Options

Travel Questions for Kenya & Tanzania

My husband and I are booked on the Kenya & Tanzania safari next August. We have started to look at possible flights and are getting somewhat overwhelmed! With arriving in Arusha and departing from Nairobi, do you schedule a round-trip to Nairobi with a one-way to Arusha? What are good routes (we traveling from California)? Do you recommend a stopover in Europe since it is such a long flight? What would you recommnd and what would you avoid? Thanks very much--we are looking forward to the trip!

Comments

• Options
    I agree that the travel can seem a bit dauntung..we went through a private travel agent and stopped in Zurich both ways. (we are from Boston) Many people stopped in Amsterdam, Paris, etc..
    I understand that Tauck will also make the flight reservations etc. For myself, I would look into that option as it is a BIG trip and you want to do it right...
  • Options
    We flew from Minneapolis on Delta/KLM toAmsterdam, then to Arusha. (We arrived one day early to have time to recover from the flights. Our flight arrived at night so arrival was late at the lodge. Was nice to have a day to relax and enjoy the beautiful grounds. Would not have liked to take off first thing the next morning on our drive!) A woman from SanFran on our trip also was on the KLM portion. I know she did stay in Amsterdam for one night on the way home. It was 2 long flights for us, even more so if home is in CA. A lady from Utah spent two days in Amsterdam on the way over, both to visit Amsterdam & to adjust her body clock.

I think your best best is to find whichever route allows the least layovers (in our case, 2 flights, one layover). Less worry about making connections & losing luggage. It is a long trip over there, but VERY definitely worth it. Have fun. I'd do it again in a minute! (But so many places to see & so little time!)

Peg B
  • Options
    We used American miles so had to go to London and then Nairobi. We spent the night in Nairobi and booked a one way ticket to Arusha the next morning. Tauck generally uses the KLM Amsterdam connection which we would have done if we weren't using miles. We generally bite the bullet and do the whole trip at once and arrive a couple of days over to rest up. But if Amsterdam (or other European city) interests you for a stop over, that's fine too. We just prefer to get where we're going as quickly as possible. Going into Arusha and out of Nairobi is not a problem. If you're doing searches on the internet, just check "multiple desintations." It usually doesn't cost more . . . and is sometimes even less expensive!
  • Options
    We are also going to Tanzania and Kenya this august. Our safari starts on 8/26 and we are also from CA
    We are flying into London from LAX and then to Nairobi and then to Arusha on Virgin America. We are
    leaving 8/22 and arriving on 8/24 so we have a full day to recoup before we take off for the safari.
    We are so excited- this has been a dream for a long time.
  • Options
    I'm a single traveller booked on the Kenya & Tanzania: A Classic Safari leaving Arusha on Sept. 26. I would love to make contact with anyone else going on that safari. Getting very excited!
  • Options
    I am flying from California for the 8/18 Tanzania and Kenya trip.

I am flying KML nonstop thru Amsterdam both ways. The flight to Amsterdam is about 10 hours and and the flight to Africa from there is about 8 hours. To stop in Amsterdam, it would mean getting our luggage, going to a hotel, unpacking some things we need for the night, travel back to the airport, checking in, and boarding a flight to Africa.

Its a lot to do in one trip but we would rather get to our destination as soon as possible and spend an extra day in Africa than just spend the night in Amsterdam.
  • Options
    Mary Jo adn Bob from St. Louis are on the Classic Sept 26. Arriving in ArushaSept 25. Who else is going? Should be great fun!
This discussion has been closed.