Are the city visits worth it?

Trying to decide between the Botswana and the Elegant Adventure tours. The former spends more time in animal preserves, one in the desert, and the latter spends time in Johannesburg. Is J-burg just another big city or are there significant cultural things to see? I imagine Soweto will be a site not to be missed.

Comments

• I did the Elegant Adventure trip in Fall 2012. I really enjoyed Johannesburg. Tauck books a hotel in a safe area and you can explore a bit by foot. Soweto was interesting; I also enjoyed seeing the Hector Pieterson Memorial Site (included in our tour) and the Apartheid Museum (not on the tour but I did on my free time and this was fantastic - really make the effort to visit but it takes several hours). I thought the two days spent here was insightful to the life of common people in South Africa.
  • Did the Elegant Adventure a few months ago and I totally agree with smarks50. As much as I love being on safari, I really loved Cape Town and Johannesburg. We saw and learned so many interesting things about the country and I'm so glad I didn't miss it - perfect blend of culture and safari. Amazing trip!
  • Agree about Cape Town that I didn't mention in my first post. I arrived two days before the tour and used that time to explore the wine region (Stellenbosch and Franschhoek) and the Kirstenbosch Gardens by a private tour arranged before leaving home. I also liked the waterfront near the hotel - nice shopping and restaurants there. Saw all of this and still got rested before the official tour started. Loved Cape Town and would return any time.
  • Thanks all for helping me in this decision. Got similar views from Tauck agents and from others who visited the cities.
    :)
  • Larry C...Although I do not agree with the others who answered your question, I do understand why they feel as they do. More importantly, I totally respect their opinions.

I grew up in urban Africa during the independence years of the 1960s and early 70s. In Yaoundé, the capitol of the Cameroons (West Africa), we had a government machine gun nest in our front yard to repel communist insurgents. In Uganda, Idi Amin's thugs held my family at gun point during one of our trips to Kampala. In Rwanda, we regularly witnessed the open animosity between the Hutus and the Tutsi on the streets of Kigali. After we returned to the U.S., that animosity exploded into the horrific genocide that took the lives of untold thousands of innocents. Today, these - and other - experiences cause me to give population centers in Africa - and elsewhere - a wide berth.

I am irresistibly drawn to the unparalleled scenery and iconic wildlife of rural Africa. The African "bush" is ruled by Nature's prime law of survival of the fittest. Violence is a part of every day. Even so, I am more comfortable with the predictability of nature's laws than I am with man's senseless cruelness to his fellow man. The faster I can get from the airport into the bush, the better I like it.

Just my humble opinion...Leo M
  • edited January 2014
    I can understand why you have formed your opinions, Leo. I have heard stories from friends here who worked in the colonial services in west Africa. I can also understand your eagerness to go bush. We have a similar attitude down here in Oz. Going walkabout has evolved to include new Australians in the practise (along with our indigenous Aussies). Our grey nomads just bust their boilers to go bush!

Cheers,

Jan

Note: grey nomad: A retired person who travels independently and for an extended period within their own country, particularly in a caravan or motor home. Nearest possible synonym … but not really … snow birder.
  • Did the Elegant Adventure a few months ago and I totally agree with smarks50. As much as I love being on safari, I really loved Cape Town and Johannesburg. We saw and learned so many interesting things about the country and I'm so glad I didn't miss it - perfect blend of culture and safari. Amazing trip!

We just booked Elegant Adventure and would love to know more about what to bring, what to expect, etc. if you'd like to e-mail me at
    supersecdd at aol dot com
    Thanks.
    Debbie
    Delray Beach, FL
  • Supersecdd: If you pose questions about some specific issues I will try to assist; your request is very general.