Options

America's Canyonlands hiking if one has a fear of heights

My wife and I are booked to take the Canyonlands tour next September 2016. Recently, we visited the Indian ruins in Mesa Verde and descending some of the cliffs, walking very close to "open" cliff edges, as well as climbing ladders to get out of the valley, were a bit unnerving as both of us have a mild fear of heights.

Would anyone who has taken this trip care to comment on the hikes relating to being uncomfortable with heights?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I have done the Canyonlands tour and been to Mesa Verde. Unless you choose to walk close to the edge or hike down at Bryce or hike down into the Grand Canyon, you have nothing to worry about regarding heights. I remember the ladders at Cliff Palacae in Mesa Verde and remember the "fear" it gave me. This tour is a great one and the views are magnificent.
  • Options
    You need not worry about heights. The hiking in the parks is strictly on your own. Some people didn't hike at all just sat and saw the beauty of the park. I loved Zion for there was a lot of flatland area just to walk and enjoy the beauty of the beautiful park. On this tour you are free to do whatever you are able when it comes to exploring the parks. This is a wonderful casual trip. Enjoy!!
  • Options
    Thank you both for the information and the encouragement. We are very much looking forward to this tour and can now rest assured it will be a wonderful trip. Thanks again.
  • Options
    I also have a fear of heights and ledges. But I'll take an anti anxiety pill and just do it..Same thing I did to get on the london eye.,
    I just won;t go near the ledges...
    Going on the may 13th trip. Anyone on that trip??
  • Options
    Hi Anne, we are also going on 5/15 trip....arriving in Phoenix on the 14th. Look forward to meeting you. This will be our 4th TAUCK trip. First in USA. Really excited and ditto for height nerves, Estelle and Allen

• Options
    edited January 2017
    While we have taken 14 Tauck trips, none have been in the USA. However, we have done a southwestern trip on our own including many of the sites on this particular tour. As an aside, we loved Mesa Verde and did the Petroglyph Trail hike which included every type of terrain one could possible imagine. I am only writing to recommend the best guide book you could possibly get for a trip through the southwest (and other parks if you are enticed by what you will see on this tour). We use Fodor's The National Parks of the West and have found it to be the best guide for all of the western National Parks. We used it to map our hikes as it gives a complete write-up on hikes in the parks and is very accurate about the skill level of each hike. For instance, at Bryce they have you hike down Navajo Trail and then cross the amphitheater and then hike up Queen's Garden Trail..a MUCH easier ascent. and one that gives a wonderful glimpse into the entire Bryce experience...rather than hike back up Navajo Trail (a killer walk!)! I am not eager to hike on edges of cliffs (avoid Angel's Landing in Zion at all costs), but there are many wonderful trails in these parks that are so much fun and such an adventure!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file