Options

Spotlight on India, Feb 4

I am booked on this trip to India. This is my 6 or 7th Tauck trip and I've had the opportunity to travel throughout the world with Tauck. I am a single woman traveler and always enjoy about meeting fellow Tauck travelers.

I do have a couple of questions about the trip...Are there any opportunities to do laundry while in India?

I've read much of the message traffic about money, but hope to get a clarification. I usually bring about $100 worth of the currency (rupees) with me when I arrive, plus a couple hundred of US dollars. I notify my bank so I can use an ATM while in country to get ruppees...I assume this possible in India. I also notify my credit cards so I can use one for shopping. Does anyone have any comments on this plan?

I've noticed that the weather will not be really warm, so are there opportunities for swimming....hotel pool?...any need to bring a bathing suit?

Thanks and hope to hear from others booked on this trip....Mary Ellen

Comments

• Options
    Hi Mary Ellen, we did this tour exactly a year ago. There is no opportunity to do laundry yourself, most people do their laundry in the rivers, you will see plenty of that. But you can get laundry done at the hotels, no idea about cost, though I think we may have used it a little. If there are laundry facilities I personally don't think it would be worth the hassle to go out and find one and riskthe hoards of people begging for handouts and trying to cross the streets.
    Rupees, I got these easily from my bank in the US but discovered after arriving in India that you are not supposed to take them into or out of the country.
    ATMs several people on our tour were unable to get their cards to work despite having informed their banks about traveling. Small denominations of rupee notes are needed for street trinkets, like 10 rupees.
    Beautiful indoor swimming pool at New Delhi Oberoi, we used it, there is an outdoor pool but it is not used as far as I know. I already can't remember about pools at other hotels, could you check their websites?
  • Options
    Hi Mary Ellen,

All of the hotels on this trip do have valet laundry services, so if you need to have your clothes cleaned, that is always an option.
    While I can't advise about how much will be useful for you (as that depends in large part on how much you would like to spend), yes, you can absolutely use ATMs at the airport or hotels to get local currency. We do recommend, however, that you tell your bank where you will be traveling, and what your return date will be, so that charges won't be declined accidentally. We also recommend that you make a photocopy of the front and back sides of your ATM and credit cards to leave with someone at home, who can assist you in the event your cards are lost or stolen.
    And lastly, yes, you should bring a bathing suit because the hotels do have pools, and reportedly, they are really gorgeous.

I hope you have a great time on your trip! :)

-Tim
  • Options
    I am booked on this trip to India. This is my 6 or 7th Tauck trip and I've had the opportunity to travel throughout the world with Tauck. I am a single woman traveler and always enjoy about meeting fellow Tauck travelers.

I do have a couple of questions about the trip...Are there any opportunities to do laundry while in India?

I've read much of the message traffic about money, but hope to get a clarification. I usually bring about $100 worth of the currency (rupees) with me when I arrive, plus a couple hundred of US dollars. I notify my bank so I can use an ATM while in country to get ruppees...I assume this possible in India. I also notify my credit cards so I can use one for shopping. Does anyone have any comments on this plan?

I've noticed that the weather will not be really warm, so are there opportunities for swimming....hotel pool?...any need to bring a bathing suit?

Thanks and hope to hear from others booked on this trip....Mary Ellen

Hi Mary Ellen:
    I'm on this tour at the same time as you, and I too am a single woman traveler. I have never been on a Tauck trip, but I've heard wonderful things about them.

I'm wondering about the ATMs myself. I read the moderator's reply, that it's no problem, but I have a stupid bank and am concerned that even if I tell them, I will not be able to use my ATM card. I think if it came down to it, I could get cash from the hotel on my credit card, though?

I'm bringing a bathing suit.

Do you know if we will need mosquito repellent?

I started taking my typhoid meds a couple of days ago - no side effects! I start malaria in a couple of weeks and suspect there may be side effects because the pharmacist advised taking a probiotic with them, although I have to have 4 hours between doses.

Chattering due to excitement.............
    Felicia
  • Options
    Thanks all, for your helpful comments...I'm not really concerned about laundry, but I always ask...

Felicia...I've traveled solo on many Tauck tours, and it's always been a really fun experience. I've not had problems with ATMs in other places, China, SW Asia, So American...etc....so fingers crossed in India....I try to be sure I have a number of options, so if one doesn't work, maybe another one will...

Now, I'm dealing with the clothing issue...Are capris acceptable?...I don't wear skirts and don't want to bring heavy jeans....Always bring a small, spraybottle of insect stuff...

I've got all my shots (typhoid shot versus pills since that is what I've had before), so no problems there. I'm ignoring malaria....Guess I should pack the old bathing suit...

Yes, I'm starting to get excited also....I have a place in FL, but currently living in the DC area....I enjoy the heat, so that should not be an issue. I travel a lot, but each trip is new and exciting adventure. I'm no spring chicken, but hope to keep traveling to more exotic places after India.

I'm arriving a couple of days early, I think Feb2....See you soon...MEH
  • Options
    Update...I called Tauck this morning to confirm my air and they say that 24 people will be on the trip...That should be a nice number.

After some soul searching, I decided to call my doctor and get on the malaria meds.....Guess, that will be best.....Otherwise, just continue to get excited about the trip....Looking forward to meeting everyone soon..MEH
  • Options
    Mary Ellen, I am so glad you decided to get the Malaria meds, I decided to refrain from making my usual comments about Malaria. In my younger days in England I cared for many a traveller suffering from Malaria after a trip to India. Also please note, it is by no means hot in Northern India at this time of year,, it's darn right cold the early morning at the Taj and on the Ganges both early morning and at night when you go to see the River being 'Put to Sleep' the upside of having all the funeral pyers burning is that they do tend to keep you warm if you are near enough to them. I temd to not feel the cold as much as others --- ah the the tough British in me, but I did need coat and hat on these occasions. Fantastic memories form this tour! Enjoy!
  • Options
    Thanks British...I've been watching the weather and have noted about the potential cold nights...I'm a hot weather person so trying to pack smartly....I'm off to buy a fleece jacket today!!

You are correct about the malaria...I keep forgetting that I'm getting older and should be more careful about such things....luckily, I'm still healthy enough for traveling and hope I have many more opportunities to explore new and different places.

Safe travels ...MEH
  • Options
    Jackets- our latest acquisitions this year have been light down feather jackets and vests that come with a very small bag, about 6 inches long and about 6 inches diameter. And not surprising, they are as light as a feather. they really do not take up any room in a suitcase. If you don't want to pay a fortune, the cheapest and I think best place to buy is the Japanese clothing store Uniqlo, they are popping up all over the country and also on line. They come in all sorts of colors and some patterns. Costco had some great ones too, but it's now the wrong time of year to catch them there. Note Uniqlo sizes run small. A few people wore these jackets on our India tour, they are very very popular now. Also try Ll bean, or any of the outdoor stores like EMS or REI

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file