Malaria

We're on the trip starting May 7 and were wondering if there any issues with malaria when on the Yangtze. Do we need malaria pills?

Comments

• While it is unlikely you will be told to take malaria pills for this journey, check the CDC recommendations as well as your local travel clinic. They will map your journey and see if you are going to be going into a malaria prone area.
  • The CDC forum is very general. From former travelers, do most people take malaria pills?
  • Your best resource is still your local travel clinic. They have the most up to date info. While I did not take malaria pills for China, things change.
  • Hi Marvin,
    My husband and I are travelling on the same trip. We went to a local travel clinic and they advised us to take the malaria pills.
  • edited March 2015
    Travel clinics will not only advise you whether you require malaria meds, but they will prescribe the correct one for you. Different parts of the world require different malaria meds because some mosquitoes become resistant to certain medications. We forum posters can tell you our experiences but we are no substitute for talking to professionals who have been informed of your personal health records. Enjoy your trip!
  • We took the trip last year in April. While we did not take malaria pills, I was told by our local blood bank that I would be deferred from donating for one year because the Yangtze river area is a malaria zone.

I agree with the others who have referred you to a travel clinic or the CDC website. This is a question for professionals.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file