Options

Currency

Did anyone buy foreign currency for this trip? Trying to decide if we need to bring some with us. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I posted this earlier and got no responses. Would love any input as to if you brought currency for Zambia, Botswana and South Africa. I'm assuming we will need it for South Africa only, but I'd like to hear from experienced travelers. Thanks so much for your help.
  • Options
    Went to Tanzania w/ Tauck Bridges in 2014 and didn't take currency with us. Tauck takes care of everything, so we used US $ for gratuities, which was welcomed. We used an ATM at some point... but you don't need much cash if you use your credit cards for purchases (tell the company you are traveling before you go).
  • Options
    I'm not anticipating being near any stores in Zambia or Botswana, apart from maybe if they have a shop in the Livingstone hotel, but then I will put any purchases on my room. I've been to Cape Town before but don't think we took or got any Rand. I did buy art and souvenirs there but again used a credit card. I did notice we visit a market for this tour, so might get some Rand just in case. I think this is one of those countries that will be happy to take dollars rather than miss a sale. Hopefully someone who has been recently will respond with more accurate information.
  • Options
    We did this trip in 2014. We didn’t have any need to convert to local currency. There is a small market at the spot where you take a ferry to cross over from Zambia to Botswana, and a big craft market in Cape Town. The vendors accepted US dollars. The purchase amounts were small so even if you didn’t get the best exchange rate it didn’t matter. The stores in Cape Town accepted credit cards.

This is a great trip and quite an experience!!!