Options

Attire in France in early October

My husband and I are taking the "French Waterways" river cruise beginning September 29 and ending October 8. I would appreciate some guidelines on clothes to bring. It appears that the weather might be cooler and possibly with a little rain, so we already know layers would be appropriate. Any guidance from someone who has taken this particular cruise would be helpful....what did you NOT bring that you wished you had? What did you bring that you never used? Also just trying to get a feel for how "dressy" we might need to be for any evening events. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    We took the same cruise last summer in early July expecting hot sunny weather. Thankfully we'd packed thin water proof jackets as we needed them in both Paris and on the cruise itself. You might want something heavier for Sep/Oct. Something with lots of inside zipper pockets would be great for sight seeing - alternative to a purse.

You've got it right about layers. I packed capris/tops/sandals and several dressy outfits. Should have cut back on the dressy stuff. You really only need it for the restaurant in Paris (dress/skirt or dressy pants and top), the welcome and farewell dinners on board. No one cares if you wear the same outfit for all 3. Most people didn't dress up for dinner the rest of the time but weren't overly casual. Typical for women was capris/tops/sandals and for the men cotton slacks and a collared shirt - mostly knit golf shirts. Bring a wrap, sweater or jacket for evenings on the top deck. It's chilly up there and you don't want to miss the action.

Aside from less dressy clothes, I didn't need a hair dryer or my travel clothes line for hand washing small items (there was one built into the shower stall). Also don't take a curling iron as they don't want you to use them on the ship.

I also overpacked on shoes. Next cruise I'm taking 1 pair of dressy shoes to go with all evening outfits, 1 pair of lace up walking shoes with good cushioning and traction, and 1-2 pairs of low heeled slip-ons.

One item I'm adding for my next cruise is an adapter for my noise canceling headphones for the plane ride. The airline uses 2 prong and most headphones are 1.

We had a fabulous time on our cruise and came home to book the next one. Let my know if I can help with any other questions.

Bon Voyage