electrical converter

I'm booked on the September 20th Elegant Adventure trip and from what I have read on the blogs, it seems that you need to bring an electrical converter as well as an adapter plug set. When I was recently in Kenya and Tanzania we did not need an electrical converter - the adapter plug set was all that was necessary, so before I order a converter, I just want to make sure I really need it. Thank's

Comments

• Most devices are now "dual voltage" meaning they are designed to operate safely with either 110/120V or 220/240V systems. If a device is dual voltage, all that will be needed to operate it in a foreign country is an adapter plug, to convert the device's electric plug to the style of foreign electric socket.

A converter is needed only if a device is not dual voltage.

To determine whether a device is dual voltage, look for a legend on its power adapter "box" or on the device itself.

The device is dual voltage if its input rating covers both 110/120 and 220/240V systems. It will say something like:
    INPUT: AC 100V - 240V, 50/60Hz

The device is not dual voltage if it covers only 110/120 or 220/240V systems. It will say something like:
    INPUT: AC 120V, 60Hz or INPUT: AC 240V, 50Hz
  • Thank's rabo - that is pretty much what I thought, but I believe it was Tauck's Emily who answered a blog saying a converter was necessary so I was just double checking.
  • Yes, in Zambia we got a message a converter was needed. So that's why we are confused as we are getting two different answers. Yes, we have the needed adapters but being told small camps in Kalarhi a converter is needed. We were concern the small camps providing electricity were not on 110-240?

• Do a web search for Camp Kalahari Makgadikgadi Salt Pan Botswana. What I found indicates that there is NO electricity!
  • edited June 2013
    Khwai River Lodge Moremi game Reserve and Cpm Kallahari Makgadikgadi Pans is where we are concerned....just got an email from Royal Livingston in Zambia saying we needed a converter?
    Confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I'm booked on the September 20th Elegant Adventure trip and from what I have read on the blogs, it seems that you need to bring an electrical converter as well as an adapter plug set. When I was recently in Kenya and Tanzania we did not need an electrical converter - the adapter plug set was all that was necessary, so before I order a converter, I just want to make sure I really need it. Thank's
This discussion has been closed.