Options

Just returned from Essence of Japan tour (Sept-Oct)

My wife and I just returned from the tour 3 days ago. If you're considering booking the tour, or already booked, I have one question: May we go with you? It is wonderful! Such friendly, gracious, and endearing people you won't find anywhere else. We recommend the tour without reservation (sorry for the pun). We had Kit as our tour director - awesome in taking care of us - and the two local guides "Coco" and "Mickey" were equally great and very knowledgeable.

Here are a few thoughts for anyone looking for guidance on an upcoming tour:

* Money: Take more currency than you might otherwise take on a tour. Japan is currently more cash-and-carry than we are accustomed to. (It'll likely change for the Olympics.) Credit cards were accepted at the upscale hotels and restaurants, but smaller restaurants, markets, etc. still don't accept credit cards. There are ATMs at larger post offices and 7-Eleven stores which are everywhere (reportedly 18,000 in Japan). We didn't use one, but were told they worked fine.

* Dress: As others have noted, we didn't see any ladies over 30 wearing shorts, but men of all ages did (including me). Our tour director wore shorts every day, and it was fine. You'll see about anything in clothing, so don't worry - wear comfortable clothes, especially shoes. I recommend slip-ons for the daily excursions, because you'll be taking them off often for shrines, private homes, etc. I had read about not wearing black and other restrictions, but we didn't experience anything in that regard at all. It's all about comfort and common sense. In addition to the first night's dinner and the Farewell dinner, there are 2 or 3 other nights where being more dressed up is appropriate. About half the men in our group took jackets. They got to use them several times. Those of us who didn't take jackets were fine with dressier long sleeve shirts and we were fine. (Again, you'll see everything, so don't stress.) We didn't need bathing suits. We toured from September 20 to October 4 and had great warm weather, so I took too many pairs of long pants/jeans for the day excursions.

* Gadgets: All the hotels had provided internet access, although it did get a little slow at times. And the electric plugs (100v) work fine with our devices. No adapters and certainly no converters are needed.

* Water: bottled water was generally available on the bus and in the hotel rooms. However, the tap water is safe to drink and for brushing teeth. No worries there.

* Food: In most cases, both Japanese and Western food was available for meals. However, there are a couple/few which are focused on presenting Japanese cuisine and we grew to really enjoy it. It was really good. So forget the apprehension, pick up the chopsticks, and enjoy! You won't come home hungry....

I know I've only touched the surface, but these are the notes I made along the way. I hope this helps a little. I'll try to check back if there are other questions that I haven't answered.

This was our 20th tour with Tauck, and it now ranks right up there with our previous favorites. If you're contemplating booking it, DO IT!

Comments

• Options
    Doing my own trip to Japan in a few weeks and found your post really helpful. Going to focus on Kyoto, Hiroshima and Tokyo and appreciate your post. Will definitely bring cash as you suggest.
  • Options
    Allan, thanks for all the great information. We leave in two weeks for our Essence of Japan Tour. I am starting to get excited. Are there any do not miss places or any restaurants you would recommend that are not included on the tour? Any shopping suggestions? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I find Japan is one of the very best places to buy decent quality souvenirs, be sure to leave plenty of room in your suitcase. I have everything from an antique china 'pillow' and bento box to a kimono wedding gown to exquisite china, kokeshi dolls, fans, silk items, block prints, paper, oh my goodness, it's like little Japan in our house! It's a long time since I was there, I need to go back!
  • Options
    Allan, thank you! For the cash and carry items, what denominations are easy for the vendors to make change?
  • Options
    I'll see if I can answer the questions since my post.

Currency. When we exchanged dollars for yen prior to the trip, as I remember we took 5000, 2000, and 1000 notes. Here's the easy way to keep it straight: Take the yen amount, drop the last 2 digits, then reduce the amount by roughly 20%. For example, a 5000 note, dropping the two 0s and reducing 20% would be about $40.

Shopping: I can't really offer any specific shopping advice, except the old standby rule "If you see it and really want it, buy it now because you may not see it again later in the trip." There were ample shopping opportunities and some really beautiful Japanese items for sale, so enjoy! We enjoyed looking as much as buying. You'll find everything from small cheap trinkets to $20,000 kimonos.

Restaurants: There were several "opportunities" to eat on your own, and a couple of times we just ate in the hotel's restaurant. However we had received a couple of recommendations from our good travel buddies Linda & Nancy for Kyoto which I'll copy/paste below. We ate at the first one a couple of times and it was good food (with an amazing bakery), reasonably priced. Some might argue that the Irish Pub isn't really an Irish pub, but we found it fun there with good fish & chips. Here's our friends' quote:

"In Kyoto you have a few meals on your own. If you get tired of Japanese food we have a couple of alternatives to suggest. One is Cafe Boulangerie. If you go out the front door of the hotel, turn left and walk about 2 to 3 blocks on Kawaramachi-dori and turn left on Sanjo-dori. It is connected to the Royal Park hotel building but has its own outside entrance. It is kind of like an Au Beau Pain. They had soup in bread bowls, open faced sandwiches with side salads etc. and a great bakery. It was very reasonably priced. One other night we ate at the Irish pub which is out the back door at the corner of the hotel.
  • Options
    Thank you again Alan!
  • Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to post. We are going on this tour in May and found the information very useful.
  • Options
    Please let me add my thanks for this very informative post. My husband and I are booked on the June 5 tour and really appreciate such detailed information.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file