Options

Essence of Japan tour April 10-24th, 2016

We are excited about our upcoming Tauck tour to Japan.

I have a few questions:

1. are there ATM machines easily seen at Haneda airport? Would prefer to get them there rather than at our local bank or AAA, sounds like we need to bring quite a load of them.......

2. do folks generally buy SIM cards once in Japan/do tour leaders recommend such? or do folks generally buy (expensive data and phone calling) plans from provider (we are Verizon customers). Or, do folks use WhatsApp or Viber for use when not in WIFI for immediate contact with others/tour leader and etc?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2016
    If you go to the Haneda airport website, there are details of where the ATMs and currency exchanges are, plus maps. You will probably find you mainly use credit cards and of course there isn't tipping in Japan, it's kind of insulting to them.
    Phones--no need for SIM cards, international plan is not expensive. We have AT and T and it is usually $30 a month for ample wifi, phone and text. In reality, because of the 13 hour time difference and the restriction on using your phone while with the group, it's difficult to call home when friends and relatives will not be asleep. You can also use FaceTime for free. The tour guide does not always give their cell phone number to you. The hotel front desk will contact their room for you in emergency. They do not provide the room number for security.
  • Options
    Thank you, British!!! Do you have/use WhatsApp, or Viber perchance for supposedly free calling?
    Could I ask you about how much in Yen you think is ample to have? I figure all hotels take credit cards for incidental charges. Sounds like smaller restaurants and shopping in markets is where yen are needed. We are spending a few days on Naoshima and will be taking some ferries; yen there for sure.

Also, did you find NO need for adaptor and converters for electronics charging?

• Options
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2196.html

Look at this website for money tips. I have used Whatsapp once just recently here in the US to call a friend in England, she us s it all the time. I tend to use FaceTime in other countries, but usually not when I am on a Tauck tour.
  • Options
    I still feel the. Best and free way to keep any needed communication with home is to use email, that eliminates trying to figure out what time it is in the US too.
    No need for adapters or converters, everything is the same as the US.
    How much Yen, no idea, are you a spender or not? Japan has the most beautiful things to buy, that's all I can say. I've been to Japan twice, stayed in both real Japanese homes, monasteries and a huge very huge suite of a hotel. My husband traveled there constantly for years, most recently about two years ago and speaks to colleagues in Japan regularly. Japan is amazing, in the top three of my favorites of the countries I have been fortunate enough to visit, I. Would really love to go again but it is not my husband's priority of course. Our home has touches of Japan all over it, everything from a Japanese wedding kimono, pottery, prints and numerous Kokeshi wood dolls which I am sure breed themselves overnight, I have so many, that was my usual gift when he returned home. My husband was there during the big earthquake mid 1990's and I was there when there was quite a strong one, at the top floor of a hotel ,that is an experience. Japan is very safe, just great, I envy your trip,post a review when you get back!
  • Options
    We were on this trip a few months ago and used Viber along with emailing to keep in touch back home. We found that we were often awake at 4am so it was easy to call back home to our children and even used the Viber texting and "Facetime". Both parties must have the Viber app installed on their phone or tablet to use it.

• Options
    Mfkolko, you should read the post made on another thread by "The Not So Accidental Tourist". There is some very helpful information posted on there that may answer a lot of questions you might have about this trip.
  • Options
    Thank you, loves golf1 and British for all your useful info.
    we are very excited about our upcoming journey to beautiful Japan.