Activities at Ashford Castle

Is the falconry activity at Ashford castle included in the tour (already paid for) or do WE have to pay for it if we want to do it?

Comments

• Not included.
  • pammy59 wrote:
    Is the falconry activity at Ashford castle included in the tour (already paid for) or do WE have to pay for it if we want to do it?

Hello again pammy59

The falconry activity at Ashford Castle,is not included. It is run by the Irish School of Falconry (I have their souvenir hat) which is on the grounds of the Castle but not a part of it. This was great fun and well worth whatever it cost. They take you out into the nearby woods and you actuall have the opportunity to wear the falconer's glove and have the bird take off and land on your arm. Makes a great picture. It was an opportunity that I would recommend highly. One tip: the falconers running the excursion will let a couple of people from the group carry the falcons out to the flying area and a couple more will carry them back so if you want to extend your time with the birds stay close to the falconers and you may get that chance.

Greg Jones
  • pammy59 wrote:

I agree with gregoryjones1022. Although it is an extra cost, it is well worth it. I did it last year, almost a year to the day, debating until the end whether or not to do it. I am so glad I did. One of the highlights of the tour for me. It was interesting to learn about the birds at the school and if you are a John Wayne fan, you also get to see the Quiet Man House, at least the outside.
  • Thanks for your quick replies! I am definitely going to do it. I am a retired environmental science teacher and love learning about birds of prey, especially falcons!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file