Options

Arriving Early/Leaving After Tour Ends

We are going on the Essence of Japan tour in October. Prior to us booking our flights, is there any reason to arrive more than one day early in Osaka or stay extra days after the tour ends in Tokyo? Just wondering if there is anything we need to see that Tauck does not include in their itinerary?

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2015
    To answer this question, I could literally consult my resident expert, Mr. B. Who has been to Japan many many times, especially Osaka,. I've been there twice but it was twenty years ago, he was last in Japan about three years ago, but literally lived in Osaka on and off for six months and about forty other trips. I consulted him about the Osaka itinerary and he says Tauck pretty much cover the important bits. But our main suggestion to you would be to visit the Osaka Aquarium, it is by far the most amazing aquarium I have ever visited and even has a Whale shark! Actually, I just checked out the website and they now have two. If you go to this website http://www.kaiyukan.com/language/eng/ There is a you tube video you can view, giving all the details of how to get there and other attractions in the area. I visited with my children and we went by train on our own, about a half hour, no worries that I can't speak Japanese, my husband was busy, he can speak Japanese pretty well though. The other attractions mentioned were not there when I visited, but the boat ride etc sound interesting. I think this might be a nice easy way to help get over jet lag.
    As far as when to arrive, allow at least two nights of sleep in Japan before the tour starts says Mr. B. If you want to know which way up you are before the Tauck tour begins. Japan is a very safe and amazing country. I love it, but of course it is way down on Mr B's must visit list because he has been so often, but he does love it there. I experienced my first earthquake in Japan, I've slept in A temple on mats on the floor, i've been to a real Japanese bath bouse. We have stayed in a Japanese family's home with them. I have been on the Bullet train. And!!!! I've been in the Hard Rock Cafe Osaka!
    As far as Tokyo goes, Mr. B is less familiar with the sites there than in other areas of Japan. He has been to Tokyo about eight times but has always been too busy to site see apart from going to sites with a colleague one time and he just followed him around without taking in where and how he got there. He did just tell me that a good place to go for souvenirs in Tokyo is Asakusa where they have market type stalls selling pretty much anything. Good quality. There is also a beautiful temple there.....if you go, please report about this area to me, so that when I can persuade Mr B to take me back, I'll have some else's perspective on it!
  • Options
    Thank you British for your detailed suggestion for Osaka. I will look into visiting the Osaka Aquarium prior to start of the Tauck Tour. Perhaps travelers who have done this trip recently with Tauck will have other suggestions for Tokyo as well. I would also appreciate restaurant suggestions (nothing funky) for meals that are not included and suggestions for things to do during free time. Are there any other shopping opportunities not to miss on this trip?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Hi, I am sure your tour director will give you lots of suggestions for restaurants and other things to do. I was taken to a crafts center but my most fun memory of shopping was on my first trip to Japan when i took a walk to a nearby department store and when I walked in there were greeters in white gloves bowing to me and I was almost too frightened to continue inside. I love the pottery, everything comes in sets of five. I also love the carved wooden kokeshi dolls, I'm afraid to say I have quite a collection, Mr B found it easy to pick up one of those at the airport every time he visited for me, he's not one to go shopping. Japanese prints are nice, there is such a variety of beautiful decorative or functional things to buy, all beautifully made, all gorgeous designs. Men's handkerchiefs are gorgeous, Mr B has always never been without a handkerchief in his pocket since he was a young man so he does of course still have some Japanese ones. You see the men using them to finish drying their hands when they come out of the public bathrooms.
    Mr B was also take to a Temple sale, like an upmarket flea market. They are held on occasion and popular, he came home with a wedding kimono, red and gold embroidery, used of course, it cost about $50 and is quite a talking point on our upper landing wall. He also got an antique china headrest and a china bento 'box'---a stack of three round bowls with a lid. Yes dusting day in our house keeps me very busy! When I think of what is Japanese in our home, it's quite a lot. There is a area I visited where you can buy all the plastic food you can see to replicate the food you can chose in a restaurant, so of course I got a couple of pieces of plastic sushi. I suppose it might be worth asking the concierge if there are any temple sales scheduled nearby if you are free and interested.
    Prices--- these days, I am not sure whether prices will appear expensive, cheap or so so because the Yen against the dollar has changed so much, plus I must have been in my mid thirties when I first went to Japan and did not have the same resources to spend as I do now. Whenever we travel i am only allowed a very small amount of time to shop, and of course I don't want to miss the sites just to shop. Tauck has a similar philosophy that I appreciate about shopping, so I either do research about possibilities or have learned to scan very quickly, make up my mind quickly and buy or not in the few minutes Tauck gives you on their tours to shop. Serious shopping can be done in the down time, but you have to remember weight restrictions and room in. your suitcase. I only get the odd thing on Tauck tours and let's face it, I'm married to an Englishman, he hates to be in a shop.
    I do hope I can go back to Japan, the Tauck tour looks great!
  • Options
    British, this is our 10th Tauck Tour so I know that shopping is limited on the tour itself. My husband hates to shop as well and we never miss sightseeing to shop. However, I usually like to have in mind something I want to bring back as a souvenir to remind me of my wonderful trip. We are from NY so I don't want to waste time or money buying something that I can get in New York. I like bringing back something unique and of course made in that country. You did offer lots of great suggestions. Thank you.
  • Options
    Ah loves to golf, female and a New Yorker! You will love the unique things in Japan! My trips are frequent to NY. On my next trip I have to replace the cheap cell phone cover that's a 3 D leopard face because it's easy to keep my grandkids looking in the direction of the cell phone. Bought at those stalls near the theatres that my girlfriend calls trashy. The phone got dropped and the cover broke, but that was made in China!
    The possibilities are going to be endless for you. One time the hotel organized someone to go into the forest and cut up some bamboo so my husband could make a Japanese 'Deer Scarer' for by our Japanese inspired pond to scare the heron who was eating our Japanese Koi in our English home ( yes got the Japanese bug bad!) it worked great but kept us awake at night, could do with it here in the U.S. To save our plants. So anyways, see if those helpful concierges can come up with some unique suggestions.
  • Options
    That is so funny that you mentioned the stalls. We were meeting friends for dinner in the Theater District last night and then seeing a show. We got to Manhattan a little early (never know what the traffic situation will be) and passed those stalls so to kill some time we decided to look around those stalls. We never even knew they existed until yesterday.
  • Options
    Ok, then do you know about the secret Japanese restaurant in NY where you have to know someone who knows someone to get the phone number?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Never heard of it but just looked it up. Is it called Bohemian?
  • Options
    Yes! Went there about three times but not for ages now!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file