Options

Trains to Edinburgh from London

We're considering tacking on this tour (ESW) to the end of our Seine Versaille London cruise. The cruise ends in London so I'm doing some research on train options to Edinburch. It appears East Coast main line and Virgin Trains are the two options. Looking for help from those of you who have some knowledge of the differences. We'd like the more eastern route to hopefully see a bit of the country not covered by the tour. Are there significant differences in price, comfort, duration, etc. between the two train lines?

Comments

• Options
    Claudia, East Coast and Virgin are one and the same these days, Branson's lot took them over a while ago, but it is the route which is known as the East Coast Main Line and you are correct that this route is the best.
    You need www.virgintrainseastcoast.com . The West Coast route is very long winded.
    I live on this line at Newark-on-Trent and use it regularly to London where it generally runs very well. I must say that I travel always First Class. I think it is worth the extra as Standard Class does get a bit "cosy" at times.
    The trick is to book as early as possible. I think they open a limited number of "advance" special price at about 10 weeks before travel to get the best price. That means you have to book a specific train and to get it at best price it will be non-refundable, but will allocate you seats of choice.
    Hope that is helpful
    Richard
  • Options
    Yes. Helpful. Sorry I'm a little late iin responding. In the wilds of the Adirondacks with li ited WiFi access.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file