Purse/backpack? and items on coaches?

How do you women plan to carry items around with you in India? (Or for those who have been, how did you do this?) I always leave my purse in the room and wear a backpack; however, even though it does fasten pretty well, I'm not sure about even attempting this in India with it being so crowded.

Also, if you purchase something, is it generally safe to leave it on the bus when you get off at the next stop? I know we're not going to have a lot of time for shopping, but in those cases when we might, I don't want to lug a bag around (another need for a backpack).

Thanks.
Felicia

Comments

• All Tauck buses are locked and guarded during stops. You can carry a small bag around and leave purchases and backpack or daybag on bus. Leave all unnecessary items in your room, valuables in safe. Avoid bringing expensive jewelery or anything too showy.
  • I seldom take a purse. I have a small backpack (totes) that stores in an envelope when packed and I open it and use it as a day pack...It can carry everything I need for the day....Yes, the bus is always secured so no problems there. 100% concur with everything British said....always use the room safe at the hotel!!...I wear cheap earrings and any other jewelry I want including cheap watch....

Starting to look at weather...it appears most of the places we will visit will be either high 60's or low 70's in the day and about 50 at night.....trying to pack accordingly....MEH
  • I've been looking at these over the shoulder day packs. They look large enough to hold a camera but still be secure. The only expensive jewelry I'll be wearing is my fake $20 wedding ring. LOL

I always try to pack minimally, but for a 2 week trip, I suspect I'll have to have a checked bag in addition to a carryon. :(

Good to know about the coaches being securely locked.

Seems like things are going as planned - all meds are taken except malaria which I'll start in about a week. Got a few more sundries to buy.

If the weather remains as you say, Mary Ellen, then I'll be ecstatic. I love that kind of weather!
    Felicia
  • Just returned home from Spotlight on Monday, 1/26, and had a spectacular time! It's a challenging trip but so worth it. The Oberoi hotels are gorgeous with very well-trained staff who make the stays that much more special.

I carried with me a cross-body bag that was large enough to hold sunglasses, camera, etc. I like the hands-free nature of a cross-body and it seemed to me that those with backpacks were constantly apologizing for banging into others when they forgot they had it on! In most locations, there is x-ray scanning of bags, so definitely take something that's easy-on, easy-off. The coaches are always well attended and we left larger bags there, although we stopped taking them with us as time went on.

The local guides hold "bus bazaars" and that's your best bet for inexpensive trinkets and local picture books. Folks on our trip who didn't listen well always paid more to the hawkers on the streets than we paid on the bus. Have plenty of 100 rupee notes, and have fun!

I'm happy to answer any questions before your trip, so please don't hesitate!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file