Pre-and-Post Cruise Options Amsterdam-Budapest

This will be our first experience with Tauck, and looking forward to the adventure. We have a hold on Amsterdam-Budapest in Sep 2016. Yes, it's a ways out! But, thinking about several things that, hopefully, someone who has already completed this trip can help with:
* Did you arrange air through Tauck or on your own? Was one option more cost-effective over the other, or more convenient?
* We will definitely arrive in Amsterdam at least a day early, if not two. For those that arrived early, did you have Tauck arrange hotel or did you do it on your own? Was one option more or less expensive? Any hotel recommendations?
* Not sure if we will stay in Budapest an extra day(s). But similar question for those that did --did you have Tauck arrange hotel or did you do it on your own? Was one option more or less expensive? Any hotel recommendations?
* Did anyone take a side trip to Prague after the cruise ended in Budapest, and fly home from there? Would be interested in your experience with this if you did.

Thanks in advance for all the help! And Happy New Year from Olympia, WA...

glenn.ball@comcast.net

Comments

• Hi Glenn,

I can start the ball rolling with at least some answers. I did the Amsterdam to Bucharest trip a few years ago.

Tauck will only arrange air travel originating in the US. Since I don't live in the States, I don't use that part of their service. However, if you trawl through these forums you will find lots of comments from people who have. Some of the points I've gleaned are that Tauck have seats and fares on their preferred airlines, but they will book other flights for you, if through your own research you've found flights and/or itineraries that suit you better. You don't have to pay for those flights you booked through Tauck until the final payment for your trip is due, which seems to me is a huge advantage over having to pay for your flights around a year in advance!

Depending on the particular trip and how far you book in advance, Tauck often have a free night available (at their designated tour hotel) which you can take either before or after your trip. Additionally, Tauck will book you accommodation at their tour hotel for up to 3 (I think) nights at their negotiated rate. It is always a B & B rate. I've done this often and it works well. However, since I always choose to turn up on day 1 of a Tauck trip free and clear of any lingering jet lag, if it is my first port of call after a long haul flight I usually make my own reservations, at the same hotel, for 5 or 6 nights.

I always do a lot of research before I travel. These forums are one of the research venues I head for. Many posters are very well travelled and they have useful and credible information to pass on. I'm sure there will more people along with further suggestions for you.

You certainly do live in a very beautiful part of the world!

Cheers,

Jan
  • edited December 2014
    As a first time customer with Tauck you will not have been entitled to the free night. I'm also noticing that these vacations are filling up earlier than ever, for example your vacation is already 2016. I am thinking that the free night in hotel offer may soon become a thing of the past, why give away a night if you can sell out without. Or the offer may just become available on specific tours that are not selling as well.
    Flights--- Tauck will book any flight you want at the posted price on the day, big advantage if you have to change your flight or there is an airline strike or whatever -- my advice would be to avoid Air France in that regard. You will not pay until final payment. The Tauck special flights are not always the best or most direct route from where you live, they have deals with specific airlines. They are also not always cheaper. These days we generally book with Tauck.
    Hotels--- if you go early and do not book the Tauck hotel they will not provide the free airport transfers, if you do they will, even if you arrive three days early. As long as you let Tauck know your flights they will be there for you. What a hassle to go to another hotel to save a few bucks, have to lug your own luggage and arrange your own transport plus give the driver and hotel porter a tip, all paid for by Tauck if you use them. Even more of a hassle to check in and then out of a hotel and then check in in another all again chugging your own luggage that you don't have to deal with while with Tauck and then paying for transfer from one hotel to the other . Also what will you do once you check out of one hotel before you check into another if you can't check in early. I thought the whole advantage of cruises over land tours was avoiding having to keep packing and unpacking.
  • British wrote:
    As a first time customer with Tauck you will not have been entitled to the free night. I'm also noticing that these vacations are filling up earlier than ever, for example your vacation is already 2016. I am thinking that the free night in hotel offer may soon become a thing of the past, why give away a night if you can sell out without. Or the offer may just become available on specific tours that are not selling as well.

I'd like to believe you are wrong about the Gift of Time (the free night for previous Tauck travelers who book early). I think it is not as much about filling tours (we've been getting the free night for several years on small group departures which historically sell out) as it is about rewarding loyalty.
  • Tauck also books flights for Canadians, however, although you don't have to pay until your last payment their prices are much higher then my travel agent can come up with. She also gets better connections with a lot less hassle. Unless your bank pays higher interest rates then ours does you are far better off booking your own through a travel agent. In Canada we use CAA which is the same as your AAA. The saving the last time was over $700.
    We have always booked the tour hotel with Tauck and have always received the Gift of Times for our continued loyalty after you use them once. This way they provide transportation to the hotel and you don't have to move from hotel to hotel. When we did this trip we stayed 2 nights extra in Amsterdam and 1 night extra in Budapest, both were great hotels and cities but I wished we had stayed an extra night in Budapest. I don't know why British thinks Tauck is doing away with the Gift of Time as all other companies are doing this or something else to attract business. I know we have it for Scandinavia in July. I agree with British on Air France, not a friendly airline, KLM was great.
    Gary
  • edited December 2014
    Yikes, I am in trouble again. I'm no business person but if I was able to sell a trip without needing to give someone a 'free' night I would. Let's put a stop to any more discussions on this point, just one of many many crazy opinions.
    Flights, it took us a while to realize that you do not have to chose the flight connections or routes Tauck uses to get Tauck to book your flights. If you find a route that you prefer they will book that for you at the same prices you see on that day. But you will not pay until the final bill is due. This is especially good if you are booking almost a year out from the trip and in the days of great interest rates, not so relevant now, but better to make a small profit on the money yourself than someone else make it. Also if Tauck book your flights they can help you change flights in the event of unforeseen events, flight time changes, strikes and so on. IF this occurs and you booked your flights you could be in a remote country with no one speaking your language or no computer to check flights and Tauck legally cannot help you.
  • Arrh ... the wonders of the English language ... as it is spoken, written and understood across the world.

Airport transfers. These are provided because you have paid for them as a component of your total price. Tauck provides transfers from the appropriately "adjacent" airport to the departure point for your tour. In some cities, passengers will arrive by train and Tauck will provide transfers from the station. Provided Tauck have your travel details within their timelines, they will transfer you to their designated hotel. For reasons I don't fully understand the majority of American travellers on Tauck tours arrive at a foreign city on day one of the tour, or possibly the day before. The Tauck accommodation block generally covers up to 3 days, B&B, in a standard room. It is possible they may be able to get more nights for you, but not always. If you want to familiarise yourself with the departure city, perhaps learn about, enjoy or just get over a day or two worth of jet lag, you may want to arrive earlier than the Tauck block booking allows. Given we are talking about Amsterdam, what a wonderful city to be able to explore in a little bit of detail!

Your decision to stay pre or post tour nights in another hotel does not preclude you using your airport transfers, per se. You just need to transport yourself from the drop off point to your chosen accommodation. And tell Tauck where you will be should they need to contact you. I have followed both processes over my many years of travel with Tauck, and even before the free hotel nights were available to non-North Americans. (And for once, I am not casting aspersions on that Sydney lot!)

Do your research. Decide what you want to suit yourself. Do your research. Talk to Tauck and see how best they can meet your pre and post tour needs. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,

Jan
  • jdurkin, British, cantraveler -- Thank you for your responses. I appreciate the advice and the opportunity to draw upon your experience with Tauck.
  • No worries, Glenn. And you're very welcome. Come on back and tell us what you decided!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Hey folks,

Thanks for chiming in with responses! Glenn, I just thought I'd respond to some of your questions so you'd have an official Tauck response.

As far as air goes, Tauck's rates are pre-negotiated prices. If you ask about flight prices right now, it will be (I'm picking a number out of thin air; in the real world, it will vary based on the class of ticket, start and destination point, airline, etc.) $1500. If you check back in six months, it will still be $1500. And so forth. Because our rates are pre-negotiated, sometimes they are cheaper than the rates offered on the airline's websites, and sometimes they are not. Speaking personally, when I'm traveling on a Tauck tour, I prefer to have Tauck book my air -- I find it to be a lot more convenient. That's just me though.
    As for hotels, the answer is similar -- the hotel rates are pre-negotiated, with similar potential savings and costs as I mentioned above with the flights. Personally, I would book the stay at the same hotel, because like Jan mentioned, our contracts with the ground transport companies are such that they will not do transport outside of the last hotel-airport route. If you stay at the hotel and provide your flight information, when you need to leave there will be transport ready for you.
    Last year, I went to Italy with Tauck, and my return flight was at some awful hour -- something like 5 AM (something that I regret now; I'm not sure why I made that choice in retrospect). However, there was, waiting for me at the hotel at 3 AM or so, a lovely and comfortable car to bring me to the Florence airport.

I hope this helps! And Happy New Year!

-Tim
  • TauckTim (and everyone else who has responded to my questions) -- Thank You! Appreciate all the good info and tips. We are leaning towards going with Tauck for air and pre/post-cruise hotels, but will probably compare what Tauck offers to what we might arrange on our own. We'll certainly keep in mind the "transfers" issue if we decide not to go with Tauck.

Right now we're also debating on whether to stay in Budapest for an extra day or so when our cruise ends, or do that plus take a side trip to Prague since we're fairly close, and fly back to Seattle from there. As is probably the case with everyone on this forum, lot's to consider. Fortunately, in our case, we have plenty of time to research options and make decisions since cruise is not until Sep 2016.

Happy New Year to all!
  • Hi all, Happy New Year! My husband and I are traveling from Amsterdam to Budapest in October 2015. We're currently making plans to extend our trip by 3 days so we can visit Prague. We're considering driving or taking the train. Has anyone done either? We've found several sites that give suggested itineraries for Prague and are considering taking a private tour the first morning we're in Prague- does anyone have any particular suggestions or recommendations? Any assistance would be greatly apreciated. Thanks.
  • I haven't taken a private tour in Prague, but I have in Rome (twice), Amalfi coast, Monaco, Florence, Taormina, Dubrovnik, Venice, Munich, Potsdam, St. A ndrews, and a couple more and I was very pleased. The prices that I paid were reasonable considering we had our own car, driver, and often a guide. Sometimes the driver, who usually wasn't an "official" guide, knew enough to give as much information as the "official" guide.

We always had an "official" guide for a particular spot. For example, we had a guide for the Vatican, The Accademia, The Old City (Dubrovnik), Pompeii, etc. Even so, sometimes we just hired a guide for a few hours or the day and it was very reasonable. The cars are typically a Mercedes S-Class or a Mercedes Van (if the number of people warranted it). Where we were with Tauck, of course, we didn't need it. This was usually on a trip we scheduled ourselves, or maybe on a cruise port of call. I went on a Disney Cruise last June with my youngest daughter and her family. The five of us just made our own agenda and told the driver where we wanted to go. If he thought something we had was not worth seeing, he/she'd make a suggestion and we'd either accept it or stay with our plan. Sometimes we were a bit "aggressive" in our planning and had to shorten things a bit. Anyway, I didn't want to be on a Disney excursion with 55 people on a bus (half of them ______ kids--fill in your own adjective) and just made arrangements for a private tour. After talking to others on the boat who did go on excursions we made the correct decision. By-the-way, contrary to my expectations, the cruise was fantastic for all of us--adults and children. Another advantage of a private tour, especially if you are into photography, you can stop anywhere that you think is a "Kodak" moment, eat lunch, make a head call, etc.

I went through a guy in Italy and he did a great job. I have no dog in the race, but would be glad to give you his contact information if you want it. He seems to be able to arrange things anywhere in Europe. I was a big hit with his family. I brought them some Double-Stuf Oreos from the states. For some reason, they can't get them in Italy. I was sent pictures with little kids and Oreo/milk mustaches.

Enjoy your trip.

• What a great thread, glad I found it! GlennAlcira, we also have a September 2016 voyage on hold, and will be joining a couple of friends from Washington State!

We will be first time Tauckers (Tauckists), so no "gift of time" for us, this time. As for the pre- and post-cruise hotels, are the prices competitive? I know my experience with Regent and Oceania has taught me that the price for this seamless convenience is outrageous. In general, I'd like to pick my own hotels, in the parts of the city where I want to stay. What hotel does Tauck generally use in Amsterdam? And Budapest?

We've been to Amsterdam multiple times, so may choose to start in some other city then fly to Amsterdam a day or two early, enough time to stroll the canals and go back to our favourite museums. Do you know if Tauck's air program could handle that? (I'm thinking London at this point.)

Will Tauck book different classes of air at the "going rate"? We generally try for Premium Economy these days--more spacious and comfortable for long flights, but not outrageously expensive. British Airways is preferred in this case. Air France is also a possibility, in which case we'd spend a few days in Paris instead.

If they can be that flexible in booking air, I can see the advantages of letting Tauck book the air. Do they charge a deviation fee for flying in early, leaving late.

I agree with the other poster that you want to get over your jetlag and spend some time in the city of embarkation--Amsterdam is a terrific place. Also looking forward to deciding how long to stay in Budapest.

If anyone here has taken this cruise, can you tell me what the Amsterdam day tour is like? How long do you get in the Rijksmuseum, for instance? Would I be better just spending the day on my own and meeting up to be transported upriver? Is it possible to stay on the boat instead?

• There are quite a number of cruises that have time in Amsterdam and I'm sure they vary slightly depending on their daily schedule and time available. I finished a Rhine & Mosel cruise in Amsterdam this past September & it included a morning canal cruise and about a 2 hour (give or take) visit to the Rijksmuseum. I hadn't been to the Rijksmuseum since it reopened after an extensive renovation so just the new entrance and foyer were impressive. To be fair, I had spent about a whole day at the museum in 2010, so the 2 hours on this trip were almost sufficient to satisfy my need to see the highlights again. But if you are keen on all things Dutch art you will need to make time for a more extended visit. It is such an impressive collection and if you enjoy art appreciation, you might never want to leave!

I doubt you'd find a berth on the boat .... the passengers with the cruise before will still be in residence! Why not check with Tauck if they can find 1 night for you at their hotel? The extra night rates are usually very good. Alternatively, maybe you could cash in some CC or hotel loyalty points. Amsterdam has so much to see. Who knew there was a museum of handbags? Sounds a bit twee, but as a social history statement it was absolutely fascinating and so worth the walk along the canals to get there. It's housed in a converted canal house and that alone is worth the visit.

Cheers,

Jan
  • WWanderer wrote:
    What a great thread, glad I found it! GlennAlcira, we also have a September 2016 voyage on hold, and will be joining a couple of friends from Washington State!

We will be first time Tauckers (Tauckists), so no "gift of time" for us, this time. As for the pre- and post-cruise hotels, are the prices competitive? I know my experience with Regent and Oceania has taught me that the price for this seamless convenience is outrageous. In general, I'd like to pick my own hotels, in the parts of the city where I want to stay. What hotel does Tauck generally use in Amsterdam? And Budapest?

We've been to Amsterdam multiple times, so may choose to start in some other city then fly to Amsterdam a day or two early, enough time to stroll the canals and go back to our favourite museums. Do you know if Tauck's air program could handle that? (I'm thinking London at this point.)

Will Tauck book different classes of air at the "going rate"? We generally try for Premium Economy these days--more spacious and comfortable for long flights, but not outrageously expensive. British Airways is preferred in this case. Air France is also a possibility, in which case we'd spend a few days in Paris instead.

If they can be that flexible in booking air, I can see the advantages of letting Tauck book the air. Do they charge a deviation fee for flying in early, leaving late.

I agree with the other poster that you want to get over your jetlag and spend some time in the city of embarkation--Amsterdam is a terrific place. Also looking forward to deciding how long to stay in Budapest.

If anyone here has taken this cruise, can you tell me what the Amsterdam day tour is like? How long do you get in the Rijksmuseum, for instance? Would I be better just spending the day on my own and meeting up to be transported upriver? Is it possible to stay on the boat instead?
    Gosh there are a lot of questions here. Some of the information can be found right here on the Tauck website on the page for the tour you are on, for example the hotels they use, pre and post trip and the prices.
    I do not know if Tauck will handle flights going to another city first and then Amsterdam, especially if it is more than three days before the tour begins. There is some sort of 3 day rule which I have never had to understand because the earliest I can usually stay pre tour is two days. I think there is some kind of issue with the Tauck insurance you can buy in that instance. Tauck have booked Premium Economy and Coach class for me on the same tour, for example US to London Coach and then Premium Economy to Africa. They do not charge any extra for flying in early or leaving late. And if you use the Tauck hotel they will pick you up any time and take you to the hotel as long as you provide flight details. Your tips will be paid to driver and bell boy and the hotel rate always includes breakfast.
    I think the easiest thing for you to do is call Tauck with all your questions, they are friendly and helpful. You can talk to one of their agents and then the Air department. I don't have to call them very often at all, but when I have they have always been able to help straight away or will call me back. I Always book with Tauck directly, we have not used a Travel agent for a very very long time.
    If you get the answers to all these questions maybe you can post information for others. Good luck!
  • British wrote:
    Gosh there are a lot of questions here. Some of the information can be found right here on the Tauck website on the page for the tour you are on, for example the hotels they use, pre and post trip and the prices.
    I do not know if Tauck will handle flights going to another city first and then Amsterdam, especially if it is more than three days before the tour begins. There is some sort of 3 day rule which I have never had to understand because the earliest I can usually stay pre tour is two days. I think there is some kind of issue with the Tauck insurance you can buy in that instance. Tauck have booked Premium Economy and Coach class for me on the same tour, for example US to London Coach and then Premium Economy to Africa. They do not charge any extra for flying in early or leaving late. And if you use the Tauck hotel they will pick you up any time and take you to the hotel as long as you provide flight details. Your tips will be paid to driver and bell boy and the hotel rate always includes breakfast.
    I think the easiest thing for you to do is call Tauck with all your questions, they are friendly and helpful. You can talk to one of their agents and then the Air department. I don't have to call them very often at all, but when I have they have always been able to help straight away or will call me back. I Always book with Tauck directly, we have not used a Travel agent for a very very long time.
    If you get the answers to all these questions maybe you can post information for others. Good luck!

Thanks, I will post any info that I get.

I don't generally find that included transfers are meaningful to me, since there is usually lots of sitting around hotel lobbies waiting for a bus--I'd rather be on my own, get a cab. Especially in Amsterdam where there's no particular reason to embark early. Of course, it would be nice to have our luggage taken care of, but I'm sure any hotel will hold it for us after check-out.

Thanks for the information on the "three day rule", I'll look into that when the time comes--I did opt for Tauck insurance. Nice to know they don't charge extra. I expect I'll be booking my own air.
  • I regularly arrive at a Tauck departure point up to a week before the set departure date ... particularly if it is my first port of call after a long haul flight. I make sure Tauck have my details well ahead of time and I have always been met by a driver and a limo. Just for me. For the return transfer, I have sometimes shared a car with another couple, at a pre-set time to match my flight. I haven't experienced any ..."sitting around in lobbies waiting for a bus". There is only one exception to this. On the actual cruise departure date, passengers do not generally embark till 4:00 pm and many people arrive the day before to take advantage of an extra night. Tauck transfers everyone to the boat by bus. Since the usual hotel checkout time is midday, you will often find groups of people congregate in the hotel foyer, rather than exploring the local environment. Normally, there is a Tauck staffer on hand in the hotel foyer to answer questions/check in guests. If this sort of people watching opportunity does not interest you, it is an easy thing to go exploring and then return closer to departure time. As with all things "travel" there are rules and limitations but they are usually transparent to the individual traveller. It is always best to check with Tauck directly. I hear too many stories, from people from all over the world, who do not seem to be aware of exactly what services Tauck includes.

Please check directly with Tauck about the "three day rule". I can tell you categorically that it does not apply to arrival transfers. There might be an outer limit, but even I haven't encountered it. There might be other considerations and limitations, but nothing like a "three day rule". I have never heard of that. There are some limitations on extra days at the Tauck hotel at the Tauck rate, but that is an entirely different thing. Nothing to do with the included transfers.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Thank you Jan! I presumed that the "three day rule", if any, pertained to air travel arranged by Tauck, or hotels booked by Tauck. In any case, thanks for the heads-up. My TA has travelled on a Tauck river cruise, and knows the ins and outs, and will tell me all about it, I'm sure.
  • edited January 2015

Please check directly with Tauck about the "three day rule". I can tell you categorically that it does not apply to arrival transfers. There might be an outer limit, but even I haven't encountered it. There might be other considerations and limitations, but nothing like a "three day rule". I have never heard of that. There are some limitations on extra days at the Tauck hotel at the Tauck rate, but that is an entirely different thing. Nothing to do with the included transfers.

Cheers,

Jan
    I am remembering another thread earlier in the year, lots of discussion, made me read the Tauck insurance and so on more carefully. Someone had booked flights outside of three days themselves and were complaining about not getting money back for a cancelled flight. It appears that Tauck may consider a longer trip as another and separate vacation. As you state, anything that is written here should be checked with Tauck directly. Things can very quickly become out of date or changed. Just a couple of examples that come to mind---- a very bumpy road up to a hotel in Africa that someone mentioned, has now been paved. The hotel on the hill in Auckland, is that the Langham, or the Sofitel that will be used instead from February?
    This forum is absolutely great for sparking ideas, thinking about visas, clothing, an unusual side trip and so on, but it is no substitute for speaking to a Tauck agent at their headquarters, not even a Travel agent, since some mentioned here have sadly been lacking in knowledge. And then there are the not to be mentioned agents in Australia Jan!
    I have been able to utilize many things on my vacations that I have read on this forum. Jan, I even used the Book Depository to get a rare book because you enlightened me about their services.
    I do hope people continue to post their thoughts and tips, because when someone posts nothing more than ' Is anyone going on this trip!' And then the next person, types 'Yes we are' it gets pretty boring.
  • Hi British,

I remember answering that Auckland question. Whatever date the poster gave, (and who knows if they were actually on that trip rooly & trooly!) I did check the accommodation because I had in my mind they were changing to the Sofitel. And of course, none of us know if the web site has been changed to reflect the accommodation change mid-season. You are quite right! Nothing beats checking with Tauck directly. We could all be spouting rubbish! ;)))

Cheers,

Jan

PS. The Sofitel, Auckland, is in a great location. No need for a shuttle to get you back up the side of a volcano! More need to worry about global warming sea level rise! And that's no joke.
  • edited March 2015
    I presume the OP has now actually booked this trip. We confirmed our September AMS-BUD trip last week.

As for the original question, I'm leaning towards a pre-cruise stay in London. We haven't been there for a while, and it would be nice to see the city as it now is, plus take a side trip or so to some smaller city in the south like Oxford or Cambridge.

I'm hoping we can arrange this by flying British Airways, which has a Premium Economy seat class that we really like (and can afford).

We will probably spend an extra day in Amsterdam, although it's too early to decide. Love this city, but have been there multiple times, so I'm thinking London instead. Paris would be an option as well, since AF also has Premium Economy, but we'll be spending some time in Paris this year.

Haven't thought about post-cruise time. Our friends who are doing this cruise with us will proceed to Prague, but we are undecided.
  • Avoid Air France at all costs, they are frequently on strike!
  • British wrote:
    Avoid Air France at all costs, they are frequently on strike!

Funny, we did take AF last fall, and in fact, they did go on strike, but our flight home still flew, so we were happy. Hadn't thought about that, and in fact, we're flying AF again this fall, to Paris and then on to Cairo. I will keep my fingers crossed.
  • Hey WWanderer (and others)... If you are monitoring this thread thought I'd let you know that our TA (thru AAA) secured the "gift of time" for us in Amsterdam, even tho we are also first-time travelers with Tauck.

I'm still debating what to do after Budapest. We will probably stay at least an extra day, but we're also considering a side-trip to Prague for a few days. I spoke with Tauck and was told a Prague side-trip cannot be arranged through them, so if we did this it would be on our own. No big deal; but sometimes easier if we can just do everything through the vendor.

If anyone has thoughts on doing Prague for a few days following Budapest, please let me know. Thanks!
  • Our friends, who are on this cruise with us, are going to do that. At the moment I think we'll just stay in Budapest for a couple of days.

I'm not sure what their plans will be, because I'm talking 2016, but I believe they will take the train to Prague, but that's all I know.

I wonder how your TA got the "gift of time" for you. It would be nice.
  • WWanderer -- Re the Gift of Time.... as I understand it, our TA (AAA) had a regional AAA VP contact the Tauck liaison for AAA and made the request. Rest is history. Also, you might suggest your friends look into flying vs train if they go to Prague. Train is 7 hrs and about #350 for 2 people; plan is 1.5 hrs and around $200. When I looked at train schedule they had a terrible rival time in Prague of like 4 am.
  • edited November 2015
    GlennAlcira,
    We along with another couple from Bloomington, IN are on the Amsterdam to Budapest southbound trip departing September 9, 2016. We are going to arrive a day early in Amsterdam and stay at the Hotel de Europe (arranged by Tauck). At the end of the trip we are going to Prague and staying at the Marriott. (arranged by Tauck). We are flying to Prague instead of train as we found the same lousy and long train connections. We are using Tauck for airline reservations the whole way but our friends from Bloomington did their own thing. Still have not planned the Prague end of the trip.

Enjoyed your conversations in these threads.
  • Train or Plane to Budapest:

We have analyzed this question a bit differently than a couple of previous posters, as follows.

The train appears to us to be a much more pleasant alternative to flying from BUD to PRG. When one considers the travel time to get out to the Budapest airport, necessary early check-in, security, flight time, baggage claim, and then the travel time back into central Prague from the airport, the total hotel-to-hotel travel time involved is quite similar; and we’d certainly prefer spending that time on a comfortable train than in a couple of airports and a plane.

It is true that a first class seat on the direct trains from Budapest to Prague is more expensive than a coach seat on the plane but not by much.

I don't understand the statements that the schedules are dreadful, as there are direct trains (no changes required) with quite decent departure and arrival times. For example, there is a direct train that departs Budapest at about 9:45 am and arrives into central Prague at about 4:30 pm, thereby allowing a transit in full daylight to watch the countryside go by and still arrive into Prague in time to settle easily into the hotel and have a nice dinner that evening.

Full disclosure here (as they say on cable news) - my partner & I love train travel and have done a great deal of it around Europe, as well as Japan. Therefore, we admit to having a bias in favor of train travel over air travel when the two have comparable travel time elements, all things considered.

In any event, after our Amsterdam-Budapest cruise next year on Treasures, we will spend a couple of nights in Budapest and then have a delightful train trip to Prague, where we will spend several days before returning home. We are looking forward eagerly to the cruise, to the time in Budapest, to the train trip, and to the time in Prague.

Cheers, Fred
  • GlennAlcira,
    We along with another couple from Bloomington, IN are on the Amsterdam to Budapest southbound trip departing September 9, 2016. We are going to arrive a day early in Amsterdam and stay at the Hotel de Europe (arranged by Tauck). At the end of the trip we are going to Prague and staying at the Marriott. (arranged by Tauck). We are flying to Prague instead of train as we found the same lousy and long train connections. We are using Tauck for airline reservations the whole way but our friends from Bloomington did their own thing. Still have not planned the Prague end of the trip.

Enjoyed your conversations in these threads.

Terry Hester: We have definitely decided to go into AMS probably 2 days early, then extend the cruise for an extra day in Budapest followed by 3 days in Prague. I'm still considering flying BUD-PRG or the train alternative. I saw the post from Freddie re his comparison of air vs rail BUD-PRG, and what he says makes sense. I'll have to look at the train schedule more closely, because I didn't see the 9:45 am departure from BUD that he mentions. I would definitely like for Tauck to give me an air quote Seattle-AMS and PRG-SEAttle on the return, and compare what they quote vs what I might do on my own. Our TA said that good flight/hotel deals can be found thru Delta Vacations, where Delta bundles air and hotels if you stay in their contract hotel at least 3 nights. Haven't looked into this yet.

Freddie: Thanks for your input and insight in air vs rail BUD-PRG. All these conversations are very helpful!

We will probably look into small group tour options in Prague in order to maximize the time we have there. We were in Italy last year and did tours with Dark Rome in both Florence & Rome. It was a great way to see the sites in a small-group setting, and not bad price-wise. If anyone knows of a similar tour company, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks!
  • edited November 2015
    Glenn - I'm pleased that you are considering the train option. On which departure date from Amsterdam are you booked? We are on 17 September. If you are interested in food, we've found a very interesting foodie tour in Prague - the "Prague Food & Culture Tour". http://www.tasteofprague.com/prague-food-culture-tour/ We plan to take that tour and perhaps the same company's "Prague Foodie Tour", if it is not duplicative of the other one. Cheers, Fred

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file