediately after. If you can't do this, take with milk. In other words, don't take on an empty stomach and that should help with side effects of nausea at least.
  • Options
    Hi Felicia,

I'm glad to see you're taking the recommended precautions. Mosquitos can indeed be a problem, even in February, and not only are antimalarial medicines necessary, repellent is also very important -- you might not catch malaria if you're taking your medication, but there are few things more miserable than tons of mosquito bites. I've included below the official Tauck recommendations as far as malaria and mosquitos go.

That aside, I truly hope you have a wonderful time in India!

-Tim

MOSQUITOS & MALARIA

Always keep a tube of mosquito repellent with you. Pay special attention to mosquito protection between dusk and dawn. This is when the type of mosquito whose bite transmits malaria is active. Use insect repellents that contain DEET (diethylmethyltoluamide). Read and follow the directions and precautions on the product label.

Apply insect repellent to exposed skin. Do not put repellent on wounds or broken skin. Do not breathe in, swallow, or get into the eyes (DEET is toxic if swallowed). If using a spray product, apply DEET to your face by spraying your hands and rubbing the product carefully over the face, avoiding eyes and mouth.

If you are going to visit areas where there is risk for malaria, take your malaria prevention medication before, during, and after travel, as directed. (See your doctor for a prescription.)

Malaria exists throughout the year in all areas including the cities of Delhi and Mumbai.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file