Options

High Speed Boat Ride

The A/NZ trip features "he high-speed jet boat ride* through the rapids and narrow gorges of Skippers Canyon on the Shooter River." Sound great, but we decided against the African Safari tours because of a bad back and the rides in the land rover. Now I am concerned with 50 MPH in the rapids. Would appreciate comments from past travelers if this is a real bounce type experience which could be a problem for a bad back. Already booked the tour for 2017, so we are committed, but would like to know if we will have to sit out this day that seems really great. Thoughts? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2016
    This is one of the most fantastic and frightening things I have ever experienced. The boat does make a very sharp and sudden swerving turn just as you think you are going to hurtle into the cliffs in front of you. But having said that, I would be more worried if you had a heart condition than a back problem. I have to say that I found the ride along the very, very narrow, steep and winding road up the mountain, with sheer steep drops just out of your window, to get to the river much more frightening. There really was no room for error for the driver and it's a long ride up there. I trusted the boat drivers completely, I talked to them about their training and they have to rack up many many hours before they can be let loose. Then the helicopter ride out of there, it made me feel like James Bond's latest conquest!
  • Options
    Thanks, British. I can always count on you for advise and I respect your feelings from having been there and done that. Where haven't you been??. Sandman
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Where haven't I been. Lots of places! Trying to see the more far flung and exotic places before I get too old. Another year until my hubby retires, then, if we can afford it, we will perhaps do more each year. We have given the children some money, we have started the 529's for the grandchildren. The rest is for us, we started with nothing, studied hard, worked our butts off, scrimped and saved.... Now we are having fun in a more luxurious way! Trouble is, we are already going back to places that we have been to, and more than once. And then there are about 18 more US states to visit as we get older and more and more wanting to stay near to a doctor or hospital!
  • Options
    The ride down to the boat is an experience...have you driven along some of the mountain roads in the western US, the same sort of a deal. The driver has lots of experience.

The boat ride is a tad scary, for sure. I was very happy to see the dock again.

The helicopter ride was great.

This is all in the environs of Queenstown NZ. But I think we spent too much time in Queenstown, there was not that much to do there and a day less would have been satisfactory. We spend an few hours in the shops and then we were bored after seeing all the souvenir shops twice.

• Options
    I've just noticed this last post. We thoroughly enjoyed Queenstown and found plenty to do when we were there, lovely walks through the gardens, the zoo, more daring things to do too, like bungee jumping and parachute jumping etc etc. one of my favorite stops in New Zealand, would love to go to this town again.
  • Options
    The ride's sort of like riding a bucking bronco. You hold tightly on to the bar in front of you to keep from flying all over the place (or out of the boat). They outfit you in rain-gear - pants and a rain parka to keep you from getting drenched from all the spray they work up. The one problem with the rain parka is the hood to it wants to slide down over your eyes. So... bringing along a ball cap to wear under the rain parka's hood will keep your eyes unencumbered. And then you can see while you bounce and hold on for dear life :-)
  • Options
    You'll see the boat before you get on and can make a last minute decision. In any event, go -- and if you must, enjoy the scenery in the mountains and then just hop on the helicopter, which is amazing and is not something you should skip. The whole day was the "adrenaline day" for us and I do agree with British that the bus trip down was a heart stopper as the trails are SO very narrow. We enjoyed Queenstown and like others visited the zoo and strolled through the parks, and really liked talking with the young people from all over the world who are there working. THis whole trip is really a fantastic one.
  • Options
    Yes, the ride down to the river has a significant elevation change and many twists and turns. Having lived in the Rocky Mountains and the Sierra Nevada's in California it was really not a problem at all. Everyone in our Tauck group loved their ride on the Shotover River. It is a very well run operation and you will have fun with a few thrills along the way. The chopper ride out was magnificent as we had an unusual summer snowstorm overnight. The entire Queenstown area was fun. Get out and explore. Walk the streets and enjoy this sports capital of the southern hemisphere. We sure did.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file