Australia/New Zealand March 14, 2016

We are Sue & Dick Bagg traveling on the Grand Australia & New Zealand departing March 14,2016. We will be arriving in Melbourne on March 4 from Los Angeles, taking a few days to acclimate, then renting a car on 3/6 for a week to visit the 12 Apostles, Great Ocean Road & then the Dandenong Ranges. After the Tauck tour will be staying in Auckland till 4/5, then flying back to Sydney for 3 nights, then taking a Holland America Cruise to Vancouver, BC. We are looking forward to meeting everyone on this Tauck tour & would be happy to have anyone join us on our plans before & after the tour. Besides this forum, we can be reached at smbagg@aol.com. Please introduce yourself, if you will be traveling on this tour.

Comments

• Hi Sue & Dick,

If you need any help with your pre tour trip from Melbourne, I'd be happy to help. I'm a Melbourne local.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Thanks Jan, We will let you know if we have any questions. - Sue
  • My wife and I will also be arriving in Melbourne on March 4th. We plan to hop over to Tasmania on the 5th (maybe the 6th depending on what shape we are in) and return for the tour on the 10th. I do believe that this tour starts on the 10th, not the 14th. We are from NC and both retired but still young. We plan on a week in Fiji after the tour. Jan we would love to correspond about both Tasmania and Fiji if you have time. Anyone else on this tour feel free to contact us at don.tauck16 at doubledsystems.com.
    Don & Jayne
  • Hi Don and Jayne,

I haven't been to Fiji in decades ... so I'd be no help there. Sorry. But I'm pretty good on Tassie. I have a very soft spot for our island state. It is the most gorgeous place and an excellent idea to spend some quality time. Happy to help if I can. Fire away!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Don & Jayne,
    I was on the Aus/NZ tour last March. I had always wanted to go to Tasmania and took advantage of the trip to do just that.
    I arrived into Australia with enough time to spend 3 days there.
    I landed in Melbourne and the connecting flight to Hobart was seamless. On the Tasmanian side, there is a shuttle bus you can take to the hotels in town. I took advantage of the Grayline tours to make the most of the 3 days. As Jan mentioned it is a beautiful and laid back place.
    On my return to Melbourne, Tauck had driver waiting at the airport to take me to the hotel and then began my Australia/NY holiday.
    Have a wonderful trip.
  • jdurkin wrote:
    Hi Don and Jayne,

I haven't been to Fiji in decades ... so I'd be no help there. Sorry. But I'm pretty good on Tassie. I have a very soft spot for our island state. It is the most gorgeous place and an excellent idea to spend some quality time. Happy to help if I can. Fire away!

Cheers,

Jan

RE: Tasmania
    I'm not sure where to fly into to see the best sites. Will I have any trouble get plane & hotel reservations at the last minute - like night before since we are not sure how much travel will impact us and there is always the possible lost baggage issue. While we like Tauck we don't have a problem with less upscale accommodations and normally will stay at anything that looks interesting and has a rating of 7.2 or better on Booking.com. We also stay at BnBs fairly regularly as well. What are the don't miss sights.

Will it be best to rent a car to get around or are there some good tours that will cover the sights.

It may be best to move this out of the forum. Not somewhere I hang out much and normally only check it a time or two before a trip. don.tauck16 at doubledsystems.com (broken up to discourage spammers)

Thanks for the help,
    Don
  • Hi Don & Jayne, Our trip definitely starts on March 14, so I'm not sure if we are on the same tour. But if so, we look forward to meeting you. We will be staying at the Langham on 3/4&5. Flying in from LAX, maybe we'll be on the same plane. Safe travels - Sue & Dick
  • My husband and I will be on the tour that begins in Melbourne on March 14. We live in NC and have friends from PA who will also be on the trip. We are flying to LA for an overnight and arriving in Melbourne a day early, on the 13th. We're excited about the trip and about meeting our travel companions!
  • We are also going on the 3/14 trip and are from NC as well. Chapel Hill to be exact. We are arriving in Melbourne on 3/12. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
  • We are leaving for Melbourne today! Very excited. We will be at the Langham 3/4 to 3/6, then back on the 13th. Look forward to meeting everyone - Sue & Dick
  • travelbagg wrote:
    We are Sue & Dick Bagg traveling on the Grand Australia & New Zealand departing March 14,2016. We will be arriving in Melbourne on March 4 from Los Angeles, taking a few days to acclimate, then renting a car on 3/6 for a week to visit the 12 Apostles, Great Ocean Road & then the Dandenong Ranges. After the Tauck tour will be staying in Auckland till 4/5, then flying back to Sydney for 3 nights, then taking a Holland America Cruise to Vancouver, BC. We are looking forward to meeting everyone on this Tauck tour & would be happy to have anyone join us on our plans before & after the tour. Besides this forum, we can be reached at smbagg@aol.com. Please introduce yourself, if you will be traveling on this tour.

Hi Sue and Dick: I will be on the tour departing starting March 16, 2017. Is yours a different tour than mine? I will be arriving 2 days early in Melbourne. Let me know if we are on the same trip. I am departing from Washington, DC. Thanks
  • Hi Sue and Dick: I will be on the tour departing starting March 16, 2017. Is yours a different tour than mine? I will be arriving 2 days early in Melbourne. Let me know if we are on the same trip. I am departing from Washington, DC. Thanks

travelingirl- this thread and all posts are from this past last year- March 2016 trip!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file