5 September 2015 Tour

Hello - is anyone going on the 5 September 2015 tour to Zambia, Botswana and South Africa? Would like to connect. Also anyone who has been on the tour any tips for packing? Thank you!

Comments

• Hi, Just got back from this tour and had a grand time! I travelled solo but always felt, a part of. My clothing was almost perfect, which included 3 shorts, 3 pants, a buff, hat, gloves, jacket and about 10 shirts. It was quite cold in June/July but the days warm up very nicely. There is laundry service throughout, except you have to pay at the One and Only, which is fabulous!

I can totally see myself living beachside in Cape Town, as it is so clean and beautiful. You will have a great time and don't stress over the packing, as most anything goes.
  • Hi! Thank you for your response. If you live in Carlsbad CA I also live in San Diego! What did you do about money for each of the countries? Any suggestions for something to do the day before the tour starts? Thank you!
  • Wow, small world....I used USD everywhere except in Cape Town, where they prefer the Rand. You can change $ at the hotel or any ATM. I am just going through my pics and you can look at some of them on Facebook, if you want. My name is Susan Babcock.

You will have a fabulous time! I went to Chiawa, on the Lower Zambezi for 4 days prior to the trip and then flew into Livingstone two days before the trip began. You can go to the falls but the tour does the falls too. What I did was hire a driver for a few hours and had him take me around the craft market and sightseeing. I got along so well with the driver that he took me to some local places that night. I don't drink but had dinner at the Cafe Zambezi, which is real cute. You could hire him from the concierge at the hotel, if you wanted. His name is Stewart and I can't remember who he works for but the concierge should know him. To be honest, I didn't think there was much to do but shop in the area around the hotel, which is lovely to just hang out in.

Let me know if you have any questions about the trip. You will be tired after it is over, as it is go, go, go.

• Thanks Sue for being so helpful! Did you have any problem with luggage in Jo'burg ? How was the process of getting your visa in Zambia? Im looking for local watercolors - happen to see any in market in Livingstone or elsewhere?

Sorry Im not on Facebook.

Am sure we will have lots of questions -we are experienced Tauck travelers but nice to know the details from a fellow traveler's perspective!
  • I had zero luggage problems, this time. Last year my luggage was ransacked, even with a TSA lock on it but that was In Kenya. I have since researched how easy it was to do, so I got a luggage strap this year. Since you live in S.D. You are welcome to use mine, as I am in SD lots!

Visa is simple to obtain. We had no line but I understand that based on inbound flts., that you could have a line. I got a double entry visa, as I wanted to go see the falls on the Zimbabwe side but I never ended up using it, so I just threw away $40-50.

I believe that they had water colors in the market that Stewart took me to but if not, he will know where to find them. Actually, I am sure most any driver can help find them but Stewart is just very personable and I trusted him. He also helped me get my phone fixed and knew right where to go....no, he didn't get commission, as they didn't charge me enough to cover a commission. I could be naive though. Another suggestion is to take the shuttle to the sister property but I can't remember the name. It is the old Zambezi Sun, I think. You can walk too. They have lots of shopping at the Falls, although I had done all of my Zambezi shopping by then, so didn't buy anything else. The shops looked fine and of course, the street vendors. If you don't know how to negotiate prices, go to Tijuana before your trip and practice...just kidding but the same concept. Start negotiating at half price and they still make a nice profit. They are after all in business to make money and I was happy with my prices.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions, as I love talking about the trip.
  • Susan any chance you want to meet for lunch and share your stories and pictures? I think it would be interesting if you are willing! My email is medlawlynn@cox.net.
    Lynn (Lady Lawyer)
  • Hello! My husband and I are booked for the Zambia, Botswana, and South Africa tour beginning on August 29. We have read on a U.S. Government website (http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/English/country/Zambia.html) that "when traveling with prescription medications, US citizens should likewise carry a doctor's prescription and ensure that the medication is in its original bottle." We of course always travel with our medications in their original bottle but have never traveled with a doctor's prescription nor heard of this. My question is, did you do this when you entered Zambia? Thanks so much for your help!
  • edited August 2015
    Hi, there is a recent thread titled Prescriptions somewhere on the forum, I think the general discussion one. Apparently it is advised. When I asked my family Dr for a script years ago for this kind of purpose, he had never ever done one for anyone. For the people who had discussion including me, the majority do not carry drugs in original bottles. I have in the past but these days I carry them in lockable weekly pill cases and carry a 'script' from my most recent doctor visit which lists all the drugs I take. I then carry a description of each pill with me. When I researched further, it seems that the main problems are if people are carrying more than say a months worth of drugs or they are narcotic type, including those for say Parkinson's and Epilepsy, anything affecting the central nervous system. I also thought of the idea of taking a photo of each pill bottle clearly showing the name and generic of drug, pharmacy and dr who prescribed. I took a pill out of each bottle and placed it beside the bottle and took the picture with that in view. I then copied the photos and sent them in an email to myself and put it in a separate file so it could be easily found if anyone wants to challenge my drugs. Unlikely on what I take though I would be a mess without my synthroid and Bp drugs selection. The script would be helpful if you require drug replacement in an emergency situation, any dr who sees what you are taking would be able to give you a suitable substitute if a particular drug has not been approved in that country or has a different name, you would be surprised how many drugs the U.S. Approves that other countries do not.
    No one had ever had any problems with their drugs going through security. But earlier in the year discussions about this going to Australia occurred and a couple of people reported having their supplements taken from them, but Australia is very strict. So finally it is up to you to decide what you do. I do not think there will be a problem going to your doctors office and asking for the receptionist to get hold of a script for everything, I don't think you necessarily have to see the Dr to do this. I would be highly surprised if the dr wants to charge you since most scripts are on computer these days. Or do what I do and take the computer print out from your latest dr appointment that lists everything you take and is given you as a summary of visit.
    We will be going on this tour in a year's time, do let the forum know if you hear of any difficulties from your tour group.
  • British offered good suggestions but I am way too lazy to make that kind of effort. I just got back from this trip and had no difficulty with my medications. I took them in one of those packs that holds a weeks worth. Since I was gone for about 4 weeks, I just put 4 days worth of pills in each daily slot, giving me 4 weeks of medication. Obviously, if you take a lot of pills, this wouldn't be practical. I ended up putting 12 pills in for each day. I carried the packet of pills in my backpack and just put the backpack on the belt to go through security. Not a word was said, except for my hairspray......my hairspray got through 3 security check points but an agent had an issue with it in Lusaka and took it.

Bottom line is that no one questioned any of my medications. You will have a wonderful time on this trip and there are lots of Tauck Surprises in store for you. Prior to going on the trip, I was not keen on going to Cape Town at all, but I ended up falling in love with it. I can see myself living ocean front in Camps Bay!

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions about the trio.
  • Thanks so much British and Carlsbadsue for answering my question! We can't wait to go!
  • Just as a follow up from someone like me who has spent quite a few years of their life taking a history from patients who do not know the names of the drugs they take or what they are taking them for, please be sure that you do know all these questions, the doses, the generic names and so on if you decide not to take a script or original bottles with you. You cannot expect most doctors to look at the color and shape of a pill and anything written on it to guess what it might be and valuable time could be lost in your treatment. This is for your own benefit if an emergency should occur rather than anything that might happen at Customs and border controls. Even myself these days, my Bp drugs have been switched around so much, even i get confused. So if indeed any meds you are taking are critical to your optimum health, be sure you know what's what.