MADRID AIRPORT

MADRID AIRPORT
Here are some snippets about Madrid airport. It's a large modern very spread out airport.
If you are flying directly back to the U.S. You will probably be going through Terminal 4
This is how it works--- and I upgraded to Business for $500 when I checked in on line, always a treat because I do not often fly this class. So the process for Economy class could be slower.
First you check in, then you take a longish walk to security, we were able to use Fast Track, so maybe there are other longer lines, which could have been elsewhere.
Then you go down 4, yes 4 escalators to catch a train to Terminal 4 S, about a five minute ride. Then more escalators to Passport control, then more walking and escalators and then a long walk through a huge Duty free area to the gates. You pass through quite long lines of a secondary security near the gate area. We flew American Airlines, the gates are at the very end of the terminal. We were told to be at the gate a whole hour before the flight was due to leave, in fact, we were called fifteen minutes earlier than that to clear the security lines.
So what I learned! You really do need to be at the airport three hours early. As you do not have to remove shoes at security, it's a good idea to wear close toe shoes for all the escalators and walking. Have a carry on bag that is comfortable or easy to transport on all the escalators, we did not see any obvious elevators. And maybe even upgrade to make things a little but only a little easier.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file