Options

electrical converter

I'm booked on the September 20th Elegant Adventure trip and from what I have read on the blogs, it seems that you need to bring an electrical converter as well as an adapter plug set. When I was recently in Kenya and Tanzania we did not need an electrical converter - the adapter plug set was all that was necessary, so before I order a converter, I just want to make sure I really need it. Thank's

Comments

• Options
    Most devices are now "dual voltage" meaning they are designed to operate safely with either 110/120V or 220/240V systems. If a device is dual voltage, all that will be needed to operate it in a foreign country is an adapter plug, to convert the device's electric plug to the style of foreign electric socket.

A converter is needed only if a device is not dual voltage.

To determine whether a device is dual voltage, look for a legend on its power adapter "box" or on the device itself.

The device is dual voltage if its input rating covers both 110/120 and 220/240V systems. It will say something like:
    INPUT: AC 100V - 240V, 50/60Hz

The device is not dual voltage if it covers only 110/120 or 220/240V systems. It will say something like:
    INPUT: AC 120V, 60Hz or INPUT: AC 240V, 50Hz
  • Options
    Thank's rabo - that is pretty much what I thought, but I believe it was Tauck's Emily who answered a blog saying a converter was necessary so I was just double checking.
  • Options
    Yes, in Zambia we got a message a converter was needed. So that's why we are confused as we are getting two different answers. Yes, we have the needed adapters but being told small camps in Kalarhi a converter is needed. We were concern the small camps providing electricity were not on 110-240?

• Options
    Do a web search for Camp Kalahari Makgadikgadi Salt Pan Botswana. What I found indicates that there is NO electricity!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Khwai River Lodge Moremi game Reserve and Cpm Kallahari Makgadikgadi Pans is where we are concerned....just got an email from Royal Livingston in Zambia saying we needed a converter?
    Confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm booked on the September 20th Elegant Adventure trip and from what I have read on the blogs, it seems that you need to bring an electrical converter as well as an adapter plug set. When I was recently in Kenya and Tanzania we did not need an electrical converter - the adapter plug set was all that was necessary, so before I order a converter, I just want to make sure I really need it. Thank's
This discussion has been closed.