Options

Great Barrier Reef

Looking forward to our visit to the Great Barrier Reef, but not quite sure what's involved. It appears that scuba diving is an option ($$) and snorkeling is included if you want to do that. Can anyone explain to me what happens on the visit to the Great Barrier Reef?

Does everyone go out on the catamaran? Do the folks going snorkeling and scuba diving go out on this catamaran? or some other boat?

Does the usual catamaran have a glass bottom? Do most folks go snorkeling or scuba diving - or just a few?

Clothes - obviously a swim suit would be helpful. Does one show up at the boat already swim-suited? Any other clothing recommended? How about water shoes? Are towels provided.

Would love to hear from folks who have gone out to the reef on their experience. Anything you didn't do or bring that you wish you did?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    When we went with Tauck, we visited the Agincourt Reef with the Quicksilver company. Punch that into the Internet and you will find the website to give you an idea of what to expect. You go out to the 'platform' on a regular boat, pull up alongside and walk over. The platform is huge, there is a food and drink area, changing rooms, equipment to loan, a mini sub, towels, everything, no worries, it's great!
    Can't remember whether we went in swimsuits, but your tour guide will brief you so you will know what to do.
    You will not need water shoes, the reef is in the middle of the ocean and the last thing you should be doing is touching the reef with your feet, or anything, that is what damages it. Enjoy your trip!
  • Options
    Wallaroo wrote:
    Looking forward to our visit to the Great Barrier Reef, but not quite sure what's involved. It appears that scuba diving is an option ($$) and snorkeling is included if you want to do that. Can anyone explain to me what happens on the visit to the Great Barrier Reef?

Does everyone go out on the catamaran? Do the folks going snorkeling and scuba diving go out on this catamaran? or some other boat?

Does the usual catamaran have a glass bottom? Do most folks go snorkeling or scuba diving - or just a few?

Clothes - obviously a swim suit would be helpful. Does one show up at the boat already swim-suited? Any other clothing recommended? How about water shoes? Are towels provided.

Would love to hear from folks who have gone out to the reef on their experience. Anything you didn't do or bring that you wish you did?

Thanks!

Snorkeling is included there are many things to do that cost extra. I took a Snorkeling tour and that was worth it to have things brought to surface and explained. Some went on helicopter trip and said it was worth it.

I believe I had suit on to go and took stuff to change into before we left. There are curtained changing rooms to use.

If I remember some that did not snorkel went on the glass bottom boat or it was a sub of some sort.

Food is included.
  • Options
    Thanks to British and Crackers for their replies. For others who may be interested, here's a link to Quicksilver webpage regarding their Agincourt reef tour: http://www.quicksilver-cruises.com/wavepiercer.htm

Many thanks to British for leading me to that. Very informative.

To follow up, did most folks go on the glass-bottom submarine boat - or snorkeling?
  • Options
    Some did both. One lady not up to snorkeling went on boat several times and enjoyed it. At first there was a very strong current on the snorkeling, when I went in after lunch was not as bad on the tour I signed up for.
  • Options
    There is plenty of time to partake of everything!
  • Options
    We did this excursion with Tauck this past September. The website mentioned above should answer most of your questions. (http://www.quicksilver-cruises.com/). We wore our bathing suits under our clothes and took with us what we needed to change after swimming. There are fresh water spray hoses to rinse off and changing rooms. Our director provided us with coupons to get the lycra "onsies" and we took advantage of that when we went snorkeling. Life jackets are available and I wore one. I chose to stay in the beginner area, hold on to the rope, and just float over a portion of the reef. The platform is very large and there are places to just sit and watch if you don't want to go in the water. You could also go on the semi-submersible (several times if you wanted) if you didn't want to get wet. The boat remains tied up to the platform and is available for restroom facilities or just to sit. You are at the platform about 3 - 3 /12 hours so there is time to do a lot. There are postcards available for sale and we sent a couple including one to ourselves. The postmark says "Posted on Australia's Great Barrier Reef." If you are at all prone to seasickness, I would recommend taking some sort of medication before boarding the catamaran. It takes about 90 minutes to get out to the reef. They do offer free ginger pills on the ship and that may be sufficient. It was windy the day we went, and I was glad I had taken something before boarding. Once you get to the platform, it is very stable.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for all the info! going on the Jan 4 trip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file