Options

Rain poncho and collapsible umbrella - Are both of these really necessary?

The packing list for this tour includes "Rain poncho and collapsible umbrella."

I am hoping someone who has been on this trip could give some advice about how necessary it is to bring one or both of these items. I try to pack as light as I can... bringing only what I really need.
Poncho? Umbrella? Both? Neither?

For example, do you use the poncho more that once?

* If using a poncho only once for a brief time, maybe you suggest bringing one of those lightweight, disposable ones they sell at/for sporting events... so that you use it and leave it behind?

* Or... if only using a poncho once/briefly, do they sell them there at a reasonable price - so you might recommend simply buying it there (and ideally leaving it behind)?

* However, if you use a poncho a few times and/or for an extended hike (or similar)... is it better to bring one from home that is lightweight, but more substantial than a disposable, plastic stadium poncho?

Thank you in advance for weighing in on this!

>>> In case it matters, I am traveling in September.

Comments

• Options
    90 people have seen this post the last week and not one has any experience to share?

Come on... I'll take whatever you have... no judgment - I promise!
  • Options
    Tauck tends to do very generic Packing lists. It's one of the things they badly need to improve. I can't remember whether your are going in dry or wet season, but Capetown can be wet. Do your reading and find out. Otherwise it is classed as desert. I never take a poncho on any Tour, but a lightweight folding jacket, probably not on this particular tour, but i always have a small lightweight umbrella in my bag, but again, not for the safari part.
    I really do not know what you mean about extended hikes. You will find that on most safari vacations you are just craving for exercise by the time you get home because you spend so much time sitting in safari vehicles safe from predators. This vacation does include walking safaris but not what I think of as hikes. I am not sure anyone will appreciate being left a poncho in sophisticated Capetown. Remember South Africa is a 1st world country with 3rd world problems, a bit like parts of the US really.
  • Options
    Thanks, British. I agree... a bit more detail on the packing lists would be helpful.

I've read some who say you get soaked at Victoria Falls and others who have said 'not so much'.

I will certainly look into the weather a bit more on my own, but was hoping to hear from someone who has taken the trip.

The write up makes it sound very different from our Bridges Tanzania trip (where we did not get too much exercise, except for the hike up part of Kili - which was great!)...

“A guided walking safari through a rhino sanctuary offers you a chance to see the great horned animals in their natural habitat. Then follow the sound of roaring water on a walking tour to Mosi-oa-Tunya – “The Smoke That Thunders” – which Livingstone named Victoria Falls. The site where the mile-wide Zambezi River plunges powerfully into a chasm more than 350 feet deep, sending billowing clouds of spray skyward like inverted rain, is sure to leave you speechless.” (day 2)

“A ferry transports you across the Zambezi River from Zambia to Botswana this morning, where you'll embark on a motorboat safari on the Chobe River." (day 3)

"Walking safari in Moremi Game Reserve" (days 4 and 5)

“First up this morning – a mokoro canoe safari." (day 6)

"take a walking safari with the local San Bushmen, learning how they use their legendary hunting and survival skills in this usually inhospitable environment." (day 7)

Hopefully I will also hear from someone on the trip!

No kidding - it just started to pour rain this very minute... a hard driving rain! Wow!!!
  • Options
    I am sure the walks are a slow pace, so we do not scare the wildlife. Remember the first rule of a Safari, if you see a wild animal don't run.
    When we went to Victoria Falls on the Zimbabwe side, we got wet from spray, but the humidity is high too. It was approximately at the same time of year. Of course it is too hot to wear the famous ponchos that Tauck 'recommends' lol too.
    As far as looking up the weather, I find that whenever Tauck says a light jacket may be required, I can almost guarantee that we will need one layer less than they say, the tours attract people older than myself and my husband, so I think Tauck covers for the older and colder people. I am just about to go to England and the oldest person on our trip sent out an email with the temperatures for next week and cautioning everyone to take sweaters, I know I won't need one, nor will the other two ex pats English people at the stated temperatures. My husband and and I grew up in homes without heat in the bedrooms and remember the ice on the inside of the Windows--- ah, those were the days!
  • Options
    Thanks again, British.

Just read the book "Whatever you do, don't run" - a lighthearted look at another side of these great trips!

Unless I get advice to the contrary... I will leave the poncho at home! If I need an umbrella in town, I will buy one on the street.

(I mostly worry about my camera equipment, but my bag has a rain cover.)

I will have a very thin waterproof jacket and an ultra-lightweight puff... so I can pretty much go anywhere! ;-)

• Options
    Hi Baystater, I did this tour last July and you do not need either item, in my opinion. The falls were almost at their peak in June/July but they provide ponchos, both Tauck and at the entrance to the falls. With that said, I got soaked, even w/ 2 ponchos. I carry a hooded windbreaker with me, when I traveled to Africa, just in case and it folds up into almost nothing and has a zippered pocket for my camera. I don't remember if this is your first trip to Africa, or not but I am in the planning stages of my 3rd trip, so most likely, you will return. I am not going with Tauck this time, as I am going to do a Mobile Safari.

If you had any questions that you may need answered, please don't hesitate to ask! I LOVE Africa!
    Susan
  • Options
    Carlsbadsue / Susan... Thanks for your feedback!

This will be my 2nd trip to Africa (2014 Tanzania/Bridges)... and am thrilled to see another part of the continent!

I will have a good size camera backpack as my day bag and my equipment (2 DSLR bodies, 1 with a super long lens, another with a more typical lens, etc.)... that is what I am trying to keep dry. The bag has a rain cover, but that does not cover it 100% (the part that goes on your back is exposed so you can wear it). Any suggestions for keeping the bag and equipment you are using dry?

May I ask... if you had on a hooded windbreaker (waterproof?) and 2 ponchos... how did you get so wet? ;-)

I'd love to hear about anything else you wished you had known about this trip... things you brought but didn't use... things you wish you had, etc. I've got all of the typical packing lists and have been on one other safari, so it is not my first rodeo... but would love to hear from you.

I find the preparation and packing to be a fun part of the anticipation of an adventure like this. I'm not an extremest, but I generally try to pack as light as possible (carry-on only almost 100% of the time for years now)... so advice on that and anything else you think of would be welcome and appreciated!

Thanks again for taking the time to chime in!

Best of luck on your Mobile Safari!
  • Options
    BayStater, because the falls were at peak flow, or close to it, the water sprays from every direction in great quantities! I am trying to jog my memory and I suspect that I got so wet, as the force of the water creates lots of air movement, which comes at you from all angles. I do recall saying to one of the guides, "I am miserable". I'm such a wuss! I don't take a DSLR but a Canon with 50x zoom, which has served me well, although I am sure your pics are superior to mine.

I also travel light, although I did check a bag and carried a backpack. Due to the fact that you will have laundry services at hotels, I would just pack 3-4 outfits and rotate. As you are aware NO one remembers what you wear and so what, if they do. I took one nice outfit for the last night in Cape Town. I took a sidecar tour in Cape Town, so I didn't go on the city tour. Safari wear is fine for that too.

I'm just thinking about how to keep your camera dry, as you want to be able to use it. The ponchos are the type that you put on over your head, so if you have your camera under the poncho you couldn't get to it. I am sorry but....I don't know what to suggest. Maybe get an additional poncho for your camera and keep it in front of you? I will give it some more thought.

Susan
  • Options
    There are locking plastic waterproof bags you can buy at Bestbuy for your camera. I have bought some for our trip. They work well.
  • Options
    Thank you both! I will look into the waterproof camera bag... and think more about staying dry in all the mist and spray!

I'm with you on the high-fashion-safari... not! :-)
  • Options
    Ok, so poncho, waterproof jacket--how many jackets, fleece, etc.? I just tried to put everything in my 20" roll-aboard and it's really tight. Need to leave some stuff out. Want to bring only essentials--but having trouble figuring out what the essentials really are. Down jacket, down vest, fleece, waterproof/rain jacket, poncho? I could take up a whole suitcase just with that! HELP!!!!!!
  • Options
    In my opinion, you have too many jackets. I would not take a vest and down jacket. I took a thin down jacket, which folded up in to its own pocket. I don't know that I would take fleece, as well, since the days are quite warm. I only used my jacket in the early mornings and evenings. The only time I wore my poncho was at the falls and I really didn't even have to have brought that, since both Tauck and the people at the falls provided a poncho.

Just my thoughts, as I too, like to travel light.
  • Options
    Fleeces take up too much room, since the invention of the down jackets you just don't need them. also, when you go to the Falls, just wear your lightest and most easily washable outfit in case you get drenched, that's what I plan to do.
    Plastic bag for camera, my hubby is taking a ziplock bag, Tauck always mentions taking big ones on tours. Useful if you find yourself with mucky shoes, a wet swimsuit that has no time to dry out befor moving on and so on.
  • Options
    Ok, so poncho, waterproof jacket--how many jackets, fleece, etc.? I just tried to put everything in my 20" roll-aboard and it's really tight. Need to leave some stuff out. Want to bring only essentials--but having trouble figuring out what the essentials really are. Down jacket, down vest, fleece, waterproof/rain jacket, poncho? I could take up a whole suitcase just with that! HELP!!!!!!

From what I gather and based on one other safari trip, I'd agree that a down jacket and vest is probably overkill. I love the pack-able down jackets by Patagonia, NorthFace, etc. that stuff into their own pocket. That ought to cover you for warmth. If you have a lightweight waterproof jacket, those two items (used separately or together) ought to take you just about anywhere!

If I do bring a poncho, I would ditch it after the falls. In trying to travel light, I generally plan shed some things as I go... making room for bringing a few treats home!

Many of us would appreciate more guidance from Tauck on packing for specific trips and even times of the year!