Fatehpur Sikri

Is there an opportunity to visit Fatehpur Sikri while at Agra?

Comments

• Hi, we were on the Spotlight of India tour 18 months ago, which is essentially the same tour as the longer Portrait tour but stops at Udaipur and then you continue on. There was a free afternoon with an option to take a paid for guided tour of Fatehpur S. Only my husband and I and another single gentleman took them up on the offer, so Tauck provided a limo and an excellent guide for us, I'm thinking it was about an hour away. We drove through bustling streets, it was very exciting. A little nearer, we got out of the limo and the guide took us in tuk tuks so we could get an experience of those for the remainder of the journey. The site was wonderful, I would hate to have missed it. The tour guide was quite the photographer and made sure he took lots of photos of my husband and I with optimum views of the sites behind us, in fact, I used one of his photos for the cover of my photo album. The three of us were so glad that we went and felt the other members of the tour really missed out while they decided to take a nap or something like that--- why, because No one but us thought about the effects of jet lag, so they were very tired before the tour started, we arrived several days early and were pretty much on Indian time at the start of the tour. In fact, that is always my top tip, arrive several days early to get the most out of the tour that you have paid big bucks for. My suggestion for you is wait until you receive your final documents and booklet about the tour in more detail, usually about a month before your trip date, If it does not mention the option there, call Tauck to see if they can tell you if there is free time that you can make plans to go yourself, the front desk at the hotel will be able to help there. Good luck!
  • Thank you, British, for your kind, prompt, and very helpful reply. We too will be arriving early in Delhi, and I thought one afternoon to arrange our own excursion to see the Jama Masjid and Purana Qila, and on the final free afternoon in Delhi to visit the Nizamuddin Dargah and Lodhi Gardens, both of which are quite close to the hotel. Did you happen to do any of these during your visit? We too are taking the Spotlight tour (in October), but Portrait seems to be the more active forum. Thanks again for your advice.
  • Hi, we did not visit either of those locations. ( think maybe we went or the gardens on the tour, my book is not handy to check.) We elected to stay in the hotel compound and do things that the hotel had to offer. We took a great cooking class with one of the chefs, took a spa treament,swam in the lovely indoor pool., that kind of thing. We would normally plan to do more outdoor and adventurous things on our own but elected to recover from the journey rather than risk stepping out on our own. We are very familiar with Indian people because the town we are originally from in England has a very large Indian population and the nearby city has a whole Indian area where you can shop and eat and we both had Indian colleagues and neighbors. Our flight from the U.S. Landed very late at night and I think we got to our room around 3am. We slept until we awoke naturally. We then arranged our activities, some of these we had read about on the forum. We felt Tauck covered a good amount of the sites in Delhi.
    I do not know how experienced travelers you are, we like to think we are quite Savvy, for instance, at that time we had been to Africa twice. Nothing really prepares you for India, so unless you are experienced be sure to arrange to go anywhere with a guide or driver that the hotel will provide for you. Once you leave the heavily guarded hotel compound you will enter the real India, be surrounded by beggars who are persistent--- don't give them anything or more peopl will surround you. The traffic is also unbelievable, for example you will see drivers driving the opposite way to other traffic, our bus driver did that on a divided highway, going back along a busy divided highway about a mile to our rest stop where we had left behind a solo traveller. All the traffic was heading directly towards us!!At another time, the limo driver I mention in my previous post drove along the crowded sidewalk when the road was too congested. Another thing I would suggest is to do your site seeing in the morning not the afternoons because you are going at a very hot time of year and it will be much cooler in the mornings, unless you are good in 90 degree weather, we just aren't good walking around in 90 degree weather for too long and never have been, must be because we were born in England.
    I am thinking you could post on both the India forums and title the post with these 3 locations to see if any past travelers are reading and the places jog their memories like Fatehpur Sikri did mine. Your trip to India will change your thoughts on life and if you are like us, it will take about a month to process mentally when you return, but you will be so glad you went to India.
  • Hi,

You can visit Fatehpur Sikri in same day with Taj Mahal, Its a beautiful palace to visit and give unique experience of forts and local culture.
  • Sorry, British, but you att the one who is wrong. We just returned from the Portrait trip last week. We did indeed go on the same day as we visited the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort. Tauck does not include this site ( such a shame since we thought it was fabulous and not to be missed), but our TD did help arrange it with the local guides. Five of us went in a brand new van type mini bus leaving the Oberai at 2:15 and returning at 6:30. One of our guides accompanied us. With tip for guide and driver, it cost each of us $42.00 (US).
  • Hi Joyce, I deleted my reply just after I posted it, I was thinking Delhi to Fatipur S. Yes it is fabulous, we could not believe most of our group did not go even though it was included in the tour. I assume Tauck took it out because the majority was not interested.
  • Fatehpur Sikri..is nice place to visit.
    You can travel this place with Agra in same day tour with explore the Tajamahal, fatehpur sikri at one day.
    Many tour packages offer same day tour package to explore one exotic and popular places in one day.

Source: Indian Dream Travel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file