Options

Australian $ pricing for 2017

2»

Comments

• Options
    AlanS wrote:
    You might be able to access the US Tauck website by downloading and installing the free Firefox browser. It has a "private browsing" feature that prevents sites from knowing your ip address, location, and anything about you.
    I tried this, Alan, but the only way I can access Tauck on line defaults to Tauck . com . au. I have no idea how ... and I have tried ... to access Tauck . com without leaving the country!

• Options
    jdurkin wrote:
    I tried this, Alan, but the only way I can access Tauck on line defaults to Tauck . com . au. I have no idea how ... and I have tried ... to access Tauck . com without leaving the country!

Were you in the private browsing mode? Firefox doesn't automatically use private browsing. You must click on the mask symbol in the tool bar if you are typing the address or right click on a link and select "Open Link in New Private Window" in the box that pops up. If you are in private browsing you will see a larger purple mask in the upper right.

That being said, the Firefox website does say, "Private Browsing doesn't make you anonymous on the Internet. Your Internet service provider, employer, or the sites themselves can still track what pages you visit."

Evidently your friendly travel provider or ISP is doing more than the news site I visit (for free) that wants to charge me for reading the news.

FYI, I just tried, and I was able to access Tauck's au site (I think) using private browsing only, but I was not completely sure what I was looking at since the tour prices listed were the US prices and listed in USD. The contact number at the top was for a company . . . World, not the Tauck number.

• Options
    Thanks, Alan. I'll try again. I'm not sure what mode I was in ... colour me confused! I've never used Firefox before an it just goes to show how "adjusted" we come to the familiar. I just do things by habit/rote or that brain thing I can't remember the name of. I'll have another go when I have plenty of time to devote to the effort. And I'll print out your post as a cheat sheet!

Cheers,

Jan

PS

It appears that over the past month, as more 2017 trips have been listed, those prices are being quoted in A$ and without the Time on Tauck sticker. 2016 prices remain in US$. The contact info that you quote is the giveaway that you did reach the Australian site.
  • Options
    Okay. I did all that. (It looks like a good browser. I need to devote more time to it, I can see that.) There is no way I can get through to tauck . com Everything defaults through to . com. au. I think the only way I can do it is through one of those cyber blocking thingies that I don't understand. And all to stay a Tauck customer. Weird, huh?

This sort of thing happens a lot to Australians trying to buy online from all sorts of places .... like apple. There is one set of prices for you and an inflated set for us. They do it because ... they can. Ah, imperialism. Mind you, come the revolution we might start looking pretty good to a lot of folks!

Hasta Mañana. I do so like a good ABBA song.
  • Options
    Hi, Jan -

You might want to look at WITOPIA.NET (not dot com) for a VPN. I use it with my laptop for public Wi-Fi. Also, when I travel, it makes my bank think I'm still in California (so they don't ask for new PC credentials). Good Luck!

- Redwood-
  • Options
    Thanks for that tip, Redwood. I'll check it out.

Cheers,

Jan