May 2016

We are looking at the May 21, 2016 trip. For anyone who has already been on it, what is the weather like and how was it compared to the fall trips, if you know.

Comments

• I just returned from this trip last week and the weather was great! It was about 40 degrees in the morning but warmed up nicely to the high 70's during the day. As long as you are prepared, it is lovely. The trip,is fabulous and I would do the same trip again. I went to K & T last year but preferred this trip. I can totally see myself living beach front in Cape Town, which surprised me. Prior to the trip, Cape Town was not of great interest to me but it most certainly is now.

I understand that the conditions will depend on the rain they receive and some camps don't open until mid April, due to the water and access to the camps. I stayed at Chiawa on the lower Zambezi prior to the tour and they close during the rainy season. If I were you, I would just look at the weather page to get a general idea of what is the norm for the areas in May.

You will have a wonderful time, rain or shine.
  • Thank you. It is so hard to decide! I've been told that the best time to go is the fall (September), but the spring sounds so good. We're looking at May 21 or September 10. Just not sure which has the best weather or the best animal viewing.
  • Hey Marvin, decide fast, these tours sell out quickly!
  • If it were me, I would go in early Sept, as it shouldn't be too hot yet and the reports say that the animal viewing is excellent, at that time. The animals are more spread out, due to avail of water in May but that, of course, is YOUR decision. Maybe call Tauck and see if they could help or put you in touch with one of the tour directors for that region.
  • I am not sure that Tauck would give you access to a tour guide in the area. I have had some of the tour guides share their personalemail with me, but that was their choice.
    Whatever time of year you go is sure to give you ample opportunity to see plenty of wildlife. We are going next September and we booked a couple of months ago, at that time all dates were wide open, but many sold out now or limited places. If you do lots of research and reading you will see pros and cons for lots of different reasons.